Sonorous Speakers Done - Now A Question

Robert R
TFM-75

Re: Sonorous Speakers Done - Now A Question

Post by Robert R » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Brian,

We seem to have similar tastes in speakers. I too have AL IIIs, biamped, plus a sub, and don't expect these CF speakers to replace them.
That said, I really am enjoying the soundfield I'm hearing from the little guys, and the highs in particular. I'm developing a fantasy in which the IIIs have that tweeter mounted on top, angled downward. Hope to experiment with something of the sort over the winter season.
Also, there doubtless will be some experimentation down at the Sauter-Remington madhouse, along the lines of a three-way version of the CF design. In fact, James is already working on something of the sort. It won't be as petite, of course, and the cost will naturally be less petite as well, but the basic design is very dollar-friendly at any price/performance point. And with this one, a True Sub would be just that.
Hopefully we'll have something cooked up to introduce to Bob, when he shows up in December. It'll likely be the same old scene - first he'll say it's wonderful, then he'll mercilessly tear it up and make it even better.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

B-Man

Post by B-Man » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:21 pm

RobertR,

I too have thought about the tweeter on the AL-III's. I did do an experiment. I used the M1.0t driving the ribbons on my AL-IIIs to drive the CF speakers. While I was playing them, I switched on the M1.0t driving the woofers on the AL-IIIs, so I had the CF speakers on mids and highs and the AL-IIIs bringing up the bottom end.

Funny, without any level matching or adjustments, it sounded pretty damn good.

I may fool with driving the CF speakers right from the X-Over in the AL-III's.

All I need is time !!!
Last edited by B-Man on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:53 pm

B - Not surprising that the AL-III woofer would do well with the CF speaker. But running the CF speakers on an AL-III crossover would be a mismatch. The CF drivers present a load that's 4 ohms more than those 48" ribbons, plus the notch filters designed for the big ribbons would be all wrong on the little guys.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

B-Man

Post by B-Man » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:40 am

Duhhh - I guess I should have put more thought into it than I did. I forgot about the notch filters in the AL-III's.

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”