Tesla Audio Speaker build and review

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Tesla Audio Speaker build and review

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:41 pm

I was lucky enough to acquire a set of the Tesla speakers for build and review Monday of this week. Follow the build instructions and use proper tools and they go together quite nicely. Harry Williams made a great suggestion concerning the sealing of the enclosure. Run a small bead of silicone around both top and bottom covers and let it dry completely before assembling the enclosure. This method will allow you to be able to remove either top or bottom without resorting to prying tools which may lead to damaging the enclosure. I employed this technique and have been able to remove both covers(just to see if it could be done). I smoothed the bead with my finger to make a good seal possible.

Robert Remington and Dave Sauter were kind enough to lend their expertise to my build and Robert's expert participation brought the build in under 5 hours. George Daniel was kind enough to let me use his Cardas Silver solder which made that part of the build go better for me considering my poor soldering skills. Be sure not to put too much heat on the little woofer or ribbon connections. The woofer baskets are plastic and may succumb to high heat. We have found out that they DO have a thermal limit.

I left enough jumper wire on the ribbon and woofers to allow them to be removed from the enclosure without too much issue if I nuked a ribbon or woofer with the massive 24 watts my EAR Yoshino V20 produces. Save your packing and remember how it was applied for later transport. I'll be using mine to take the speakers to CarverFest'16. My packing material fit back into the shipping box in which Tesla Audio packed the speaker kit.

Initial observations were good once I got the new speakers aligned with my Carver/Williams sub. The soundfield was VERY wide and deep. Users of this speaker will be very happy.

One caveat though....leave your MP3s home, the ribbon is very revealing and crap source material sounds horrible. While the width of the soundfield remains mostly intact, the depth of the space does not. Good vinyl done well and nicely recorded CD/HiRez files are called for here. Anything less and you're back to 2 Dixie Cups and a string.

More in depth listening reports to follow over the next few days as I get more time on the drivers and they settle in. I gave Kingdom Come, UK, UFO, Carly Simon a spin on my Ariston last night. Gotta say with less than 10 hours on the speakers they sound pretty damn Amazing.

Well done James and Alex!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Re: Tesla Audio Speaker build and review

Post by hewlew1 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 pm

I was going to say that they appear to have a break in period. The more you play them the better they sound.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:11 pm

The speaker build instructions thread says locked, so I post here by default.

What follows is the latest edition of the Carverfest Speaker Kit building instructions. The earlier version was laced with errors and omissions, as last-minute changes kept rolling in. But when the kits started to be handed out, it seemed better to have less-than-perfect instructions than none at all, so James posted what I had. But it was mostly written before anybody actually ever built a kit - they didn't exist until about a week ago.
Unfortunately, I can't edit James or anyone else's posts, even in the short term. This latest version might not be letter perfect, but it's a heluva lot closer than before. So this version supersedes all previous ones. And the kits are in the mail, so watch for them.

After he gets home and back on a decent internet connection, James will be posting a video version of a complete build. But this stepwise written method will work well for many, supplemented by the pictures James already has posted.

The whole project would have gone a lot more smoothly if we'd had just one more week, but there was an unending collection of little delays, seemingly at every stage of production and even before, and it all added up.

The last of the unforeseen difficulties was in the holes for the XLM connectors in the bottom plates. This last minute discovery was the final straw in getting the kits distributed on time. It seems that router bit wear caused some of the holes to be cut undersize, so much so that the plugs would not go into the holes. The early ones were perfect, but the later ones were impossible. Many had to be drilled out at the Fest, and the flat-side feature was lost, so the plugs can be installed in any orientation. It turns out that this is not really a problem, since the female end from the stands can be oriented on any angle needed to match up, just by a slight twist of the wires. But precious time was lost to the needed reworking.

The final act (we hope) in James's ongoing shitstorm is that his SUV's transmission crapped out just before he left, and had to be rebuilt. More time and money lost...

Step By-Step Kit Construction here viewtopic.php?p=205541#p205541
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Robert!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:40 am

The speaker build videos are starting to show up and what I have seen so far is OUTSTANDING!!! These videos will be a great help for those of us who are more visually oriented. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 pm

As to break-in, the jury is still out on that. A lot of what we think of as break-in is often our own perception getting used to the sound - the listener gets "broken in". The response curves we looked at during development were very consistent. But there may be some subtle physical changes in the drivers, too. Hard to tell, unless you run a pair for a week, listen to them a bunch, and then bring a brand new pair in and set them in the same place and compare. And even then you'd be doing it with biased ears.
RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:17 pm

I've moved my Sonorous to TheOfficeRig(tm) and will spend some serious time with them here. Right now I've got 'ICON' by CREAM in the rotation. These speakers do ROCK!!! I've got them 5 feet from the side walls, 58 inches from my ears and 9 feet from the wall behind them.
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG (126.92 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
ray
Magnaryder

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:36 pm

a Tie eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:a Tie eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every day I'm not working at one of our homes or on the vehicles.

ray
Magnaryder

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Classy!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Ray, you never wear a tie for us! We're lucky if we get a clean T-shirt! :shock:

I guess we know where we rate!!

You'd think you'd at least bring a chef's hat for when you cook............some to die for.....cake!! :lol:
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 am

Someone needs to tell Ray his Carver Audio account has been hacked! :rolleyes:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Don wrote:Someone needs to tell Ray his Carver Audio account has been hacked! :rolleyes:
By his twin brother!
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:04 pm

hewlew1 wrote:
Don wrote:Someone needs to tell Ray his Carver Audio account has been hacked! :rolleyes:
By his twin brother!
My brothers both have haircuts, I don't know as I can't remember the last time I had one.

ray
Magnaryder

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”