FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Ok, let's get down to the Nitty Gritty...............

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Ok, let's get down to the Nitty Gritty...............

Alright, those that attended this year's 'fest. You all heard some really fantastic systems. My question is Which one rocked your world the most?

For me? It was hands down Skip's Plat's with Bob's tube amps hooked up with the SDA 390t. That is probably the most accurate system I have ever heard. I have no freakin' clue who was playing but I do remember that it sounded as if the New Orleans jazz band was playing right there in the cabin. It had stage presence with an actual reproduction of the size of the venue, all needed frequencies and just the sweetest sound that one's ears could hear on a reproduced performance. Hands down, to me.........this was the nicest sounding rig I experienced at the 'fest.

Come on, don't be bashful. Give us the Nitty Gritty. Inquiring folks want to know.

Now, I have to be honest. If I had to chose the second nicest sounding rig to my ears.............um..................well...................uh geeez. That would be a hard one for me. :-k Regardless, all of the systems were good to outstanding in there own right and I can't wait until next years 'fest to get to sample another round of fantastic rigs! \:D/

Thanks to all that brought gear and made CF what it turned out to be!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Ok, let's get down to the Nitty Gritty...............

I'll be polite, and not, post what a little birdy whispered in my ear 8)
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 pm

So I take it that you preferred the sound of your rig over the others?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 pm

I would have to say I agree with you Tom. But I'll go further, Skip's Plats with the Sunfire amp sounded (to me) as least as good as the tube amps. The other system (and I think others will agree) that surprised me was F1nuts. The bass & the soundstage were terrific. I understand those Polks are actually yours. I think you will like them.

To some degree Skip may have benefitted from the location. I became aware of how important that can be with Rainmans Linn speakers. When he first set them up in the main cabin I was not too impressed. Later in our cabin thay sang beautifully. So there are room factors involved. All in all it was a GREAT experience both with the gear & the people.

FrankieD
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:49 am

Having listened to most of the systems I have to say that I was most impressed with Jesse's system, followed by Skip's Plat/tube combo. Now don't get me wrong, everyones system sounded very good, I was just more partial to those two.
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 am

I'll weigh in on this subject.

First, I want to remind everyone this is a purely subjective response. YMMV.

I was stunned by Skip's Plats, whatever was driving them. I heard his 9t's and BobC's tubers. Those plats drove the sound with authority and clarity at all volume levels. There was never any fatigue even after a solid hour at very high volume. The bass was always tight and well defined, factors that remained regardless of volume. I only wished for a bit larger space to increase the soundstage.

I had a tougher time getting an impression of Rabbit's rig, just because so many other things were being switched in and out, all of it well regarded. At any rate, my hat goes off to Gary for providing the "base system" allowing so much experimentation.

Treitz3 probably had the most balanced system. Although I didn't have much of a chance to critique it, I found it the most beautiful to look at. Too bad I had to leave just as he was getting it dialed in.

What about the Lightstars you may ask? I was fortunate enough to have slipped in to listen to James' rig when nobody else was around in a room quiet enough to hear a mouse piss on cotton. At last, I could listen to what I wanted to listen to without interruption. Unfortunately this was before the EQ was employed and the sound was tailored to be close to the Amazings. James, your speaks are gorgeous. Properly voiced I'm sure you would have a big seller on your hands.

I'm sure a lot of folks will mention Jesse's system. I deferred the sweet spot to other most of the time I was there and cannot reliably offer my own opinion.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Hey fellas, this thread was no to see which rig was "the best", I'm just trying to get a feel for how those that attended observed the different rigs. Everybody has there own interpretations/observations and I am just curious as to what you thought you liked.

Discussion of audio is what we do here on this forum. What better way to learn is there if we don't chat about our own rigs? Good or bad, horrible or fantastic....sometimes the best ways of learning are to just sit down and discuss the attributes and deficiencies of our own rigs. That's how I have learned and progressed to get to the point I'm at with my rig and trust me, whatever you have negative to say about my rig, I can guarantee you that I have about 15 more things that I would like to work on. It's work in progress and part of my own personal audio journey.

Those that heard my rig, feel free to chime in with the good, the bad, the negative....whatever. I will NOT be offended. This is how I learn. The one thing I learned long ago was that no matter what rig you currently have, no matter how nice or esoteric, no matter whether you run tubes, SS or both there is always a "better" system out there. I have accepted that fact, I can live with that fact and I'm cool with it. If those that came do not want to discuss the various rigs that were there, feel free to offer your observances you had on my rig. Like I said.....good, bad, whatever. Hit me.

<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:45 pm

I liked the european style of Treitz's system and I also thought his system presented the best sound stage as well. Trietz has put alot of thought and effort into his set up and he says it is still a work in progress I think he has the hardest part beat which is getting the soundstage the way he wants it. In saying this please keep in mind that I did not get a chance to sit and listen to F1's system properly.
I was also very impressed with all of the AL's and Platinums. Their ability to really fill the large open rooms with sound was quite a surprise. The only neutral comment I have about them is that it seems like it could be a bit tricky to get that giant ultra wide soundstage out of them. I could be wrong on the soundstage thing since everyone had to listen to them in what has to be the worst possible environment for stereo equipment. The listening environment made it even more amazing when everyones ribbons still managed to fill the entire room with accurate, clear, and pleasant sound!
I also wanted to mention how glad I was that not everyone had a chance to listen to my gear! My system performed so badly in that environment that I was downright embarrassed to say the least. I was actually thinking the magic smoke got out of something they sounded so bad. After returning them to a normal shape/size room I was relieved to be back to my normal soundstage that puts you in about the eigth row at your State Theater. So the end result is I wanted to let all the forum members know that everyone is always more than welcome to stop by for a real test flight anytime!

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:20 pm

I was lucky to have 4 systems in my house, and to have time listen to them with no one around, What a joy, each was different and each was great. For someone that has been listening to Plats for over 20 years to hear them hooked up to the tubes was a whole new experiance. I wish they had been hooked up to the AL5s for a little bit but then there is always next year. All in all great music, great sound, and great people, just not enough OLD TIME ROCK N ROLL. TOO BAD those cabins aren`t ours and we all don`t all live there full time what a collection of sound we`d have. I`m sorry I felt like shit most of the time and wasn`t myself but I`m glad to have been there and will looking forward to next year even as I drove down the driveway.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Heck,, after looking/listening to the other systems,,I kinda feel that bringing the little tylers to Carverfest,,was like bringing a kitten to a pitbull match. :lol: For me each system that I listened to had it's own "signature". Tom's -imaging and placement of the instruments in the soundstage was precise and full/deep,,I was astounded with the bass that the plats and ALIII's pumped out(among other things) The detail on the Linn's was impressive,, with lots of "air" ,,, Jesse,,well he never ceases to amaze me what he does with SDA's,,,just seems to get better and better,, James,, so much power and energy going thru that system,,I was afraid to get too close for fear of cardiac standstill. You guys give new meaning to the saying,,"go large,,or don't go at all" :D
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:40 pm

-j/k...gotchya...hehe
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey guys I think all the systems sounded great! All I have to say to Uncle Bob is keep making those tube amps they sounded great anything they were hooked up too! We all have to thank Tom for getting his system together I tought we would have never seen Sparky alive before we left! LOL!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:15 pm

You're just JEALOUS, Maxxx... :D

I LOVED some of the sounds coming out of Skip's Plats, but the upper range seemed flat to me, and the soundstage was for sure suffering from being cramped in that small corner. I'd like to hear them in their natural habitat.

Tom's system was great for the lower register, but I found the W I D E stance of the speakers provided an unusual soundstage to me, and they seemed to be lacking in the high treble (am I losing my hearing??).

I was thoroughly impressed with Mike's (Rainman) Linn/Carver setup. It had a great soundstage, INCREDIBLY clear upper range, and the small sub he was using blended well with the system. Never got a chance to hear dyeraudio's system except as part of the Trinaural setup Robert had.

Jesse's system was a TREAT. The soundstage was probably the best I heard at the Fest, with some small marks off for something I thought was missing, which Jesse admitted may have been due to the silk-dome tweeters (there are upgraded ones used commonly, I understand). I guess the "rubber glove" treatment pays off! I've never seen a more meticulously-maintained system, and THIS IS ONLY HIS OFFICE SYSTEM!! I'd love to hear the "special" system sometime....

I applaud James (Toy Maker) for his design on the AL-Vs, but I admitted last year that while they were indeed OMG LOUD, something was missing. After Bob & James did some tweaking with an EQ, I liked the sound MUCH better. Some additional tweaking is still in order, but I look forward to the final result. I'm MUCH more interested, however, in the new 90-inch ribbon & 22 mid-driver speaker Bob & James may be collaborating on (see the upcoming Q & A video with Bob)!!

That's all for now...had a couple drinks too many tonight...

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:51 pm

EVERYONE: Whoever never got a chance to hear my system, please do not base your impression of them on the trinaural setup. I have no idea what a three-speaker setup does to the soundstage of these speakers. As we all know, the acoustics of these cabins are not very helpful. My speakers are VERY similar to Mikes....plus being setup in front of a HUGE glass window and 30 ft. ceilings certainly did not do them justice. These need to be auditioned in an acoustically friendly situation. Thanks....
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

SteveFord

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:24 am

It was nice to hear them all - we showed up early and left early so a lot of people weren't set up.
Toymaker's system was the one for me. Enough volume to make you run for cover and the sound was crystal clear. He's really onto something with those speakers but the low impedence would be the killer if you wanted to put them into production.
Skip's system sounded like being at home, I really like the Platinums but Lynda says we have enough ginormous speakers in the house as it is.
Gary's system through those "sexy speakers" wasn't too shabby, either. I would have liked to have heard it in a more normal shaped room with different music.
I really wanted to hear Jesse's system with some big Maggies hooked up to them. I think that would have been the ticket.
The Linns we only heard at very low volume in a gigantic room but they sounded good considering. A smaller room, more volume and I suspect they would really sing.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 08'