High-Rez file demonstration

11th Annual CARVERFEST 2017 September 6th - 20th
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

High-Rez file demonstration

Post by treitz3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Hello all CF attendees. Starting here in about 20 minutes, there will be a high-rez file demonstration down at WS11. You will be able to hear the same song on different levels of clarity. From MP3 to 16/44 to 24/192 and everything in-between.

My apologies for such late notice, it just got put together and announced to me about 15 minutes ago and I had to get everything set up. I hope you all can make it.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: High-Rez file demonstration

Post by jjptkd » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:48 am

Did this ever happen? Curious as to how it turned out. Bill sent out a CD a few years ago with 2 copies of 5 songs, one 256 mp3 and the other full CD quality and I honestly couldn't tell them apart.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:24 am

It was pretty obvious, the differences between the different mixes. On some, the life of the music simply vanished.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:33 am

What bit rate mp3 did you use?
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:01 am

I don't believe we even made it down to the selection that had a MP3 version. We only did the redbook-96-192 on maybe 3 cuts. They were a professionally done recording at high bit rate and then reduced down each step...so it's the same mastering, same level kind of situation. The usual excuses why people don't hear differences.

A few years ago Bill (OO) sent out a CD he'd burned of something like 10 selections he'd done (so it was all blind on to the receiver) of a variety of cuts. I did 100% id of those. And I've been driving up the road and heard on one of my stations play a song I didn't think sounded right. So I when back to the station I located it and sure enough, when tested it was a MP3 that some fool had converted to a WAV (which they are never supposed to do at my place). So I was able to identify that through significant audio processing and a broadcast-receive cycle on a generic car stereo.

MP3's make a cardboard cut out replica of the original event. Less true to life. As is redbook when compared to more information via higher rez. It was interesting to do with Bob and hear his thoughts as we went through the evening.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Return to “CARVERFEST 2017”