Unfortunately, Our Family Will Not Be Attending CF 2016

!!10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! Sep 7th - 21st
Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Unfortunately, Our Family Will Not Be Attending CF 2016

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:15 pm

All good things come to an end, as does my 9-year run of being at every CarverFest since 2007
This year is becoming a very bitter-sweet year in many ways.

Due to personal reasons, I decided to no longer be involved with the ALS project back in April. Since then all of the parts have been shipped to Washington.

They say, the end of something, is only the beginning of something new.

At 15 years old, I visited our local vocational school, with thoughts of attending the drafting class that they offered. Behind the instructor on the wall was a calendar. I asked the instructor about the house in the photo... It just so happened that the photo of that month was of Fallingwater. Something I had never seen before. The instructor gave me a brief history lesson of the home. By the time our field-trip was over, I had made up my mind, that THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO !!!
That summer, I decided to drop out of high school without even getting my GED.

The next semester I was enrolled in his class as a full time adult, and the 1st chance I got, I began drawing a working set of blueprints of Fallingwater. It took me hundreds of hours and nine months of the class to complete. He and I have kept in touch over the years calling, texting and visiting every few years. Ever since I was a student in his class, I had joked with him... I told him, "One of these days I'm going to take your job" It's been on ongoing joke for 25 years.

Today, at the age of 42 the journey continues as if it were starting all over. Now 25 years later, the student has become the teacher. Tuesday I received the phone call I have been waiting 25 years for... After 30 years of teaching, my original drafting instructor has retired and starting in August, I have been hired to take his place.

August 1st I become the Architectural Drafting Instructor for Fort Myers Technical College.

Unfortunately the classes student enrollment has dropped significantly since 2008. No new building, not a huge demand for draftsman. Unless I am able to help draw in new students, the class may be dropped from the schools catalog. Much of programs survival will depend on my efforts to help attract new students. My position may be very short lived. I have the next 14 months to try to bring in at least 10 students, or they will be forced to phase the program out. I honestly hope we can make a few miracles happen this coming year.

Regardless of what happens, or how long I am able to keep the program going... I will always be able to say, I did it.
Going from a 9th grade drop-out to a college instructor in 3-weeks... not too bad :lol:

For those of you on Facebook, me getting my GED a few weeks ago will now make sense. One of the many hoops I am having to jump through the be able to be hired.

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Unfortunately, Our Family Will Not Be Attending CF 2016

Post by Zoot Horn » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Congrats on the new position James,I hope that you do well and find it rewarding. Janice and I also have too many commitments this year to attend as well. Good luck with the new position!!

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Good for you James! Good luck in your new position and you will be missed!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:34 pm

James

What a great opportunity for you, good luck.

You and your family will be missed at Carverfest :(

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Well SHIT !!

No James, no Dave, no Alex, no Jessica, no George, no Janice !!

I'm bringing my wife this year....she will think you all are not coming because of her !!!

I hope you are satisfied !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously..congrats James you go guy !!

All of you will be missed.

George and Janice, I hope you will be able to drive up for a day or so.

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:28 pm

...Spoke with Ray tonight Frankie and plans are for Dave, Ray and Mike to fill the void at 12. \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 pm

kingman wrote:
...Spoke with Ray tonight Frankie and plans are for Dave, Ray and Mike to fill the void at 12. \:D/

Well, thats good news anyway!! =D> If only we could convince George & Janice to come for a while!!! [-o< 8-[ ](*,) :? :(

Congrats James, I hope it all works out for you!! =D> 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:13 am

kingman wrote:...Spoke with Ray tonight Frankie and plans are for Dave, Ray and Mike to fill the void at 12. \:D/
Thats real good news,

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:28 am

Toy Maker wrote:
Today, at the age of 42 the journey continues as if it were starting all over. Now 25 years later, the student has become the teacher. Tuesday I received the phone call I have been waiting 25 years for... After 30 years of teaching, my original drafting instructor has retired and starting in August, I have been hired to take his place.

August 1st I become the Architectural Drafting Instructor for Fort Myers Technical College.
Ah young Padawan, the Student becomes the Master.

Good Luck man!!!! We will miss you.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

niccolosito

Post by niccolosito » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:39 am

That's a very inspiring story, James. Education is important but it doesn't guarantee one's happiness or success in life. It needs to be combined with perseverance, hard work, drive... and tons of good luck.
Congratulations on taking a new path in your career. It takes a man with lots of guts to even consider a life-changing move like this.
May you find someone who, thirty years from now, will repeat your story.

Jazzman53
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jazzman53 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Congratulations on your new endeavor, James. It's obviously a "path with heart" for you, so it must be right.

I had hoped to chat up speaker building with you at Carverfest this year but perhaps another time.
BTW, my GF Chinadoll still loves your little Carverfest speakers I gave her last year.

Best wishes,
Charlie

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:40 am

Ah Grasshopper, you certainly have the talent for design. You and your family will be missed. Best of luck on this new path of life. We all on the forum wish you the best.

Our local architect has become as busy as a 1 armed paper hanger now that building has picked up in this area. Mostly residential, with some commercial mixed in. Hopefully, that area will also see a rise in the need for local talent due to the economy improving and a resultant upcoming construction uptake. Maybe your old professor has contact with some local architectural firms that can help you fill the quota with recruitment for the class to continue. Also, what about local high school counselors and promoting dual enrollment to generate interest? Just a couple of quick thoughts.

Sounds like a great opportunity and usually colleges have a very decent benefit package as you work your way up the food chain.
Last edited by Don on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:54 am

Congrats, James
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

loner_t
Newbie 50+

Post by loner_t » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:52 am

James, I hope you stay involved with speakers despite your meanderings over a sheet of paper. =D>

I hope to meet you someday.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Trust me, I'm still designing away!!

Getting fed up with the ALS project has nothing to do with the design and engineering side. Design and problem solving is the part I enjoy the most.

I designed and built prototypes of the next generation of speakers, based off the speaker kits from last year. Smaller, prettier, more cost effective, same awesome sound. I had planned on bringing them to the fest this year, but unfortunately that won't be happening. I'd love to post more about them, but for now they need to be kept in the dark. 8-[

Return to “CARVERFEST 2016”