Woofer augmentation for the CF speaker

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Woofer augmentation for the CF speaker

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:10 pm

So last year, Kingman had at CF a purty little woofer, the Sunfire 8" SDS-8, I think. Also in the Sunfire line is two other 8" models. The HRS-8 and True Subwoofer Super Junior 8". So three different 8" Sunfire models alone....before considering any bigger drivers or other brands.

So the small size of the CF speakers makes the matchup of a smaller woof-woof seem right. Plus, I'm hoping to long term use my pair in my office at work, where a big woof won't fit and if I thump super deep I'll just be in trouble that much faster than normal. So in this case, going down more than about 30hz doesn't make any sense here, making the 8's seem kinda right in two ways.

The SDS model you can pickup new for about $225 shipping included.

The HRS goes about double that new.

The Super Junior I haven't seen enough to be sure what kind of price but seems similar to the HRS. That's used only I think...

Kinda looks like the Super Junior and the HRS may be limited to going up to 100hz? The SDS-8 is listed as having a crossover that goes up to 150hz. I like the idea that it can go up higher as long as that higher range sounds ok. If crossover is built in for the mains, then lifting the lows off the little guy drivers should mean a little less distortion in those...and more output SPL maybe for some folks, though that wouldn't mean anything to me. Looks like the SDS is the only one that doesn't have high level in. So it would seem there are some setup differences in these while trying to keep things simple.

So who has what thoughts on these? A decent little woofer that's not trying to be the best of the best as far as excursion, bottom end, fit into a tighter place and so on. What's the real experiences here on these models?? Anything else out there that's worked real good and kind of fits this situation?

Thanks for your thoughts and info!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: Woofer augmentation for the CF speaker

Post by kingman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:03 pm

I had a Sunfire Jr. sub Mark...8 incher. Here is a pic of my small setup last year with the crm-2's. Sunfire SZA-2200 amp, C-19 pre, Sonos wireless music streamer. and the Sunfire sub.
IMG_5262.JPG
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:10 pm

Wayne, your "bad back system" was pretty cool. I think that's what you called it...

Those little and nice lookin woofers kept coming back to mind as I looked at the CF speakers and wondering about outfitting them into my office. Not sure why now that you correct me, why I was thinking they might have been the SDS.

There is a place for the big system and also a spot for the mini system. I'm just wandering who has sampled any of these woofers, maybe even in the bigger driver versions and had done any comparing of how they sounded or worked.

Mark

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 pm

I wrote a nice long technical post that sounded really professional and when I hit post my computer FUBAR'D...lol

So here goes again. I have crossed the CF speakers up as high as 325hz and they actually sounded pretty darn good with the lesser cone movement so to speak. Used this setup with a pair of 8" DQ7 woofers in their original DQ7 ported cabinets. Martin got a listen at this setup when he dropped by after picking up a car up north.

I know Kingmans setup with his Jr. sub or whatever it was sounded pretty awesome. I think it would put out enough bass to disturb the "office" personel.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:39 am

Maybe nobody 'round here has heard those other Sunfire woofer models??? [-(

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am

Ray from Michigan had a set of Carver Knight Shadow subs augmenting his Silvers several years back that sounded pretty good. Has anyone looked into them as I hear they can be had reasonably.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Hmmm....I remember some box at one of the first Carverfest's that had a name something like that too. Have 'ta look for the pictures for those years and see what they were.

I was trying to find a reason to narrow down on what'd work and sound good Ray. Not add more possible's.... :-k

Mark

kingman

Post by kingman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Magnaryder wrote:Ray from Michigan had a set of Carver Knight Shadow subs augmenting his Silvers several years back that sounded pretty good. Has anyone looked into them as I hear they can be had reasonably.

ray
The Knight Shadows come up for sale occasionally on eBay if you are patient. Don't have a clue how they would sound with these since they have 1 front directional woofer with out the rear passive like the Sunfire line of earlier subs.

kingman

Post by kingman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:11 pm

In case anyone is interested here is a good buy on a Sunfire Super Jr. sub like the one I had $299 free shipping!!!.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-True-Su ... Swfl9XBBOT

Return to “2015 Speaker Build”