Carverfest 2015 speaker build

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Carverfest 2015 speaker build

Post by Don » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Excellent. =D>
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

"Your integrity will always be remembered longer than your prosperity."

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

dfronk
M-400t CUBE

Post by dfronk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the congrats on the speakers. It was a lot of fun making them. The dimensions are 5x5.5x 10H. I used a true 1/2" cherry wood and fitting everything in was very easy. No issues at all. The back has a "trap door" that can be opened or closed at will. The xover was attached to that back door. I had to place the xover just right because one of the caps was fairly tall and would not fit because of some interference with one of the speaker driver magnets. But that was the only adjustment that was made on the fly. It was a pain to get the trap door fully sealed. But once that was accomplished the speakers really "sung". BTW I'm 20m just south of Hartford, WI. I'll post some additional build pictures when I have a chance.
TGR-401, CT-17, SD/A360, HR-772, 2x HR-752, HR-722, Technics SL-1700 Turntable, Speakers - ESS amt Monitor, ESS amt 10b, Definitive Technology Bipolar BP-1X, Pro Center C2, and the Sony APM-22ES.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:43 pm

dfronk wrote:I just finished the CF 2015 speaker build \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ . Made out of cherry. They sound fantastic!!! Here is a picture.
To quote my friend Taz.....schweet

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

oldtexasdog
TFM-6cb

Post by oldtexasdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:07 pm

Outstanding workmanship =D> =D> Simply Outstanding \:D/
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 am

oldtexasdog wrote:Outstanding workmanship =D> =D> Simply Outstanding \:D/
OTD ping me please

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Finally getting around to building the speakers I got almost 3 years ago. Figured I'd better do it before starting on the amps.

Ran into 1 minor snag. Came up about 3 in short on the sealing tape for the ribbons. Am I correct in assuming that the tape is metal duct sealing tape?

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Yes, thats all it is, its just so you dont have air leakage around the drivers! could use many other things ae well! Like RTV sealant! 8)
2-Carver Crimson 275 vacuum tube amps,Carver C-1 tfm 42. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carver Amazing Silver speakers in oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:39 pm

You are welcome to use rtv.

It's bad enough using it on a car. Never can keep from getting as much on me as the gasket.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Opps....sorry

Mahogany Rush IV-Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

on TheNewOfficeRig(tm)

IMG_4606.JPG
ray
Magnaryder

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Is there any chance there is another goodie bag of speaker stand guts around.

I checked everything off against the parts list when I got the kit but didn't catch that it should have been 2 baggies.
Short 1 set of wire, mini xlr, braded sheath, heat shrink and screws.

I've got enough wire left from the speakers. Cam put my hands on the standard screws with a little digging and have the heat shrink.

Need braded sheath, mini xlr and 5mmx18mm screws

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Also need the pads

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:07 pm

I recently bought another set of Sonorous Fest Speakers,for a bedroom setup, and when doing some fairly serious frequency glide testing of them, I discovered a couple of picky things that seem worth mentioning:

First – I noted some squawkiness at around 294 Hz, right on the note D4. My response for that up to now (in my other CF speakers) had been to attenuate the response around that note with a high-Q notch filter in my DSP – things just sounded better, cleaner that way, but of course it leaves you with a hole in your response curve - one de-emphasized note. The frequency of the problem varied with changes in listener location, so I suspect it is all about some acoustic interference – likely phase cancellation. Can't think of a cure for that, except to employ the trick of repositioning the speakers slightly so that from where I sit the problem point appears at a frequency midway between notes. Moved them back just a little, and now it centers right on 300 Hz, midway between D and D#. Maybe a tiny improvement, though hardly earth shaking.

Next – a much more obvious problem, with a lot more positive treatment. There is a nasty buzzing evident midway between 164 and 172 Hz. Quite bit worse in one channel than the other, but it's not a bad driver, or a wire hitting against the back of a cone, or a missing driver-mounting screw – it turns out to be caused by sympathetic vibration of the power resistors in the crossover! There are five of them in there and, being all the same physical size, they all vibrate at about the same frequency, sounding like a hornet's nest. Particularly if they are mounted slightly elevated off the board, at a certain volume they will scream harmonic distortion whenever somebody hits the E below Middle C. The channel I had that was producing more of this distortion clearly had its resistors mounted looser, above the board (or above the coil in the case of the middle one).
My solution was to dismount the speaker, lay it on its back, remove the tweeter and the central wad of fiber-fill, and dab some flowable silicone sealer below, beside, and between those resistors – enough to render them virtually motionless. I used windshield sealer (VersaChem 75009, from O'Reilly's; other auto stores sell Permatex 81730). If you do this, avoid coating the tops of the resistors too heavily, as they need to be able to dissipate heat, though I must add that the wattage spec of these resistors is well into the overkill range – they rarely get even slightly warm (recall that the famous torture experiment at the 2015 Fest, which fried the side-drivers, did no harm to the crossovers).
A non-magnetic tool is best for accurately applying this stuff; wood works fine – I used a popsicle stick; a chopstick would do the job as well.

Did both channels the same way, of course, and let the silicone to set a few hours, then replaced the fiber fill and the ribbons – all done and ready to test, except...
If you do this, don't remount the speaker just yet. There's another trick to play.

Louder frequency glide testing had disclosed another problem, centered sharply at 325 Hz, at which point the upright support in my custom setup does a lot of vibration, and some quite audible buzzing – pretty nasty. Note: these special uprights are just 20” long, as they're attached atop two-foot high (AL3) woofers, and sit just six feet from my ears; the stock supports are 47'', and would therefore resonate at different frequencies. Anyhow, the cure was to take a long-enough dowel and use it to shove a few (I used 3, but the much longer originals would want maybe 7 or 8) everyday empty plastic grocery bags into the column, to damp it. Obviously you want to have the feed-through wire held in place before stuffing the bags in there. Anyhow, this trick tamed that resonance down to where it's no longer noticeable.

With it all put together those certain notes offend no longer. I revamped my response curve a bit, to where it's now a bit flatter and simpler.

At this point I have no hesitation is stating that the CF speakers sound cleaner than any of my seven pairs of 48'' ribbons. And the sound-stage produced in my trinaural LR setup with three of these little wonders is unbelievably, staggeringly huge. It's kind of mind-boggling how such small speakers can create this immense acoustic envelope, and then sort of vanish into it. Now that I have both systems running with AL3 woofers plus subs to supplement the bottom octave, they are truly full-range reproducers. The EQ curves for the mini DSP were a lot easier to get dialed in than with the 48” ribbons; the CF speakers still retain their original passive crossover, of course, and they're are a whole lot smoother in response to start with than ribbons run directly off a power amp.

Naturally they are also less efficient than bare ribbons, so for overall balance the gain to the amp that feeds the more sensitive woofers has to be reduced; how much depends on room size and speaker/listener location, as always. The DSP handles such problems with ease. In a good-sized room a pretty powerful amp makes a noticeable improvement with these. Thus a TFM-45 is clearly preferable to a TFM-15, e.g. And I mean 'clearly' in a couple of senses...

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Robert, thanks for the continued experimentation and filling us in on your progress. I James' speakers daily in TheNewOfficeRig(tm) powered by a pristine M500. The rig sounds great. Speaks are 5-6 ft from side walls, 1-12ft from rear wall and 5-6 ft away from my ears. I'm running no equalization right now.

ray
Magnaryder

UncleMeat
TFM-35

Post by UncleMeat » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Yes, thank you Robert for your analysis. BY EAR (on my system) it sounds like maybe the side drivers could use a bit more HF attenuation. I don't know what the crossover curves look like but I think there are more phase interactions between the drivers than we think (or can measure). Anything I play that has a brightness/sharpness to it seems to accentuate the phase errors. Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing for most songs.

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”