Power Conditioners

Sunfire Home Theater Discussions and Questions
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Power Conditioners

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:22 pm

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Carverfest 2010 showed how much a power strip/conditioner starves current from amps. TFM 75 sounded like a 50w amp
...Roy...are you refering to when Don and I had our 75's hooked to Tom's speakers? If so if you looked at the attenuator knob on the 75's ( volumn ) it was set at 1/4 output sent to the pre. Tom was making sure we weren't gonna get crazy with the juice. I tend to believe what Bob and Mike said...plug your amp into the outlet...just unplug or if you use a power strip cut it off after use. Believe me...the 75's would have gotten WAY LOUDER but we didn't want to ruin Tom's speakers. :D
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:05 pm

kingman wrote:
Carverfest 2010 showed how much a power strip/conditioner starves current from amps. TFM 75 sounded like a 50w amp
...Roy...are you refering to when Don and I had our 75's hooked to Tom's speakers? If so if you looked at the attenuator knob on the 75's ( volumn ) it was set at 1/4 output sent to the pre. Tom was making sure we weren't gonna get crazy with the juice. I tend to believe what Bob and Mike said...plug your amp into the outlet...just unplug or if you use a power strip cut it off after use. Believe me...the 75's would have gotten WAY LOUDER but we didn't want to ruin Tom's speakers. :D

X2. Tom made sure to turn the volume pots way down before he fired those puppies up. I remember everyone was instructed by Tom not to touch the volume pots under any circumstances. [-X
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:16 pm

TNRabbit wrote:You can still find them used:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories

one less now. i hope i like it when it gets here.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:18 am

angelod307 wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:You can still find them used:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories

one less now. i hope i like it when it gets here.
There is not one less the way I see it! As long as someone from this forum owns it I see it as there is one more!!! There is just one less for sale.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

=D> =D> =D>
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:08 am

No, it was when we were running Lightstar, TFM 35's and PT 2400 (sorry not 75's) and they all sounded the same. Found the conditioner was starving the Lightstar & PT 2400. The PT had to run off of 2 different 30 amp house circuits or it would blow the circuit breaker.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 am

Makes perfect sense. That is why I had to run off of two 20 amp dedicated circuits and two dedicated power conditioners just for my 75 when using the Plats. Those amps will suck the juice when called upon.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm

"Wow, so what's the best solution? Amp directly into the wall, but put other components through a conditioner to protect against surges?"

I too live in SoCal and the power is very "clean". However, I did buy and install a "whole house" surge protector thingy a few years ago (can post pic/name if interested...I got it at Harbor Freight and Tools for ~$100 or less...it was on sale...and NOT made in China!). It installs right at your main circut panel and protects every house circut from "surges". With that, I just plug all my amps right into the wall plugs (no power strips, because as stated here, they may not be able to fully supply all the "juice" your amp may want for those very brief times that it really needs that extra power, which would result in less "punchy" transients, etc., resulting in "WTF? How come my powerful system don't sound like it should?" :lol: ).
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Do you really listen to your music that loud???
I have 2 x 300 watt amps all driven on one 15 amp circuit and have never had any issues with power.

120v @ 15A is good for 1800W continuous...
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:27 pm

I have a decent surge w/ battery back up. I can't tell you which one as it it sealed under the deck beside my Sunfire. I have my computer and weather sattion hooked to that. It works great. If the power blips or goes out, the computer don't know. Before it could be a pain in the ass when the computer kept powering down when I was getting jiggy with a tune. This also keeps my weather station updating to the web every 2 minutes, even during storms that kill the power.

I run a separate 12 gauge line in for the audio system and presently use this: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical ... 93653.html
Belkin.jpg
Belkin.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
When I am not playing tunes, I just flip the off switch on it.
Since I am not actually near a wall outlet, I doubt a high end power cord from the power strip to the amp/etc would help much.

I wonder about it all anyway as I can't yet grasp how anything much better than the wires in the wall could improve things.

As to power conditioners, I can see the possibility there.
Last edited by OconeeOrange on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Another thought hit my mind after I posted.
I have a nice turntable - Rega 5. You can get an external power supply that is quartz tuned for the right rpm or something. It is like 350 bucks and I have that in the bar. I guess that conditions the power to work right with the TT. :lol: :lol:

Years back I got a FUBAR DAC - and again, great promises were made if you upgraded to the external power supply for $100. I got that. :(

I need to get some expert ears in here and test these things with and with out the additions to see if they are worth the coin.

Return to “Sunfire Home (Theater)”