Wimpy meter light in Sunfire

Sunfire Home Theater Discussions and Questions
BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Re: Wimpy meter light in Sunfire

Post by BillD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Even 1 candle-power would be more than that lamp puts out. You couldn't see your food eating by Sunfire light.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

rhiggs
TFM-45

Post by rhiggs » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm

BillD wrote:Even 1 candle-power would be more than that lamp puts out. You couldn't see your food eating by Sunfire light.
It's all about the mood. Do you watch your amp's meter or the movie? We are talking about a theater amp here.
Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get
killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it,
cause it's going to be empty.

Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:29 pm

I think the meter is totally useless, too. I wish it showed something useful, like maybe temperature or something. Why would you defend a worthless meter with an even more worthless lamp?

rhiggs
TFM-45

Post by rhiggs » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Why would you defend a worthless meter with an even more worthless lamp?
I not defending the meter but I sure don’t want super bright amp lights in my DARK theater room. But a soft glow, much like a tube so many people on here love to see, tells me in a non-intrusive way the amp is on. In fact, I like it better than the RED light on my 5200. Like I said, I in there to watch a movie, not watch the needles in a meter dance around.

Frankly, I think all these LED conversions I seen make the TFM meters look like crap. Way too stark and sterile. But that is only my opinion.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Well, I also listen to my 400 ~seven for stereo (4 channels bi-amping my AL-IIIs) during the day time, and I can't tell if the amp is on by the lamp, because I can't see that it's lit at all. In fact, I had been running some test with the fronts off (I do this by turning off the active crossover), and I went into debug mode the next day thinking that the amp had crapped out when indeed it was on but the crossover was still off.

rhiggs
TFM-45

Post by rhiggs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am

BillD wrote:Well, I also listen to my 400 ~seven for stereo (4 channels bi-amping my AL-IIIs) during the day time, and I can't tell if the amp is on by the lamp, because I can't see that it's lit at all. In fact, I had been running some test with the fronts off (I do this by turning off the active crossover), and I went into debug mode the next day thinking that the amp had crapped out when indeed it was on but the crossover was still off.
Unless you have direct sunlight shining on your amp, I call BS on that!!! Then again, maybe your amp has a problem. Sounds to me like you just need to sell it and buy an amp with halogen lit meters so you can see if it is working ok. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine is dedicated to my HT room and is only used for that purpose but I tested it when I first got it in a brightly lit room and I could easily see the meter was lit. As for my listening areas, I use my M4.0t's and M-500t's.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 am

It's shown below and it's on. Can you see the lamp?
iTunes copy.JPG
iTunes copy.JPG (212.07 KiB) Viewed 1953 times

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:43 am

DAMN!!!! Bill....that's a great setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

rhiggs
TFM-45

Post by rhiggs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:46 am

Oh, I see. You have it in an enclosed cabinet behind smoked glass. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Funny, I can't tell if anything inside your cabinet is on except for the power station. But, like I have several times and especially in your TV room, I would not want super bright lights below the TV while I am watching a movie.

I did find it funny you blamed the meter light on you own mistake of screwing up your system by “running some test” (tests??) and forgot what you had done the nest day when you went back to playing around with your system. Sounds like a user malfunction to me. You should use sticky notes to keep track of what you have done playing around with your system? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you hate the light and meter so much, sell it and find an amp with halogen lit meters.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:44 pm

It's a love/hate thing, because I love the amp and hate the meter.

rhiggs
TFM-45

Post by rhiggs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:04 pm

BillD wrote:It's a love/hate thing, because I love the amp and hate the meter.
Bill,

I agree the meter is rather useless and being useless, the light really doesn't matter (though I find it more pleasing than the blue (on) LED on my 5200). Reading Mr. Carver's explanation on why he did it make sense to me but I work for a electrical utility and we like to know how much power is available to feed the grid. Bouncing meter needles are not a good thing.

After I done remodeling my HT room (wish I had used smurf-tubing to start with!!), my amp will be in another room on a rack and it doesn't really matter if there is a meter, light or whatever as it will be out of sight.

Oh, by the way. It looks like you have an awesome setup.

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:36 pm

IMHO, it would have been nice to have a total wattage output meter with a dimmer rheostat like on the TFM-45 :-k . Best of both worlds.

I haven't really been able to do any serious listening because I've had bronchitis for the 10 days to two weeks. Ears plugged. :( Therefore, unable to draw comparisions between Sunfire 400 X 7 vs TFM-75 and 806X combo.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Don wrote:IMHO, it would have been nice to have a total wattage output meter with a dimmer rheostat like on the TFM-45 :-k . Best of both worlds.

I haven't really been able to do any serious listening because I've had bronchitis for the 10 days to two weeks. Ears plugged. :( Therefore, unable to draw comparisions between Sunfire 400 X 7 vs TFM-75 and 806X combo.
Sorry to hear you're under the weather Don...I agree on the meter...need the watts RMS...
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks Wayne. Went to Doc this past Tuesday. On antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. Funny thing is, picked this up in Dr.s office abouy two weeks ago. Went in for appt. and everyone hacking in waiting room. Moved as far away as possible from everyone. After waiting 30 minutes with no movement of anyone, went up and cancelled appt. Unfortunately, it was to late. Already picked up germs.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:34 pm

BillD wrote:It's shown below and it's on. Can you see the lamp?
iTunes copy.JPG

Really clean set up there. It is just amazing - except maybe for the itunes.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/

Return to “Sunfire Home (Theater)”