2018 Carverfest Tube Power Amplifier Build

12th Annual CARVERFEST 2018 September 5th - 19th
Robert R
TFM-75

Re: 2018 Carverfest Tube Power Amplifier Build

Post by Robert R » Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Of the 41 listed by Ed, we need to extract a list of those who are pretty sure they are not able to make it to the Fest, and their town/state or zip-code. So let's hear from you. We can then deal on an individual basis with the question of how to get amps to their new homes.

In general, those who live in the Eastern time zone have a good chance to get “mule-service” from a Fest-goer who passes their way. For example, Jim Deni lives in my county, so he's all set.

Those who fly face a different situation. Possibly an amp or unassembled kit can be carried in checked luggage, liberally surrounded in bubble wrap, clothing, etc.

I think USPS offers pre-paid cartons, flat-rate anyplace in the lower 48. Not sure what the various deals are, but I'll inquire.

Then there is Canada. Anybody other than BrianT from up North? Brian will no doubt know the score on importation crap...

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Wed May 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Robert

I will be at Carverfest 2018 with my wife Pat, staying with Al & Mel in cabin 6

I have a big problem getting my amps back to Canada, as we are flying my plan is to take an empty suitcase
and pay the $25.00 extra luggage fee each way.
On the way back, put all our clothes in that case, and hand carry the amps back.

We are allowed $800.00 cnd duty free each, anything over we have to pay duty and taxes.

See you guys there Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

UncleMeat
TFM-6cb

Post by UncleMeat » Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 pm

BrianT wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:27 pm
Robert

I will be at Carverfest 2018 with my wife Pat, staying with Al & Mel in cabin 6

I have a big problem getting my amps back to Canada, as we are flying my plan is to take an empty suitcase
and pay the $25.00 extra luggage fee each way.
On the way back, put all our clothes in that case, and hand carry the amps back.

We are allowed $800.00 cnd duty free each, anything over we have to pay duty and taxes.

See you guys there Brian
Take a slightly smaller suitcase and nest it (filled with your clothes) inside the bigger one.

If you use your deposit as a purchase receipt you could get away saying they cost $350USD each.

One amp could be yours, and the other belongs to your spouse as well.

When I came back from CF 2016 I put the Marshall amp in a large suitcase and padded the inside with towels, foam, and clothes. I put a note inside saying it was an audio amplifier with my name/address, but I think they still took a look inside of the bottom cover at the electronics. I would put one amp in each case. I would not ship the tubes with the amp, and you can't put them in a carry-on because they are glass so you'll need a third suitcase for them.

Taking odd electronics in a carry on is risky, if you've already dropped off your checked luggage and then they won't let you take it on you're stuck.

The other option is to box them up and mail them to your place in Canada from Bryson City.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Wed May 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Brian - You'll need to be clear on the baggage rules and costs of whatever airline you use - they vary a lot. Weight limit for carry-ons is typically 15 lb, and one of these amps will certainly weigh more than that.
The fact that there are two of you should help a lot - one amp each.

RR

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Are the parts being sent from Snohomish to Ed?
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

UncleMeat
TFM-6cb

Post by UncleMeat » Wed May 23, 2018 11:24 pm

I'm thinking yes to that Mike, unless another member is sourcing components like caps etc.

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 am

UncleMeat wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Take a slightly smaller suitcase and nest it (filled with your clothes) inside the bigger one.

If you use your deposit as a purchase receipt you could get away saying they cost $350USD each.

When I came back from CF 2016 I put the Marshall amp in a large suitcase and padded the inside with towels, foam, and clothes. I put a note inside saying it was an audio amplifier with my name/address, but I think they still took a look inside of the bottom cover at the electronics. I would put one amp in each case. I would not ship the tubes with the amp, and you can't put them in a carry-on because they are glass so you'll need a third suitcase for them.

Taking odd electronics in a carry on is risky, if you've already dropped off your checked luggage and then they won't let you take it on you're stuck.

The other option is to box them up and mail them to your place in Canada from Bryson City.

That is the plan, but that could change once I know the size and weight.

You think like me :D

Thats what I was thinking

I have not had a problem, I have taken the 1st Carver Amp and Lucas Line stage from Ottawa to Vancouver
as carry on, this was on 2 different flights.

Not a chance, shipping to Canada cost a fortune, and I would have to pay duty on them as I they where not traveling with me
and then TRY and claim it back

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Thu May 24, 2018 9:46 am

Robert R wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm
Of the 41 listed by Ed, we need to extract a list of those who are pretty sure they are not able to make it to the Fest, and their town/state or zip-code. So let's hear from you. We can then deal on an individual basis with the question of how to get amps to their new homes.

In general, those who live in the Eastern time zone have a good chance to get “mule-service” from a Fest-goer who passes their way. For example, Jim Deni lives in my county, so he's all set.

Those who fly face a different situation. Possibly an amp or unassembled kit can be carried in checked luggage, liberally surrounded in bubble wrap, clothing, etc.

I think USPS offers pre-paid cartons, flat-rate anyplace in the lower 48. Not sure what the various deals are, but I'll inquire.

Then there is Canada. Anybody other than BrianT from up North? Brian will no doubt know the score on importation crap...

RobertR
Robert
Where, or to whom, should I send this information? I am not going to be able to attend this year.
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu May 24, 2018 10:23 am

James - You are already on my mental list, and Ed (sea) should have your address. When everybody who can't make it checks in (several have PM'd me already) I will post a list of those who hope for 'mule-service'. For those who are unable to arrange that we will figure out a procedure for shipping, the cost of which will be nailed on to the July final payment.

Robert

Dennis47
Newbie 50+

Post by Dennis47 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

RobertR,

I will be unable to attend Carverfest, but have contacted both trav0810 (Travis)
and MRHP (Eric) about transporting my kit. Will let you know when transportation
has been agreed to....

Dennis47
Newbie 50+

Post by Dennis47 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:37 pm

RobertR,

Both Travis and Eric say they could transport my tube amp kit, so between the two
I have delivery all set...no need for a delivery or mailing service.

I don't know what the procedure for selecting which CarverFest non-attendees would
receive the opportunity to purchase a tube amp kit, but to whoever was involved in
the decision making....my gratitude and THANK YOU! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Carverfest will be here before you can turn around. It is time to start getting the balance of the Amp money in. Some of you paid in full and a few have already sent the balance. Below is what I show as due. Same payment options as before. If you use PayPal send to cfampbuild@gmail.com and add 3% to the amount below to cover fees. Please let me know quickly if there are errors below.

We would like for all funds to be in by July 31.

I will repost this every few days with those that have paid moved up into the Paid In Full group

Paid In full

HappyTrails
DaveS
AngeloD
LonerT
kve777
BrianT
Eddie
Radioeng2
Dnspy007
sea

$325 Due

AR9Jim
ItchItch
Kingman
Don
OldTexasDog
SteveK
peck555
pindrop
compwaco
dennis47
jldeni

$650 Due

Morris
Nahash (Greg)
RobertR
Mbkseam
Iamjohngalt
Frenchguy
Martin1970
Hewlew
Shortcake
Treitz
Jerry
BobSmi57
MRHP
Trav0810
Uncle Meat
B-Man
packratt
wrf

Odd Balls

BarryG $250
Magnaryder $661

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 am

Updates in RED

Carverfest will be here before you can turn around. It is time to start getting the balance of the Amp money in. Some of you paid in full and a few have already sent the balance. Below is what I show as due. Same payment options as before. If you use PayPal send to cfampbuild@gmail.com and add 3% to the amount below to cover fees. Please let me know quickly if there are errors below.

I will repost this every few days with those that have paid moved up into the Paid In Full group

Paid In full

HappyTrails
DaveS
AngeloD
LonerT
kve777
BrianT
Eddie
Radioeng2
Dnspy007
sea
ItchItch

$325 Due

AR9Jim

Kingman
Don
OldTexasDog
SteveK
peck555
pindrop
compwaco
dennis47
jldeni

$650 Due

Morris
Nahash (Greg)
RobertR
Mbkseam
Iamjohngalt
Frenchguy
Martin1970
Hewlew
Shortcake
Treitz
Jerry
BobSmi57
MRHP
Trav0810
Uncle Meat
B-Man
packratt
wrf

Odd Balls

BarryG $250
Magnaryder $661

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Reply 

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Updates in RED

Paid In full

HappyTrails
DaveS
AngeloD
LonerT
kve777
BrianT
Eddie
Radioeng2
Dnspy007
sea
ItchItch
Hewlew
Shortcake

$325 Due

AR9Jim
Kingman
Don
OldTexasDog
SteveK
peck555
pindrop
compwaco
dennis47
jldeni

$650 Due

Morris
Nahash (Greg)
RobertR
Mbkseam
Iamjohngalt
Frenchguy
Martin1970
Treitz
Jerry
BobSmi57
MRHP
Trav0810
Uncle Meat
B-Man
packratt
wrf

Odd Balls

BarryG $250
Magnaryder $661

pindrop

Post by pindrop » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Sea, ppal is in, move me up to the paid group please sir.
Thanks PinDrop

Return to “CARVERFEST 2018”