FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:29 am

TFM-75's CARVERFEST Pictures

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:37 pm

Toy Maker wrote:hehe, kinda funny seeing $5 RadioShack bananas on $7000 wires :)

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that as well. Kind of like a Ferrari with doughnuts, huh?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Are you sure those adapters aren't made of erotic unobtanium materials??
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:39 pm

Haha.....so this is what it takes to get you to post again? Now we know what to do to get you to join in on the discussions again! Muuhuuwaaahaaaahaaahaaa.

Actually, we never did talk about what they were made of. You mean the Rat Shack actually had some good stuff at one point?

Good to hear from you and thanks for the care package. That was unexpected. Tell Lawrence we all said "hey!". Oh, can you please ask him for the info. on the repair friend he has in Charlotte for me? I could use his expertise for a couple of amps. Thanks!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:54 pm

Actually treitz3, back in the 70's Radio Shack (TM) was in the top tier of the consumer end of the hi-fi scene counting among its peers such heavyweights as AR, Advent, ADS, KLH, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, Scott, Fisher and Sansui and had several of the top rated products by the top magazines of the day.

Little known fact but back then, Radio Shack, Kenwood (Trio), Pioneer and Marantz even made amplifiers and receivers for one another, so that nice marants 40WPC Integrated amp was actually made by Radio Shack and that Realistic 35WPC amp was actually a rebadged Kenwood. Juzt a matter of logistics back then in the days of manual assembly; it made sense.

Radio Shack got into trouble in the early 80's when it decided it needed to diversify its offerings and contract out more and more assembly and abandon its core business of small parts, ham radio, kits and hi-fi for even more mass market consumer electronics. We are talking TVs, CED Disk Players, Moog Synthesizers and its own line of non-industry compatible computers. Back then, their people were well trained and knowledgeable (hell, I can still quote several hundred small part catalog numbers off the top of my head some 30 years later). Today, good luck in finding someone there who knows what a 1/4" stereo plug, heat shrink tubing or disc capacitor is.

The bad rep they enjoy today is well deserved just as much as the good rep they had back then was just as well deserved.
Last edited by OBI56 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:09 pm

-hay mr radioeng2, long time no hear...let mr lawrence know we miss him

-i don't even drink but...i thought those[spk cables] had a red casing[garden hose diameter], and 999.silver

-i picked 'em up and was shocked at their light weight

-anyways, i had an arrangement w/mr lawrence for the pl1000 manual

-as always, great to hear from you
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:42 pm

I'll add my welcome back to the others, radioeng2! Good to see you back...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:43 pm

radioeng2 wrote:Are you sure those adapters aren't made of erotic unobtanium materials??

Sorry, I don't mean to correct you, but it is spelled "Unobtainium"
I have a bunch in the garage, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to find someone that can machine the stuff for me...
I want to make the chassis for the 4 Lightstar amps out of it. I tried Antiantium before, but it wouldn't hold up to the heat... it warps after 3,200 degrees f. Not good enough for these babies. The Unobtainium has no heat limits from what I remember. The hotter it gets, the stronger it gets.

Can you hook me up with a couple sets of your Unobtainium banana plugs ?? I could use a couple sets. Once I have the amps done, anything else connected to the amp will probably melt as well.
Know anyone making Unobtainium wires at all ?? That will be next.

and quit lurking, join in the fun man !!!!!
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:04 am

Toy Maker wrote:
radioeng2 wrote:Are you sure those adapters aren't made of erotic unobtanium materials??

Sorry, I don't mean to correct you, but it is spelled "Unobtainium"
I have a bunch in the garage, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to find someone that can machine the stuff for me...
I want to make the chassis for the 4 Lightstar amps out of it. I tried Antiantium before, but it wouldn't hold up to the heat... it warps after 3,200 degrees f. Not good enough for these babies. The Unobtainium has no heat limits from what I remember. The hotter it gets, the stronger it gets.

Can you hook me up with a couple sets of your Unobtainium banana plugs ?? I could use a couple sets. Once I have the amps done, anything else connected to the amp will probably melt as well.
Know anyone making Unobtainium wires at all ?? That will be next.

and quit lurking, join in the fun man !!!!!

ah...I'm pretty certain that's EXOTIC unobtainium....hehe....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 pm

It would be the "Rabbi" that would comment on the erotic part! How funny!!

Isn't erotic and exotic just a question of degree?? In the case of those AQ cables they are kind of erotic!! Just to know that somebody did spend big bucks on them somewhere! But they don't sound to bad either!! My older than the hills Martin Logan's have only recessed banana plug jacks. Needed some banana plug to hook up to them, so these were around... Not old RS...modern, straight outta the bubble pack! They are pretty solid...but I've gotten where I really dislike that kind of fake shiny plated metal finish that's on everything any more!

That was pretty funny stuff Toymaker!! I'm surprised you didn't comment on the erotic line too!! Go ahead...pile on!!

Maddmaxx!! Lawrence says he remembers the deal! He pleads for forgiveness and that he'll get here! Eventually. He's never bothered with a computer at home. All his time is at the bench or in front of the music system! He's been waiting for his computer to get fixed up. I had it forever and couldn't rid it of all the bugs on it. He's needing to reload some kind of OS to fix it but hasn't yet. He'll be here...

Treitz....Lawrence says he'll have to check and see about contact info. But the guys name is Rick Walker. He should have a listing you can find...maybe something under repair of high end stuff. He sent somebody else that way fairly recently and got something fixed up and that guy found him. But Lawrence will try to run that guy down and find out contact info.

Regarding the cables...we really should try next time to spend a little while with different cables! I just didn't realize you guys were all hauling in so much gear and much more time than just one short day was required! What a bunch of nuts! As long as nothing major comes up, I have every intention of trying to book in and do the whole thing this next time. Then I can be a nut in training maybe!!

I haven't been around because I haven't been here much! Home that is. Between a vacation, now a holiday trip and in between a couple of major work projects...you know the way it goes! And just when you think it can't get any worse....!!! But I actually had a bit of down time last week! Hope everybody else did too!! Take care...

Mark
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Edit...woops! Double post! My net connections been flaky tonight!
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:20 am

Wasn't there an old chicken joke that went something like "exotic is when you use the feathers, erotic is when you use the whole chicken".
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to CARVERFEST 07'