2018 Carverfest Tube Power Amplifier Build

12th Annual CARVERFEST 2018 September 5th - 19th
UncleMeat
M-400t CUBE

Re: 2018 Carverfest Tube Power Amplifier Build

Post by UncleMeat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Robert R wrote:KT 150's have the same pin-out as 88's or 120's, but may not fit physically - they're bigger. Also, they may buy you zero additional output power - it depends on the other limiting factors , e.g. output transformers, power transformer...

Automotive analogy - You can always add more/bigger carburators to an engine, but you reach a point at which you get no further power gain, but maybe other problems instead.

On the other hand, I hope nobody gets one of these amps and puts 6L6's in it. That would be like running kerosene in your Porsche.

RR
Yeah, it's a question of if the amp he's designing will have or be capable of delivering the correct bias voltages and filament currents. Each KT-150 is like two 6L6GC tubes in filament current and the bias voltages run higher also. From the photo of the prototype it appears they will fit, but not sure on that either.
Last edited by UncleMeat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Robert R wrote:
On the other hand, I hope nobody gets one of these amps and puts 6L6's in it. That would be like running kerosene in your Porsche.

RR
Robert, you realize kerosene won't ignite in an internal combustion engine don't you? An F-4...well thats a different story :lol:

But I get the idea...nyuk, nyuk

ray

then there are these...if you have nothing else to spend you hard earned $$ on...like food

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88- ... 88-Diamond
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 pm

I originally said I was interested but unable to attend.

In the interests of avoiding any controversy about not being an attendee and wanting an amp I will be able to attend but only the middle Saturday. I might be able to extend it to part of the day on Sunday.

After seeing more information on the amps I'm interested on 2 if at all possible.

I'll kick in 2 big crock pots of Jambalia for dinner on Sat. will just need a place to plug them in to warm the food.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Robert R wrote:On the other hand, I hope nobody gets one of these amps and puts 6L6's in it. That would be like running kerosene in your Porsche.RR
That got me to thinking about which configuration of the amp was Bob talking about when he said it was the best sounding amp he's ever built? Even if it was the 6L6 version I'd be all in, my V20 only produces 24 watts any way. And....it would be a hell of alot cheaper to re-tube :-$ I'm in it for the sonics

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 am

I informed Bob about the problems last evening, though without detailing the acrimony or naming any names. Talked a bit on the phone, then e-mailed a more detailed account. Told him the whole Fest, now and into the future, is endangered by these kits, and something needs to be done. Sent him a few suggestions; he says he'll get back soon. He has some deciding to do. He just wanted this to be fun; never imagined it would become chaotic or destructive.

Offering no kits to anyone who was not clearly planning on going as of Dec. 11, the day before the 'build' announcement, is one possibility. That would likely solve the overbooking situation at a stroke. Bob would still have to decide if attendees would be able to buy just one amp or more. Perhaps additional kits at a few hundred bucks more?

Or maybe go at it from the opposite extreme - offer kits to any halfway serious forum members who had some number (TBD) of posts as of that same date. There would be no attendance requirement at all, but those shipped kits would not be sold at such a giveaway price, though still cheaper overall than going to the Fest just to get one. This plan would also largely dis-incentivize the overbooking.

I further suggested that those very few who were at the Fest before, especially the last year or two, but for whatever reason can't make it this year, should still be able to buy a kit.

Anybody with a better idea, post it and I'll run it by Bob. Ultimately what happens is all up to him, for sure. Just have to wait and see.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 am

I kinda hate for our childish bickering to filter up to Bob and Watershed. It seems the only outside major issues have been people booking outside of the normal channels out of ignorance. Emphasizing that rather than 150 other rules might have prevented all of the subsequent bullshit. But, you know, hindsight is 20/20. Did you get any real feeling of capacity from Bob? I mean, there's obviously demand. I think any cuts should be around whatever quantities of kits can actually be supplied to us.

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong,, but I don’t remember this much turmoil when we built the first CF amps,,or the Lucas Linestage,,or the speakers,,,what has happened? During those builds I remember people helping each other and having fun.Its sad to see it come to this,,like I have said before,,if there are issues/questions,,, pick up the phone and talk about it,,lastly,, remember the spirit of the fest,,it’s about friendship,good times,making new friends and memories,,and most of all,,, the music!

Ignore this if you choose,, just a few thoughts from an old man.

sea
TFM-25

Post by sea » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am

Zoot Horn wrote:Someone please correct me if I’m wrong,, but I don’t remember this much turmoil when we built the first CF amps,,or the Lucas Linestage,,or the speakers,,,what has happened? During those builds I remember people helping each other and having fun.Its sad to see it come to this,,like I have said before,,if there are issues/questions,,, pick up the phone and talk about it,,lastly,, remember the spirit of the fest,,it’s about friendship,good times,making new friends and memories,,and most of all,,, the music!

I agree with the old man =D> =D>

iamjohngalt

Post by iamjohngalt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 am

Robert R wrote:I informed Bob about the problems last evening, though without detailing the acrimony or naming any names. Talked a bit on the phone, then e-mailed a more detailed account. Told him the whole Fest, now and into the future, is endangered by these kits, and something needs to be done. Sent him a few suggestions; he says he'll get back soon. He has some deciding to do. He just wanted this to be fun; never imagined it would become chaotic or destructive.

Offering no kits to anyone who was not clearly planning on going as of Dec. 11, the day before the 'build' announcement, is one possibility. That would likely solve the overbooking situation at a stroke. Bob would still have to decide if attendees would be able to buy just one amp or more. Perhaps additional kits at a few hundred bucks more?

Or maybe go at it from the opposite extreme - offer kits to any halfway serious forum members who had some number (TBD) of posts as of that same date. There would be no attendance requirement at all, but those shipped kits would not be sold at such a giveaway price, though still cheaper overall than going to the Fest just to get one. This plan would also largely dis-incentivize the overbooking.

I further suggested that those very few who were at the Fest before, especially the last year or two, but for whatever reason can't make it this year, should still be able to buy a kit.

Anybody with a better idea, post it and I'll run it by Bob. Ultimately what happens is all up to him, for sure. Just have to wait and see.

RR
What have I missed? Problems?
All I have seen is that there is limited information released and I am excited about the chance to be able to build a Carver amp with Bob.
For a fan of all things Carver, that is a chance in a lifetime!
Is anyone surprised that such a generous offer from Bob has the response of a thunderous standing ovation and everyone loves the idea?
I know I would not want to cause any problem for Bob or for the Fest on this, but I don't have enough information and since this is just in the early planning stages, I think that is normal.
Whatever Bob decides he can do will be ok with me =D> and I will be at the Fest regardless.
Components: Power Amps-Carver m4.0t, 1.0t, 1.5t, TFM22. Sherbourne 5/5210. Preamps: Carver C-1, Music Angel, Emotiva UMC-1. Speakers: Magnepan MG3a, MG2.5, MG1.6, Athena AS-F1, Emotiva 4S. Source: Dell Precision T5500. Wheels: '99 Miata 10AE.
"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision. The great creators—the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors—stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won."
Bob Carver belongs in such company as these.

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 pm

I am kind of shocked Bob would be brought into the loop when things were being worked out by all involved - or so it seemed.

Also being early into the reservation stages only, bothering him with the henpecking just adds a spoon to the pot.

Sure hope he sees how all of us are interested in whatever he decides now he is willing to do and that regardless of who is in what cabin, the interest in the amp build and in Carverfest is what it has always been. The disagreements have been accommodations only - which again, is being worked out because we are all family and families squabble all the time.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

UncleMeat
M-400t CUBE

Post by UncleMeat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Shortcake wrote:I am kind of shocked Bob would be brought into the loop when things were being worked out by all involved - or so it seemed.

Also being early into the reservation stages only, bothering him with the henpecking just adds a spoon to the pot.
You know; he has an account here. Kinda like "The Elf on the Shelf" I'd think...

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 pm

He may have an account here but TRUST me when I say that he would not have the first clue how to sign on unless he had directions. He is not an active member here. There is a liaison for the forums working out the details with him offline.

When he knows, we shall know. Unfortunately, that's all we've got right now.

Tom
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

UncleMeat
M-400t CUBE

Re:

Post by UncleMeat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:25 pm

treitz3 wrote:He may have an account here but TRUST me when I say that he would not have the first clue how to sign on unless he had directions.
I guess he had directions in 2010; and was/is a mod here as well:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=11098&p=105948#p105948
Audioshopper wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:"each monoblock is personally humped by Bob before shipment"

I laughed so hard my cheek muscles are going to ache for a week! Gary, can I use your quote in my next auctions?

Bob Carver
But, you don't have to log in here to see all of this 5H17 sandwich everyone has made, that's for ALL the public to view! #-o :lol:

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:Someone please correct me if I’m wrong,, but I don’t remember this much turmoil when we built the first CF amps,,or the Lucas Linestage,,or the speakers,,,what has happened? During those builds I remember people helping each other and having fun.Its sad to see it come to this,,like I have said before,,if there are issues/questions,,, pick up the phone and talk about it,,lastly,, remember the spirit of the fest,,it’s about friendship,good times,making new friends and memories,,and most of all,,, the music!

Gerorge

As you have mentioned, all of those builds where great
everybody helping each other and having fun

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Aurender N100H Music Server
Audioquest Diamond USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Okay, because I was cross referencing attendance of the Fest with the Reservations thread, I took it upon myself to add an "Interested & Quantity" part to Robert's original post, and will post it here. For anything that isn't correct, PM me and I'll fix it as admins are the only ones who can modify after 24hrs. At this point I do not think the "Not Interested" section is necessary, so I did not include it.

So far the count is up to 44 people from both forums that are interested in these amps, and based on quantity availability, up to 62+ amplifiers!

hewlew1 - 2 or 4
frenchguy - 2
radioeng2 - 1
Magnaryder - 2
Shortcake - 1
Morris - 1
Toy Maker - 2
sea - 2
BrianT - 1
kingman - 1
MRHP - 1
Don - 1