Carverfest speakers up and running....

trav0810
TFM-35

Re: Carverfest speakers up and running....

Post by trav0810 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Martin1970 wrote:Back at home with my DQ-10s in place of the Carverfest Speakers.
(Have to get off my ass and build mine!)

So the DQ-10s are buzzing like hell. Those large Advent woofers can't deal with the 100 Hz crossover point set for the Sonorous speakers. Back to 200 Hz again!

It's still astonishing that those teeny tiny $12 woofers outperform them.
-and play SO MUCH LOUDER.

Kudos once again to James and family for all the hard work and such a great design.
I planned on listening to them for a while, then hooking my Silvers back up. Oddly enough, the CF speakers are still hooked up.

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:05 pm

Picked up my Carverfest Prototypes from Martin last Sunday. Martin did his magic during the assembly process. Great job Martin! =D> Thank you very, very much. \:D/

Let me so upfront, take the time, if you have the flexibility, to re-position these over and over until you find the sweet spot. And there is a definite sweet spot with both the room and your seating position. It will pay tremendous dividends in width and depth of sound stage.

This particular setup for me payed huge dividends. This is what I found after several days of re-positioning.

Speakers 12 ft. 5 1/2 inches from seating position, toed in slightly (facing knees approx.) 4 ft. 4 inches from back wall, (inside edge) 3 ft. 1 inch (inside edge) from side walls, separation between speakers 11 ft. 6 inches from inside edge. I went from WTH #-o vs what I heard at Jame's place to WHOOO, there is that magic again that makes these speakers so special. \:D/ \:D/

The cut that I used to dial these in was Erienda, by Kenny Rankin. There are several wood block hits during this tune. If these puppies are not dialed in, the hits will appear behind the left speaker. Once you have these speakers properly positioned and dialed in, the wood block hits will appear completely to your left even with sitting position.

Here is a link on U tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfYSSf-qrFc The wood block starts about 30 seconds into cut and continues off and on throughout cut. This worked out great for me. If it isn't coming from your far left equal to your seating position you are not there yet. Once there, the rewards are worth the effort. 8)

Also crossed over at 100Hz. using 2 subs, with each sub directly behind speaker.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:13 pm

DSC03934.JPG
DSC03934.JPG (60.93 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Been having lots fun with my CF speakers. Got them hooked up to the Cherry/260's and they sound fabulous with big vacuum tube power! Big fat holographic sound stage. Probably the widest sound stage Ive had in my room. They dont quite have the detail, finesse and punch of the open baffle project but its awesome to have this good of a sound stage and be able to crank up the volume!

Im running them with a pair of DQ-7 speaker cabinets with DQ-9 woofers(same size...9's have bigger magnets). The subs are 4ohm and I'm powering them with a Lightstar. Subs are running 90Hz and below, CF's 90Hz and up.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Real nice Eric!!! =D> =D> =D>
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:55 am

Looking good Eric. =D> Time for another Jam fest like the one at CF. \:D/ Gary O:) would be looking down at us with that big smile of his.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”