Carverfest 2015 speaker build

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Re: Carverfest 2015 speaker build

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Question? Well 2 Questions 8-[

Question one-I can't seem to find the link on the CF stand build where James had the floor spikes? mm I think but I know he must have picked some good ones. I just wanted to order them so they would be waiting when I got back \:D/

Question TWO- Can I have both worlds? IE: The XLR terms built into the stands I ordered and the speaker and a pair of regular speaker terms on the back? If so do I need to bring a set of the regulars with me?
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Opps I believe I found it? Would these work?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... s--240-715

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Now just question 2 I think?
Thanks all \:D/

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:02 pm

All speakers will have XLR plugs. Anybody who chooses to can add the rear binding posts. The hole locations will be marked, so just two holes to drill and a couple of extra wires - pretty simple.
RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:39 pm

Robert R wrote:All speakers will have XLR plugs. Anybody who chooses to can add the rear binding posts. The hole locations will be marked, so just two holes to drill and a couple of extra wires - pretty simple.
RR
So we need binding posts to add if we want the rear option? Recommendations?
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Wayne, my understanding was that James will supply the binding posts. I'll ask him to confirm that, but don't buy anything yet.

Robert

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks Robert!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Robert R wrote:Wayne, my understanding was that James will supply the binding posts. I'll ask him to confirm that, but don't buy anything yet.

Robert

Thanks from me also Robert!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:05 am

oldtexasdog wrote:Opps I believe I found it? Would these work?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... s--240-715
If you click on the Detail Spec Sheets of each spike, it will show you the size of the threaded post used.
YES, the one above uses a 6mm threaded shaft. It will work just fine with the bases.

Here is the spec sheet for the one you are looking at.
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/tec ... iagram.pdf

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:39 am

kingman wrote:
Robert R wrote:All speakers will have XLR plugs. Anybody who chooses to can add the rear binding posts. The hole locations will be marked, so just two holes to drill and a couple of extra wires - pretty simple.
RR
So we need binding posts to add if we want the rear option? Recommendations?
Every speaker includes a single pair of binding posts. However, I we are NOT drilling the large 3/8" holes in the back of the speakers. We will "mark" where the holes need to be drilled if you want to mount the binding posts to the speakers themselves.

The reasoning behind this is, not knowing how many people would or would not be using our stands, which are designed to work in conjunction with the speakers themselves, using an interlocking mini XLR connector, we did not want to have 2 large 3/8" holes in the back of the speakers that would need to be sealed air tight if the stands are being used. The stands will also have the binding post locations marked. Everyone can choose where they will put their binding posts themselves. I know it may not seem like much at $7 a set... But when you add up the cost... 4 sets for 60 sets of speakers.... that little $7 set of parts becomes a $1,700 bill worth of parts that may or may not even be used. In trying to keep the speaker kit and stand prices under control, these kinds of decisions had to be made. Same exact thing with the spikes... We opted to tap the holes, so you can choose... if, and which spikes you would be using.

For everyone going to CarverFest, we will be bringing our mini drill press, and cordless drills with us, you will be able to drill them yourself, or ask someone to help you.

We only purchased enough binding posts to cover the quantities of speaker sets sold. We figured everyone would use one or the other. You really can't use both at the same time anyway.
If anyone should want (2) sets of binding posts, one for the speakers, and a 2nd set for the stands, here is the link to order yourself a 2nd set.
These are the same binding posts I have been using for years. They are the same ones I used on the 8' tall ALS Bob and I are building.
I have been buying from this supplier for about 5 years. Very good quality and fast shipping. Highly recommended.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Speaker- ... 27bf55ba88

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:28 am

OK only familiar with xlr's going from amp to pre-amp. Do they make an adapter to connect and terminate to amp? Or just bring speaker wire and soldier in to connectors? Educate me?

Grill covers for speakers? No mention for a while: will these be option at later date? IMHO will give speaker a more finished/professional look over side firing drivers. Know time is short currently.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:26 am

Don wrote:OK only familiar with xlr's going from amp to pre-amp. Do they make an adapter to connect and terminate to amp? Or just bring speaker wire and soldier in to connectors? Educate me?

Grill covers for speakers? No mention for a while: will these be option at later date? IMHO will give speaker a more finished/professional look over side firing drivers. Know time is short currently.
Mini XLR... You'll see.

BYO speaker wire.

Grills.... sort of. Again, you'll see.

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:31 am

the binding posts that are included will accept banana plugs correct? :-k 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am

James - Thanks for the final word on the posts. Hope you are getting some sleep, on odd occasions.

Balancing the risk of insulting overkill vs. complete clarity, I would just mention that once the rear openings are drilled out by the kit builder, those holes can't be left unfilled. So be sure you really mean it.

An XLR adapter with speaker wires attached back to the amp sounds very handy - in my own case it would keep me from adding the rear posts. Not being able to even test-run the speaker at all without it's being on the stand seems restrictive, somehow. Of course, even with such an adapter the unit would have to be run upside down, with the wire coming out on top. But can we buy just half a mini XLR plug?

RobertR

BTW, we now have blue and violet wires - 500' of each, already loaded into my truck.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:49 am

Al - the posts are standard 5-way. Bananas OK.
RR

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”