Sunfire Seperates vs Ultimate Receiver

Sunfire Home Theater Discussions and Questions
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Sunfire Seperates vs Ultimate Receiver

Post by jjptkd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 pm

I was hoping I could get some advice on some of my recent purchases. I currently have a 400x5 and I'm expecting a TGP-IV tomorrow morning. I've recently switched back to a full Klipsch surround system and my 400x5 really seems like over kill to me and I've been considering trading down to maybe a series II 225x5 amplifier. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and it seems as though the Ultimate receiver may be a good choice for me as it would really consolidate things and allow me to free up some cash at the same time, plus the extra 2 channels would allow me to bi-amp my front speakers. I guess my question is, would I lose any sound quality making the switch? Is the Ultimate receiver really as good as seperates? Any input on this would be great, thanks.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Sunfire Seperates vs Ultimate Receiver

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:09 pm

There's always going to be some compromise when you cram everything from two chassis's into one. I've had an Ultimate Receiver, and yes, they are cheaper. However, you lose a LOT of options. I realize your Klipsch are very efficient, but an amp driven at a fraction of it's power WILL last longer than one that is pushed. Personally, I'd stick with what you have.

However, if you feel compelled to sell your separates, I'll take them off your hands for $1k~

8) 8) 8)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:24 pm

TNRabbit wrote:There's always going to be some compromise when you cram everything from two chassis's into one. I've had an Ultimate Receiver, and yes, they are cheaper. However, you lose a LOT of options. I realize your Klipsch are very efficient, but an amp driven at a fraction of it's power WILL last longer than one that is pushed. Personally, I'd stick with what you have.

However, if you feel compelled to sell your separates, I'll take them off your hands for $1k~

8) 8) 8)
I'll give you $1K----one dollar---&--99/100. :D

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 pm

With a receiver, the amplifier channels are fixed, so you lose bi-amping capability.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:25 pm

I think I'm going to stick with seperates-- after listening to my new preamp I can say I'm totally happy and don't want to change anything except maybe my CD player. I spoke with Bill at Rita's today about the Ultimate Receiver and he says they're great units and owns one himself but they were designed for small rooms. He told me that the amplifiers in them barely put out 200 watts in stereo and more like 70-80 watts all channels driven. He has 6 CRM-2s with the matching center in his room and it's more then enough for him. Just thought I'd pass that along.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:42 pm

jjptkd wrote:I think I'm going to stick with seperates-- after listening to my new preamp I can say I'm totally happy and don't want to change anything except maybe my CD player. I spoke with Bill at Rita's today about the Ultimate Receiver and he says they're great units and owns one himself but they were designed for small rooms. He told me that the amplifiers in them barely put out 200 watts in stereo and more like 70-80 watts all channels driven. He has 6 CRM-2s with the matching center in his room and it's more then enough for him. Just thought I'd pass that along.
If your current CD player has a digital output I would try running that into the TG IV. It has excellent D/A converters & will improve the output from a CD player.

I believe Sunfire is the last stop for me.

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:14 pm

jjptkd wrote:I think I'm going to stick with seperates--
He told me that the amplifiers in them barely put out 200 watts in stereo and more like 70-80 watts all channels driven.
He has 6 CRM-2s with the matching center in his room and it's more then enough for him. Just thought I'd pass that along.
I have the Ultimate Receiver and he is correct! Separate's are a WAY better way to go! I had this set up with 6 CRM's & CRM-2C until I got those wonderful CRS-3's. I like my Receiver but I would not pick it over a Theater Grand & Cinema Grand even tho I got em both :D \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

Return to “Sunfire Home (Theater)”