HDMI cable lengths

Sunfire Home Theater Discussions and Questions
tinpan
TFM-45

HDMI cable lengths

Post by tinpan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Anyone know if there are limitations on HDMI cable lengths? Might want to do a 25' run

Thanks
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Re: HDMI cable lenths

Post by treitz3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Tinpan, a 25' length will work fine without having to have a repeater or signal booster. The only thing I would think might be an issue would be the timing of the signal. Depending on how things will be hooked up for your system, the dialog on the TV might not match up perfectly with the sound. I experienced this with a 100' running the audio signal only from HDMI out to a coaxial line for the run in wall, then to a coaxial to RCA into a receiver. The millisecond(s) with delay in sound from the video didn't quite sync up. It was like watching the age old Kung-Fu movies where the audio didn't sync up with the video.

I wouldn't imagine that it would be too terribly noticeable with a 25' run but I thought I might just throw it out there. Obviously, the shortest length possible would be preferred. You might want to check and see if your components have any type of synchronization adjustments. Some manufactures do offer this capability for situations just like yours.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

tinpan
TFM-45

Re: HDMI cable lengths

Post by tinpan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks Tom,

I guess I can always try it and if I don't like it move it back. I am just trying to think of a way to unclutter one wall. Five speakers, two subs and 2 audio racks make it very crowded. If I can move the audio racks it may give the speakers a little room to breathe,

Not that it sounds bad, but instead of relaxing and listening to the music or watching tv, I find myself staring at the wall thinking " Hmm what if..."
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin

Return to “Sunfire Home (Theater)”