Schedule / Events / Ideas

<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:10 pm

Schedule / Events / Ideas

By Request:

skip wrote:Toy Maker,
Would you make a subforum under the fest 08 forum for event ideas? For one idea, I'd like to see a Carverfest '08 CD. Each attendee could pick a couple of their favorite songs and someone (like yourself, our resident computer nerd) could rip them onto discs in a lossless format. Burn copies for each attendee, and we've got a nice little sample 'o the fest for enjoyment when we need a fest fix.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Sasquatch wrote
Toy Maker,
Would you make a subforum under the fest 08 forum for event ideas? For one idea, I'd like to see a Carverfest '08 CD. Each attendee could pick a couple of their favorite songs and someone (like yourself, our resident computer nerd) could rip them onto discs in a lossless format. Burn copies for each attendee, and we've got a nice little sample 'o the fest for enjoyment when we need a fest fix.

I could bring the Tascam CC-222MKII and we can burn copies on it instead of the computer if y'all want.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:27 pm

-CALLING TREX !!!

-hay TREX..besides cuisine was there any ideas from 'polkfest' that might could help us w/CF'08 ?

-i heard that plat mkiv's were a big hit there !

-please don't take this as an insult, [great group of guyzes]..i just would like to 'copy' some of their 'format's ?

-CF'07 was splendido, you did a GREAT JOB, guy !!!

-OH a charityauction/raffle for 'GITHEN'S CENTER', [sir G1's dearly loved Tiffany] !!! *5*
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Mx said,
-OH a charityauction/raffle for 'GITHEN'S CENTER', [sir G1's dearly loved Tiffany] !!! A MUST

Now this is a good idea ! Way to go Mx. Your not so madd after all ! =D>
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:59 pm

One of the best ideas that came about at PF was just that. For those who don't know about the Githens Center, it is where Sir George gives all of his audio sales profits too. Tiffany Grand is his daughter who unfortunately left this world earlier than expected and still is his little sunshine who's spirit will always be with him and his family.

A raffle with all proceeds going to the Githens center, in memory of Tiffany Grand would be a wonderful idea. As for the prize to be raffled, the senior members can get together and figure something out. That won't be a problem. Two grand prizes will be offered, one for those that attend, and one for Carver fans that won't be able to make the event. Plenty of smaller prizes will also be available to win. In the meantime, if a member of the forum would like to step up either publically or privately to donate a prize to be raffled, PM either me or Toymaker and we'll make sure that it gets to CF '08.

The raffle tickets will cost a measly $10.00 each and all Carver forum members are welcome to join in the fun, whether they attend or not. That way, we can generate the greatest amount of donations toward a wonderful organization.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:14 pm

On a different note, I can bring a disc that has some fantastic recordings that seemed to be a big hit at PF. That album is "The World's greatest Audiophile Recordings", Chesky Records, 2006. Among those that are featured within this disc.........

Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem ***
Livingston Taylor - Isn't She Lovely
Valerie Joyce - Fever
Christy Baron - Ain't no Sunshine
Rosa Passos & Ron Carter - The Girl from Ipanema
Kenny Rankin - 'Round Midnight***
Sara K - What's a Little More Rain
Marta Gomez - Cielito Lindo
Laverne Butler - Isn't it a Pity
Xiomara - La Habana Joven
Carlos Franzetti - Once Upon a Summertime***
Ana Caram - Meditation

Now, this is a hybrid SACD. Will this present a problem when ripping / copying?

*** denotes my favorites for audio reproduction / sheer pleasure / hard for a system to get right.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:28 pm

Good Luck ! O:)
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:02 pm

treitz3 wrote:Now, this is a hybrid SACD. Will this present a problem when ripping / copying?.

It seems to me there would be no issue. The drives for copying and burning will probably only rip the standard def layer anyway because that would be the only layer they would likely read. I have not seen an SACD drive for a PC, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were out there.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:20 am

Re: Schedule / Events / Ideas

Anybody interested in going white water rafting down the Nantahala River? :D

<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 am

I have the same SACD, Tom.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:45 am

I have been working on a "Carverfeast 08 sampler CD" for a few weeks. It won't be as classy as yours Tom but I plan to bring copies for attendees. It consist of music (mostly rock, a little jazz) that sounds good on my Silvers. I also tried to include some less known tunes that you may not have heard. If we have more than 1 CD, even better.

Frank.

P.S. How mant CD's will I need?
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 am

Does the SACD have a two channel SACD mix, too? Some have all three, Redbook, SACD 2-channel, and SACD 6 (5.1) or 8 (7.1). If it has a 2 channel mix, you can take it through a Analog-to-Digital Converter (hopefully 24-bit x 192kHz) into your computer (hopefully via USB) into probably WAV format. I usually convert the WAV to Apple lossless in iTunes, add tags and burn it to CD. It's kinda convoluted, but no different than ripping vinyl.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:33 am

Frank, maybe we can take some of the $$$ out of the Paypal account and get 50-100 discs to hand out to the attendees and members of the forum that request copies. I'll get a feel for that idea when I make a post about it tonight. I have to run back to work right now.

I'm dead serious about wanting to go white water rafting. That's actually what made my wife and I discover the cabins in the first place. Maybe I'll start a separate thread about that tonight as well.

Oh, I almost forgot. Toymaker and I are going to be working on streaming some parts of the event LIVE for forum members to watch. We encountered technical difficulties at last year's event and hopefully those issues won't rear their ugly head again. Tim, the owner of the cabins had a technician come out after CF '07 to do some work and as far as they [the cabins] know, everything works (nobody has complained). Dreamer, when you read this....we may call upon you for some assistance. I'll keep you posted. Worst case scenario, we'll videotape the rigs, the attendees and parts of the event and post them up on You-tube. Either way, you'll get to see some of what goes on if you are not able to attend.

Bill, I'll get back to you about the CD tonight. I can't remember off the top of my head as I only listen to it in 2 channel SACD. :-k

<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:17 am

Toymaker, I wanted to offer to contribute to the Carverfest CD. Myself and dyeraudio have several best of cd's from a large jazz/smooth jazz radio station near dyeraudio's house in Chicago. The content is really good as well as the cd's are produced, mixed, and recorded extremely well. I have noted that some of the tracks on these cd's actually sound better than the same songs that are on the artists album. If you would like to use any of these let me know. I could drop a couple in the mail to you so you can have them beforehand.
Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Could I get a listen on them before the event?

Next

Return to CARVERFEST 08'