Need Opinions on a Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II

Sunfire Home Theater Discussions and Questions
EndersShadow
TFM-55

Need Opinions on a Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II

Post by EndersShadow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Whats this sub go for used in decent, and what is the consensus on it? Does it have any inherent problems I need to be aware of? I read a couple places about the amps going bad and whatnot, but I tend to trust the input here more than that.

I currently am rocking a Polk PSW125 and know I have lots of room for improvement.

My options are get this sub or look into getting the M1.0t I purchase refurbished, or try and score another M1.0t for my center channel as wel. I dont think the M1.0t that I just got needs refurbing just yet given the pictures I got from the seller, but I figured I might as well just do it and get it out of the way, unless I pick up this sub.

So I am hoping folks here might be able to help me make up my mind.

Look forward to your thoughts....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Need Opinions on a Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Sunfire subs were ahead of their time & fantastic for tiny package & big sound, but because of those facts, they shake themselves to pieces. One of the BEST sub values around are the ones offered by Epik:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/

Reference dual 15 inch high output subwoofer
Exclusive 600W RMS amplifier
Parallel Drive Technology ™
Sealed cabinet design for improved sound quality & subsonics
Opposed side-firing drivers cancel out cabinet vibration
Stackable for multiple sub setups
Outstanding midbass performance
Massive 1 inch thick cabinet
Dual 1 inch thick grills with acoustically transparent fabric
Compact CAD designed enclosure
Precision CNC machined
Full 1 inch radius corners throughout
High quality black laminate finish
RCA and XLR inputs
1500W short-term RMS
Frequency response : 20-300 Hz +/-3.5 dB anechoic
True 15 Hz or lower in-room extension
Weight: 140 pounds shipped
Size: 22 H x 18 W x 24 D (16W w/o grills)
Designed & assembled in our USA factory
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm

They typically sell for around $450-$650 shipped on eBay. The plates do require service a lot of times, too much internal force breaks the caps lose which causes buzzing and a host of other problems. Refurb on the plates cost $270 at Rita's. As far as performance, you better make sure shits nailed down tight!! They will literally walk themselves across the floor in a jack-hammer type motion when pushed to the max. Not the greatest though from about 50hz and up but below that down to 20hz look out!!
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Good advice Gary.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:49 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Sunfire subs were ahead of their time & fantastic for tiny package & big sound, but because of those facts, they shake themselves to pieces. One of the BEST sub values around are the ones offered by Epik:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/
Yeah, although personally I prefer the Chase Home Theater 18" passive sub myself. But both those are waaayyy outside my current price range otherwise I would be all over them #-o #-o #-o

https://www.chasehometheater.com/index. ... Itemid=143

Type: Sealed, single driver, passive subwoofer system
Frequency Response: 21Hz – 100Hz +/- 5 dB (Using the Dayton Amp and the bass boost switch is ON)
In-room extension (room and placement dependent): 15Hz or lower
Driver:

One 18”, 8 ohm driver
X-Max (not X-mech) is 1.5 inches peak to peak
Fs is 19.4 Hz
Power handling is 800 watts RMS

Enclosure:

Sealed, passive, front-firing (no grille)
1" MDF
2" thick, MDF, front-firing baffle
Countersunk driver
Slightly textured, matte black finish
Dimensions: 23" H x 21" W x 21" D
Weight: ~75 lbs

jjptkd wrote:They typically sell for around $450-$650 shipped on eBay. The plates do require service a lot of times, too much internal force breaks the caps lose which causes buzzing and a host of other problems. Refurb on the plates cost $270 at Rita's.
This one is quite a bit less than that, so its good to know its a bargain. The question then becomes is that because there ARE issues with it, or because the seller doesn't know what he has, etc. I am waiting to hear back from him to see if I could demo it before purchasing as thats an almost guaranteed dealbreaker.
jjptkd wrote:As far as performance, you better make sure shits nailed down tight!! They will literally walk themselves across the floor in a jack-hammer type motion when pushed to the max. Not the greatest though from about 50hz and up but below that down to 20hz look out!!
Yeah it would be on a Auralex subdude HD and honestly wouldn't be pushed to the max too much. Since they will be paired with my Polk LSi setup which is currently all set at 60 hz I think it would pair well with them. The only problem I see is that my receiver wont let me set the crossover for the sub lower than 80 I think, but they will have the Polks to help out above 60 hz.

I am running Polk LSi 15's and a LSiC center. The 15's are going to be run off a M1.0t I just bought and the LSiC is off the Carver 705x I currently own.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:02 pm

The Truesub has a built in crossover and should work great if paired with a set of full range (or close to) front mains. One option that has not been mentioned is either build your own sub, or what I like to do is find a sub with a bad plate for cheap then add your own. I'm running a Velodyne FSR-15 with a new Bash 300 plate. The origianl plate was 250 watts so the new plate is perfect, I actually think it hits harder now then it ever did before! :D :D
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:12 pm

jjptkd wrote:The Truesub has a built in crossover and should work great if paired with a set of full range (or close to) front mains. One option that has not been mentioned is either build your own sub, or what I like to do is find a sub with a bad plate for cheap then add your own. I'm running a Velodyne FSR-15 with a new Bash 300 plate. The origianl plate was 250 watts so the new plate is perfect, I actually think it hits harder now then it ever did before! :D :D
Yeah I know that's a cheaper option but I found this one for under 200. It's hard to find something better than my PSW125 that's DIY and under that.

I like the Dayton 18" and could technically use a channel off my 705x to drive it. I really like the sub I linked to above and will get one eventually. I think for now I will probably pass on it and either pic up another M1.0t or get mine refurbished.

beemers417
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by beemers417 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 pm

The Sunfire True series subs can easily be repaired and replacement drivers are still around. I like them and own several. However, The JL Fathom subs are bad ass. F U James.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Under $200??? If it works, ship it to me and I'll cover $50 shipping. I ain't kiddin....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 pm

kingman wrote:Under $200??? If it works, ship it to me and I'll cover $50 shipping. I ain't kiddin....
Listing is gone. Decision is much easier :).

sisu1a
Newbie 50+

Post by sisu1a » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Had one, liked it all right, but wound up selling it to a buddy and have a pair of HsuTN1220's instead (stereo subs, FTW!). I liked it better after *hard-mounting it to a 12x12x2" chunk of black granite (32lbs of deadweight) with 5/8" spiked feet. If unmounted, it moves around, and not just a little bit. Even mounted to a stone block with a wider footprint and spikes, it still fucking moves under certain conditions. Movement of a sub = robbed output, since instead of imparting movement to the air with the drivers it's shaking it's heavy ass back and forth, wasting gobs of power in the process and all you get for your troubles is muddier bass since it starts eating into phase alignment. Honestly it would probably perform best mounted to something like my granite base, with that heavy driver facing up or down, since that is the only axis it's mass can travel without dramatically affecting it's balance. If it electronically hums, try tightening the nut on the volume knob with a socket wrench before panicking. It's grounded to the plate and shakes itself loose easily. That and what everyone else said....

-p

*drilling four 1/4" through-holes and four blind-holes, a total of 12 linear inches, through solid granite was an adventure all in itself... stainless hex bolts into T-nuts in the sub, spiked feet were epoxy potted into their holes... looks killer though

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:09 pm

I purchased a Sunfire True Subwoofer Mk II brand new in 1997 and the only reason I'm not using it currently is because I 'upgraded' to a Sunfire True Subwoofer TS-EQ10. Though I was always happy with the Mk II, after purchasing and installing the TS-EQ10 I was blown away by the difference the built-in equalizer had on the sound quality in my listening room! The same results could probably have been achieved with the Mk II using external components and/or room treatments.

Other than a bad ground on the plate of the Mk II I never had any problems with it. Mk II units typically go for around $500-$600, in my experience.

Return to “Sunfire Home (Theater)”