Carverfest speakers up and running....

jldeni

Re: Carverfest speakers up and running....

Post by jldeni » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:01 pm

I've been out of town. Just got back yesterday and put my set together in a few hours time. No issues - sound great. Kudos to James and Robert for the detailed instructions.

I've set my system up so that I can A-B the Sonorus + True Sub Signature against my beloved Klipsch Cornwalls. Cornwalls are using a C1 and M-500T; Sonorus is using a different C1 and a M-4.0T. I'm loving this!
Attachments
IMG_20151016_145341027.jpg
IMG_20151016_145532006.jpg
IMG_20151016_145422149.jpg

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:29 pm

Nice, looking forward to your review.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:30 am

Thanks for the replys on the specs guys :D I should be able to answer any questions now :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:39 am

engtaz wrote:Nice, looking forward to your review.
Ditto!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Who Can Smoke Their Carverfest Speakers faster than Martin?

Post by radioeng2 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Another candidate for....

Who Can Smoke their CarverFest speakers faster than Martin?

Today's "hot" number....a 5,000 watt Technical Pro amp(s)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technical-Pro-A ... 289wt_1000

Name brand...built in 3 big band EQ, a pretty Iridescent blue LED meter that can mentally substitute for a driver coil heat display, the ability to see the name of the MP3 cut you're playing, AND the ever so important SD card slot just in case you have lost your old digital camera and now keep your music on the left over SD cards you already have!

Now the real jewel info...they have multiple available! If you buy 10, then you'd have 50,000 watts of mind numbing power available, (with extension cords run from other cabins) to just plain work over those poor little trembling at the knees puny CF speakers!

I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 pm

900 watts @ 2ohms if I run at .25 ohms them maybe I can get the 5000 watts. I am more inclined to believe that would get me the FIRE DEPARTMENT.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 pm

I, like some others, complained of a lack of bass coverage in the frequency range where the CF speakers are dropping off (below 90 Hz?) and where the sub takes over. In fact, I was probably the first to complain about it - last Christmas. But I wonder. Bob says it ain't a problem, and he's no beginner. Could it be our old, inescapable friend, anticipation bias? Or maybe I 'miss' hearing what is actually an excessive peak at around 80Hz that I currently have in my living room system?

Here in the bedroom, I moved the sub I'm using (SF Mk IV) right into the center, with the active driver facing me. The passive end is quite near the wall - maybe 5 inches away. The low bass turns out to be very good in that arrangement, at least in this room, where I sit. Did some downward frequency glides, 200Hz right down to under 30, with the Sunfire's crossover at its top position - 100Hz. The upper bass is really quite smooth - no dropout at any particular frequency. In fact it's better than in my living room system in that regard, though here there's a pretty strong peak from the sub at around 60Hz - "Room-boom', I suppose. Response is not overwhelming from 90 down to 70. That's not a huge problem, but it's accentuated by the fact that I'm getting that peak around 60Hz.

My solution is not for everybody, 'cause not everybody has my particular room resonances. Nor do many have the 5 handy parametric tone controls I have in this rig; they are centered at 16K, 4K, 1K, 250, and 63Hz. By turning down the lowest of them (63 Hz - that's the bottom C on a 'cello), and bringing the gain on the sub up a bit, things got better - quite a lot better. No more peak around 60, and still plenty of lowest bass, while farther up the response is relatively stronger. It didn't take much fiddling to get this all sounding really good, and a standard analog or digital EQ device would do nicely, though I was lucky enough not to need that. But I'd hate to try this job by just using music - a tone generator is really a must here, and it has to be set up so you can operate it at your listening position.

BTW, I can detect no sense of directional sounds coming from the sub. Except, of course, if I over-drive it to the point of breaking up, say cranked way up on some 20Hz organ pedal note.

Now I have to mess with that bass peak in the living room - can't have the bedroom sounding better!

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 am

Showed off the Carverfest speakers at a GTG at Dskips this weekend. Had a lot of good comments on them. My tube pre was not back from Bill Flannery before I left, so took a Sunfire TG II to use as the pre feeding the 300 X 2. This worked well. In the photo below, the speakers are the way I originally set them up, but I tried some different positioning, and found the sound stage to be better when they were closer together. They ended up directly in front of the Polk T50 speakers and this seemed to give the best imaging.

BTW, if you know anyone looking for a great entry level speaker pair, have them take a look at those Polk T50's! I was blown away with the sound they put out for a $260 pair of speakers. Those who like rap and hip hop music will really appreciate the bass these things put out!
Attachments
Carverfest speakers at Skips.jpg
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:50 am

Helicopterpilotdoug wrote. "... I tried some different positioning, and found the sound stage to be better when they were closer together. They ended up directly in front of the Polk T50 speakers and this seemed to give the best imaging. "

Imaging is very tricky. Hard to say if the better imaging you observed was due to their being closer, or to the left one being out of that corner.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:20 am

Whats the general starting point for crossover?

Kingman/Martin/Don was we crossed at 200hz at CF15 (what the hell was that) jam session?
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 am

I am crossing mine at about 100. I also tried using both outputs from the preamp and therefore sending a full range signal to both the subwoofers and the CF. I did not think they blended very well with sub in that arrangement.

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:29 am

MRHP wrote:Whats the general starting point for crossover?

Kingman/Martin/Don was we crossed at 200hz at CF15 (what the hell was that) jam session?
I started out at 200 but Gary had me switch to 100.
Since then, I've tried them configured a number of different ways and have gone back to 100.
Specifically, 100 Hz @ 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley.

Yesterday, I set them up at Jazzman's house with a single 400~seven running the subwoofers and a Pioneer SX-1250 (amplifier section only) driving the Sonorous speakers. All of this coming from the computer via a Rane RPM-26z multiprocessor set up as described above.

When I finished wiring everything, I powered up the Pioneer first and the sound came only from the CF Speakers. It just blew us both away. How can that wonderful, enormous sound be coming from these things?
Again, that euphoric feeling.
Then - on with the 400~seven and that wonderful bass fill. They were even better than at Cabin 9.
We didn't even try to adjust the position. They were awesome right where they were.
CF Charlie's.JPG
I think the ideal setup for these is with dual subs crossed at 100.
At least that's the case in the three locations where I've played them.

Another interesting thing to note... When I only had one built, I played it as the left speaker and a DQ-10 as the right for about a week and they blended just fine. These speakers are funny like that. Someone else told me they did the same thing with one and an Amazing. As different as an Amazing is from a DQ-10, that's a pretty cool feat.

If you've got a couple of subs, here's a suggestion I sent another member to try out with their gear, utilizing the built-in crossovers in the true subs. No word yet on how it sounds. It may be fine with one sub, I just suggested 2 because they had them and, you know, 2 worked pretty damned great for me.

Jazzman53
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jazzman53 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:36 pm

I was amazed that Don's CF speakers setup at my place yesterday sounded even bigger the big electrostats standing next to them. I think they sound better than my CF speakers in the same room too... so it must be Martin's tweaks.

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Been using my new speakers on the desk for my work and today was frustrated because although the sound was clear for me and I could get it done, the transcriptionist could not.

Took me a minute to realize she was was not listening to the same "audio" I was. Best investment for work thus far, besides the actual computers anyway.

Problem now seen - every transcriptionist wants a pair lol.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:36 pm

Back at home with my DQ-10s in place of the Carverfest Speakers.
(Have to get off my ass and build mine!)

So the DQ-10s are buzzing like hell. Those large Advent woofers can't deal with the 100 Hz crossover point set for the Sonorous speakers. Back to 200 Hz again!

It's still astonishing that those teeny tiny $12 woofers outperform them.
-and play SO MUCH LOUDER.

Kudos once again to James and family for all the hard work and such a great design.

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”