Interconnects

Sunfire Home Theater Discussions and Questions
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Point taken...

Post by treitz3 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:33 am

Chauss wrote:Maybe equalization is the wrong word. I agree with you to a point but it's not quite the right expression to use. "Matching" an IC to your rig would be more appropriate [system synergy and all that]....and extremely important in some rigs. EQ's are a different world that introduce phase shifting, ------------>image smearing/degradation amongst other things that IC's do not bring to the table unless you hook them up incorrectly.<-------------

I have to disagree with that statement Tom....the perfect IC would neither add nor subtract anything to the signal passed through it, BUT I HAVE heard some cables before that DO smear imaging, and degrade sound stage...especially if they are OLD cables that have oxidized or possibly have some broken strands, etc. :D
Well, I stand erected. I do have to agree with you. Most all of the boxes of cables I have change the sound scape of the reproduction. I have heard everything like dropped or rolled off top end, bloated bass, no bass, a midrange that is 10' back from the rest of the field, tinny and bright top end, smeared images, loss of L to R stereo effect and loss of depth, height and 3-D field, and just about every combination in between...all with the change out of just 1 IC in my rig between the CDP and the pre.

I guess what I mis-typed or poorly tried to say was that a EQ does a better job at degrading things at a rapid and very obvious way when compared to that of just swapping an IC. I agree, both degrade but the EQ trumps the degradation to that of just an IC....unless you are talking about the ones like were linked in the photograph above, obviously. That said, I doubt anybody here uses IC's in that kind of condition. At least I would hope to hell not. #-o

I like EQ's and what they have done to some of my rig setups but it was just a crutch for other things that needed attention. As soon as I lost the EQ and put attention where it was needed, my audio journey left the rural back roads and went on to the superhighway of great sound.

I would also like to point out that money makes no difference when it comes to synergy and IC's. Well, allow me to clarify a bit...this is assuming that the user has graduated beyond the stock red and white IC's that are supplied from the manufacturer with their gear and moved on to IC's over the $50.00 and up mark IME. Now that I have clarified this, I have 2-3 bill IC's that sound like ass and completely disintegrate everything that I have worked for in my rig [you will hear these at Carverfest this year]. Now, at the same time, I have IC's that I spent $125.00 on that rock my system and pulls everything together in a beautiful way but they just weren't what I was looking for and they did not provide me with the synergy I was looking for and knew I could achieve in my rig. After trying 25-27 or more IC's in this location, I found only 1set that gives my system synergy. Only 1. That IC was only $175.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Interconnects

Post by Don » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:15 pm

mbskeam wrote:
especially if they are OLD cables that have oxidized or possibly have some broken strands, etc. :D

let the good times roll..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Mike,

Bring those to Carverfest. I am looking for some new IC's to try. :lol: In addition, we can include those in the IC swapout to see if Tom can hear a difference. :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Don wrote:
mbskeam wrote:
especially if they are OLD cables that have oxidized or possibly have some broken strands, etc. :D

let the good times roll..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Mike,

Bring those to Carverfest. I am looking for some new IC's to try. :lol: In addition, we can include those in the IC swapout to see if Tom can hear a difference. :lol:
Damn...looks like what's in my brown bag of goodies!!! :shock:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Damn...looks like what's in my brown bag of goodies!!! :shock:
actually that's where I found them, in my shed, in a bag, stuffed in a box..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:-$ :-$ :-$ :-" :-" :-" :D
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: Point taken...

Post by OconeeOrange » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:36 pm

treitz3 wrote:
I like EQ's and what they have done to some of my rig setups but it was just a crutch for other things that needed attention. As soon as I lost the EQ and put attention where it was needed, my audio journey left the rural back roads and went on to the superhighway of great sound.

I would also like to point out that money makes no difference when it comes to synergy and IC's.
Because of the knowledge I have picked up from you guys - I agree.
An EQ can be fun. My first was in the late 60's and it was a reverb with something that looked like a screen door spring inside it. I got it in Germany and nailed it to the wall. We thought that was the cat's ass -- :lol:

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:57 pm

treitz3 wrote: I stand erected.
:-s
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:45 pm

treitz3 wrote: I guess what I mis-typed or poorly tried to say was that a EQ does a better job at degrading things at a rapid and very obvious way when compared to that of just swapping an IC. I agree, both degrade but the EQ trumps the degradation to that of just an IC....
Yeah, and experimenting is fun.
I like to say if the dope addicts who mix most Albums can fuck with it, why not me? On the good side, our fucking around with it is not permanent like what they do. ](*,)

As people here get more into computer based music, again I strongly suggest taking a look at http://www.izotope.com/

No component equalizer can match that unless you are playing analog of course -- :lol:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Was it something I said?

Post by treitz3 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Scarabeo wrote:
Hehe...
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Re: Was it something I said?

Post by Chauss » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 pm

treitz3 wrote:
Scarabeo wrote:
Hehe...
HOPEFULLY - not on my account! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Return to “Sunfire Home (Theater)”