Hugely Spacious Soundstage Tracks ????

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Hugely Spacious Soundstage Tracks ????

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 pm

I need a list of audio tracks that in general provide a very wide soundstage. I have quite a few of my own personal favorites, but I know you guys listen to a lot of music I probably don't.
So if you have a few tracks that stand out in your mind as really well done, with a really wide soundstage please list them.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Hugely Spacious Soundstage Tracks ????

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 pm

IIRC, Angelo had some music that fits what you're looking for. He was using it what he was working on his line-arrays at the 'Fest several years ago

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 pm

1 reply... really?

jesus

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:02 pm

No beotch...2! I PMd you also \:D/

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:56 pm

I mean from the "forum" in general...

I might have to go post on the other one if no one chimes in here ](*,)

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Pink Floyd... Money
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Take Me-Grand Funk Railroad

ray
Magnaryder

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Quit your whining! :lol:

For Starters:

Muddy Waters: Folk Singer CD Cut "The Same Thing"

Jack Johnson: Sleep through the Static Cut "Go On"

Kenny Rankin: Because of You Cut "Erienda" Played at your Home-Wood Blocks 180 degrees to left of sitting position

Sade: Stronger than Pride Cut "Paradise"

Jack Johnson: Rhythms Del Mundo Cut "Better Together

Coldplay: Rhythms Del Mundo Cut: "Clocks"

Cowboy Junkies Trinity Revisited Cut: "Blue Moon Revisited"

Dave Mathews Under the table and Dreaming Cut: #34

Dave Mathews Crash Cut "Let you Down"
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 am

Amused to Death

Skip to 3:40

SACD coming out this week?
Carverfest 10: Celebrating the life of our TNRabbit

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Great posts guys !! Thank you.

Mark, here's a cool find in regards to your last post

http://www.qsound.com/spotlight/users/r ... rtists.htm

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:34 pm

I notice nothing in those lists is more recent than 2002. I also notice that most on there I would judge, without knowing for sure, to be the type of music to be processed to death.

I can assure you from 30 years experience in working with dynamic processing of the usual types, one of the first things to go is the subtle, yet important spatial information. It's why in processing we had first external, then more recently, internal tools to try and "spread" the audio back out. It's brute force though and nothing like the original information.

So to get to the point, if it is as suspected, most of the recordings present there have been squashed and they are trying to restore some feeling of the dimensionality by using the Q sound tools to get something back. That's too bad. I'd love to find one that hasn't be tread upon and see what the Q sound does then. I think I have one or two on the list, I'll have to go back and listen to them.

I think that music is much more involving when it's not compressed down to a little thin plain in front of us confined to the area between the speakers. However, how good is it when what we do get is extremely artificial? I believe the brain knows the difference and tries hard to please us with suspending reality and delivering something more fun. But the harder it works at this, the more fatiguing the music is.

Bob's work at the enhancement process is perhaps becoming more and more relevant as the squashing tools are not only becoming more and more available to the amateur hands cheaply, but also being used more and more aggressively. It simply needs to be agreed that this is, as Bob has said, is not truthful to the original, but is in the pursuit of a little fun. And he said, if it's not, you can turn it off.

More clearly delivering the "truth" that is in the recording is another thing all together. We endlessly spend our money and time to get that from our systems, and our music, as naturalness delivers so much more impact emotionally from our time with our music. I think of this in light of things like the Polk SDA, where it's trying to compensate for our delay time between our ears to more fully deliver the separation that is truly in the recordings. And of course, in better electronics that deliver the goods with less electronic haze.

But there is another side to the artificial enhancement. And that's the fun factor. The grab your attention music. That's what the current state of delivered recorded music is attempting to do. Grab our attention away from a thousand other things competing for our attention. I have to professionally play in this court, like it or not. I have to have my station do a better job of grabbing you sonically than the competition does, even if it's delivering less of the original recording soundstage. My youthful station has to have more "swagger" than the other guy. Think of John Travolta getting all decked out in the dance clothes. He knows it's ridiculous, but the swagger is more important than looking totally over the top. The thing is, today's audio, it's already folded, spindled and mutilated before we get it. To an excessive degree. I can't make it better. It can't be done.

But back to the topic. I think the soundstage is fun and when well done, can be very enveloping for those of us that enjoy setting down and getting wrapped up solely in the music being presented. I was rather surprised that when you posted this question, I couldn't think of any that stand out from the rest with big "space". I guess that suggests I listen for something other than that, though I certainly appreciate hearing something from "way outside".

So the question is, does the "big soundstage" work to make it more enjoyable time, or not? I tend to think analytically that I want it as the truth to the recording, but find that I really do gravitate to the pleasurable reproduction, even if it's not entirely what's on the recording. I don't feel guilty for that. It's what I've invested my time and money to get.

And one little thing I've had twisting around for a long time....if we find something slightly artificially done to be more pleasurable, does that mean it's actually to the mind more true to the real event? It would seem to me that's what the mind is telling us. Why would be believe what's "on the recording" is real? That "other side" electronics chain is just as foul-able as the one on our side. What if the microphones themselves used to record simply can't retrieve the detail for instance that we require to make a playback fun (read real) to the mind. What if our artificial process does maybe even accidentally give us along with gross error, a little bit of the realism that can't electronically be captured. The timing subtleties is where the space comes from. Maybe the mic diaphragm simply can't get that fine of detail. Or the chain that follows can't retain it enough. And we're just manipulative enough on the playback side to in some crude way restore that. If you enjoy it more, then isn't that what that could mean?

Ahhh...boy I let that all out, didn't I? A little OT maybe.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Mark,

You really need to lay off the Keyboard and listen to more music. :lol: 8) :rolleyes: Seriously, I like my music the best as if I sitting in the first few rows of a concert with the musicians spread out way beyond my straight ahead line of sight. I have to turn my head from side to side to see them all. :D WWWWWWWWWWWWWWide SSSSSSSSound SSSSSSSSStage

Maybe that's just me. :-k For whatever reason, these cuts bring me as close to the first row or two as possible. :D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:12 pm

cowboy junkies, The Trinity Session . recorded in a church
dead can dance, Into the Labyrinth
some, this mortal coil
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 pm

mbskeam wrote:cowboy junkies, The Trinity Session . recorded in a church
dead can dance, Into the Labyrinth
some, this mortal coil

haha... I love The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove
Got that one !!!

Daddyjt

Post by Daddyjt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:59 am

Tom Grant - In My Wildest Dreams -- Great precussion sounds popping all across the front stage.

John Rutter & The Cambridge Singers - Old English Madrigals and Folk Songs -- This recording was painstakingly recorded at the Ely Cathedral, and has an outstanding sound stage and ambiance.

Clapton & BB King - Marry You -- Great stage, with each man occupying his own space - Almost makes me turn my head as the men trade riffs.

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity -- Hauting ambiance created by an imersive soundstage.
Too much to keep track of...

Currently enjoying Legacy Focus 20/20, driven by McCormak DNA 225, BillD C1, Oppo 105 FLAC

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”