FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:17 pm

A new toy for Carverfest.....possibly two???

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:51 pm

A new toy for Carverfest.....possibly two???

I made a mistake in going to my favorite High end shop today. I can NEVER walk in there and not walk out with something. ](*,)

Self control went out the wayside, once AGAIN and I ended up talking to the boys and the owner of the shop for a couple of hours. Not planning on buying anything when I walked in, I ended up walking out with an order for a brand spankin' new Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine.

It's the 25th anniversary edition Mini pro [shown above] special order in the Jatoba [Brazillian Cherry] finish record cleaner that automates the fluid application, record scrubbing, and vacuuming both sides of the LP at the same time. Went ahead and got the optional dust cover and a gallon of pure2 LP cleaning fluid as well, and then John [the owner] threw them both in for free. That was cool and much appreciated.

A review to come a couple of days after I have the unit, which should be delivered next Friday [next week] or possibly the following Monday.

I will be bringing it to Carverfest, so start getting out those albums that you want to hear on some killer systems! If you don't already know, Sparky has the Music Hall MMF-5 w/ the Goldring cart. and the "clamp", which I was lucky enough to snag earlier this year.

So, next year we will have more vinyl playing at CF than we did at this years CF. Those that attend can get their ears on some good 'ol vinyl on some pretty decent players that folk's will be bringing [Sasquatch has a REAL nice AR TT with a kickin' cart. and word has it that /mx might be bringing his favorite TT :D ] It would be a great opportunity for those who are interested in reintroducing vinyl back into their rigs to come check out what in can offer in a "real world" scenario, and not a dealership.

Maybe.....just maybe I can hook it up to where we have a professional record flattener available for Carverfest next year, but I'm gonna have to pull some strings and talk to the powers that be on that one. Ray, maybe we can get that 1812 overture flattened out for ya'. Wish me luck!

Here's another pic. Whooo Hooo!
http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/nittygrittyjatoba.jpg :D
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:03 pm

Beautiful, Congrats Are you posting on the PF also?

engtaz
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 pm

engtaz wrote:Beautiful, Congrats Are you posting on the PF also?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59286
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:26 pm

Dude... U'r wife's going to cut u'r nuts off one night... and while you are in the hospital, getting them stitched back on, she going to sell US all your sh1t...
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:20 pm

Probably.

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 pm

still got dibs on the AUDIO rack.

heheheheheh

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm

OK, here's the deal with the record flattener. I can be part owner of the one that some fellas on the Polk forum have already purchased and that would get me use of it for two - 3 week sessions with it, but....and there's always a but....it cannot be guaranteed that I will be in possession of it for Carverfest. Not only this year, but following years as well due to the rotation schedule between all of the owners.

So, I either become part owner in the one they have and just use it for personal use. Or, I just purchase one myself. Or, if there is anybody who would be interested on this forum in going in on this unit with me [and it can be more than one person/owner], then by all means speak up. There's no reason why the vinyl heads on this forum wouldn't be able to do what they are doing, and at least this way the unit will always be available for Carverfest and CF attendees.

The unit retails for $1498 and it has been rumored that some online companies are offering a 30% discount. I haven't run across such a deal yet, but if it's out there, I will eventually.

http://www.furutech.com/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=263

<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:40 pm

MAYDAY MAYDAY!

Tom you are way beyond OCCD! We need an intervention to save you. The record cleaner is cool and beautifully finished but a record flatener?
Your marriage (possibly life) is in danger. We (selfish bastards) need you more than we need a $1500.00 record flatener. Who will do the fest if something untoward (I love that word) should happen to you?

Try two pieces of plate glass and a barbell plate. I've been told this will work with a possible savings of $1400.00.

Am I beinig overly cautious?

Frank.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:00 pm

I used to use glass plates and books. Keep the album in the sleeve between the glass plates and weight it with the books. Lay it on a table next to a window that gets morning sun, and presto, a flat album again.

Treitz, When can I send up my album collection for cleaning? Just kiddin man, I'm gonna get one of those Nitty Gritty or VPI cleaners myself one day. Save your money on solution, although in your case free was a very good price. You can make your own that's identicle to the commercial stuff for 1/10th the price. A good group purchase would be a bottle of photo wetting solution we could all share to make the cleaning fluid. It only takes a couple of drops per quart of solution, but it's only sold by the bottle and ain't that cheap unless you know a photographer that buys in quantity and will part with a small bottle.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:37 pm

skip wrote:... A good group purchase would be a bottle of photo wetting solution we could all share to make the cleaning fluid. It only takes a couple of drops per quart of solution, but it's only sold by the bottle and ain't that cheap unless you know a photographer that buys in quantity and will part with a small bottle.

If you're talking about Kodak Professional Photo-Flo 200 solution, I have the lion's share of a four ounce bottle (minus a few drops) that I used to make a cleaning solution for the optics of my telescope. I'd be willing to donate it to whomever (at least 3/4 of it anyway)

Enjoy!
Rich
Last edited by RichP714 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:19 pm

treitz3 wrote:...
The unit retails for $1498 and it has been rumored that some online companies are offering a 30% discount. I haven't run across such a deal yet, but if it's out there, I will eventually.
http://www.furutech.com/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=263

for only $9-$12k, how about a stylus-free laser turntable?
http://www.elpj.com/about/index.html

Then you wouldn't have to worry about warped vinyl or contact pressure, tracking force or cosine error....

;)

Enjoy!
Rich
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:56 am

SWEEEEET! =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 pm

for only $9-$12k, how about a stylus-free laser turntable?

They haven't really worked out all the bugs. A speck of dust ends up sounding like a bomb going off in your listening room.

Read between the grooves.........

That's why the laser beam reads everything – including dirt and dust in addition to the audio signal – in the groove, so the vinyl record must be absolutely clean and free of debris.

I've never heard an LP that was 100% "absolutely clean and free of debris."
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:49 pm

Nice, expensive unit I see. Wasn't even aware that they made such a thing.

Isn't this reading it as a digital signal, or at least sending it out as a digital signal thus defeating the purpose of analog and it's sound?

<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 pm

treitz3 wrote:Nice, expensive unit I see. Wasn't even aware that they made such a thing.

Isn't this reading it as a digital signal, or at least sending it out as a digital signal thus defeating the purpose of analog and it's sound?

Nope, it's analog, the link explains more, and as F1nut said it's susceptible to dirt.

Two additional laser beams are directed at the left groove wall and the right groove wall just below the tracking beams. Modulation on the individual grooves is reflected to scanner mirrors and onto left and right photo optical sensors. The variations of the modulated light cause the audio sensors to develop an electrical representation of the mechanical modulation of the grooves. The entire sound reproduction chain is analog.

I NEVER had the $ for such a unit, but used to have a pretty good turntable, what I used to do was use a carbon fibre brush and clean the vinyl while it was spinning AND in the other hand zap it with an audio technica anti-stat gun (similar to the zerostat but battery powered and more powerful). The dirt would practically LEAP off the vinyl onto the brush...Only drawback is since your brush is conductive you get zapped by the 50,000 volt static charge of the gun (you've gotta really want it). ;)

Then I'd hang a carbon fibre static drain wand over the vinyl during playback...it would drain the (now extremely negatively charged) disc during playback, providing a better path to ground than the stylus.

I have some recordings with an off-board DBX unit using this method that just float out from a velvety silence.

Enjoy!
Rich
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 08'