Bob Carver, a constant force of nature.

9th Annual CarverFest Sep 9-23
Robert R
TFM-75

Bob Carver, a constant force of nature.

Post by Robert R » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:51 am

As I awaken this morning and gradually remember where I am, I also remember what happened here yesterday afternoon, about six feet from my little improvised pallet/bed in Cabin Two, when Bob Carver sat down and performed a miracle on a homemade amplifier. I knew he'd fall in love at first sight of it, and he did. Then in a short but crazy-busy couple of hours, he took it from an unstable two watt amplifier with pretty hideous frequency response and a bunch of intermittent connections to a very stable 10+ watt amp that sounds wonderful, and even has a Gundry dip as a bonus.

In this age we are expected to analyze our feelings about everything. So how did this make me feel? Well, a bit proud, to have some small hand on bringing together the collection of people that led to this little triumph. And a lot more than a bit lucky, just to be present to see it all happen. There may be two or three other guys in the whole world who could have done what Bob did here, but I don't know who they are or how to find them. Also, I still feel kind of stunned, by Bob's endless enthusiasm. I pretty much knew it would go like this, but there's still a level of awe to deal with. You couldn't have pulled him off that thing with Clydesdales - it's an act of love that's almost incomprehensible.

The old atmosphere was all there - time speeds up - Bob asking for things and others diving in to provide them:
Better light? Here you go, Bob. Wonderful!
Some hookup wire? Of course - what color, what gauge, and how much?
Strippers? Right here, and here's some more coffee.
Can you give me 50 Hertz? Any Hertz you want. And here's a piece of Ray's unparalleled carrot cake.

Greg's stuff provided most everything, and he got back from town just in time to show Bob how to operate unfamiliar test equipment. The owner/builder, Old Texas Dog, did very admirably well, especially as this was his first encounter with Hurricane Bob. He mostly just watched it all happen, and that's always the smart move. It didn't take Bob more than a couple of minutes to change the the design from ultralinear to something he prefers, and to convince James Michael (OTD) that it was for the best. The final move was revamped feedback, and now she's stable as can be.

The amp was never once hooked to speakers until Bob was done with it; then we fed it into some Silver Amazings. Of course that's a monumental mismatch - they are way too power hungry, but that's all we had handy. I'm a known non-fan of tubes, but up to a certain level, just below clipping, I'd have to say my Silvers never sounded better.

Besides all of this, Bob found time to check out Greg's M-500t Mk II upgrades - one in progress, and one just finished and on its maiden test run. He loves the idea of the added power - can't stop grinning. Visiting all this classic gear he built is for him like watching his children grow up and succeed beyond his fondest hopes.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

jldeni

Re: Bob Carver, a constant force of nature.

Post by jldeni » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for your reporting and recording of the event, Robert. I am keeping tabs of all the related threads. Makes me wish I was there to see it all first hand. Enjoy!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 am

Wow.... That is really really cool! I've been a huge fan of Bob Carver since I was a teenager being shown a full tilt boogey Phase Liner set up a friend on mine's step dad had... I will be at CF! I'd love nothing more then to simply shake his hand and say thank you for bringing so much joy in my life. Music is something I love, and the recreation of it in my home as been one of the few pleasures life has provided for me.

LVMAN777

Post by LVMAN777 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:53 am

Great Report Robert...

Thank You

Bob
Carver Amazing Loudspeakers- Originals/Upgraded with 60 inch ribbons /crossovers
Sunfire 300x2 Amplifier
Sunfire Theater Grand III Preamp/Processor
Technics SL-DL1 Turntable with Grado Green Cartridge
Optima HD26 1080P DLP Projector
120 inch Motorized Projection Screen

Carver ALS III Speakers
Grado SR80 Headphones
Infinity Beta 20 Bookshelf Speakers

Apogee Caliper Speakers for Rebuilding

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:12 am

Robert R wrote:As I awaken this morning and gradually remember where I am, I also remember what happened here yesterday afternoon, about six feet from my little improvised pallet/bed in Cabin Two, when Bob Carver sat down and performed a miracle on a homemade amplifier. I knew he'd fall in love at first sight of it, and he did. Then in a short but crazy-busy couple of hours, he took it from an unstable two watt amplifier with pretty hideous frequency response and a bunch of intermittent connections to a very stable 10+ watt amp that sounds wonderful, and even has a Gundry dip as a bonus.

In this age we are expected to analyze our feelings about everything. So how did this make me feel? Well, a bit proud, to have some small hand on bringing together the collection of people that led to this little triumph. And a lot more than a bit lucky, just to be present to see it all happen. There may be two or three other guys in the whole world who could have done what Bob did here, but I don't know who they are or how to find them. Also, I still feel kind of stunned, by Bob's endless enthusiasm. I pretty much knew it would go like this, but there's still a level of awe to deal with. You couldn't have pulled him off that thing with Clydesdales - it's an act of love that's almost incomprehensible.

The old atmosphere was all there - time speeds up - Bob asking for things and others diving in to provide them:
Better light? Here you go, Bob. Wonderful!
Some hookup wire? Of course - what color, what gauge, and how much?
Strippers? Right here, and here's some more coffee.
Can you give me 50 Hertz? Any Hertz you want. And here's a piece of Ray's unparalleled carrot cake.

Greg's stuff provided most everything, and he got back from town just in time to show Bob how to operate unfamiliar test equipment. The owner/builder, Old Texas Dog, did very admirably well, especially as this was his first encounter with Hurricane Bob. He mostly just watched it all happen, and that's always the smart move. It didn't take Bob more than a couple of minutes to change the the design from ultralinear to something he prefers, and to convince James Michael (OTD) that it was for the best. The final move was revamped feedback, and now she's stable as can be.

The amp was never once hooked to speakers until Bob was done with it; then we fed it into some Silver Amazings. Of course that's a monumental mismatch - they are way too power hungry, but that's all we had handy. I'm a known non-fan of tubes, but up to a certain level, just below clipping, I'd have to say my Silvers never sounded better.

Besides all of this, Bob found time to check out Greg's M-500t Mk II upgrades - one in progress, and one just finished and on its maiden test run. He loves the idea of the added power - can't stop grinning. Visiting all this classic gear he built is for him like watching his children grow up and succeed beyond his fondest hopes.

RR
OTD is good people. Glad his amp is now tweaked to work best with the Carverfest Speakers he's no doubt frothing at the mouth to get build and playing music.

I hope to GOD he had Bob sign the amp, because well not many folks can say Bob Carver personally rebuilt and tweaked my amp.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 am

I did . It was awsom# I learned more in those couple of hours than I ever knew.
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

PDR
TFM-45

Post by PDR » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm

That was very cool.
One of the best reads I've had in a long time.
Thanks for it Robert, outstanding.

James , congrats, I know how much this trip means to you,
and how special that amp will be to you.

Perry

trav0810
TFM-35

Post by trav0810 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Robert, thanks for the report. Your log helps those that aren't able to attend feel like they are still part of the Fest. I can't wait to get there and see you and James again and to meet the rest of the gang!

Return to “CARVERFEST 2015”