FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Recommend a portable lossless player

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Recommend a portable lossless player

Could anyone recommend a portable player that plays lossless music with good output.

Thanks,
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Recommend a portable lossless player

How about an iPod?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Didn't you see my Ipod with the Wadia doc I had set up to Jesse's office rig in cabin #7 at CF! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:14 pm

1st question to ask is, how much storage do you need ?? Or, how much do you plan to need ??
2nd is how much $$ are you willing to spend ??

It depends on how much music you plan to rip or download, and how much you want to be able to carry with you.
I have had MANY MP3 layers, and staryed away from Apple for a while.... But I gave in and bought one, one day...
Wish I had gotten the iPod 1st :roll:

My personal opinion, is. to get yourself the best and biggest in your budget.
You will start filling up space FAST if you are new to this, and especially if you are planning all LOSSLESS files

My opinion based on size, not cost.

iPod Classic (80 GB or 160 GB)
Ipod Touch (32 GB or 16 GB)

Those are the only ones I will reccomend... depending on the storage you need/want, I wouldn't look at anything else.

Go on CraigsList, there are tons in Tampa.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:26 pm

Get one of these....

Silver Ipod Classic 160GB - $210 (Tampa) http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/867900243.html

ipod classic 80 gig - $120 http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/871038994.html
6th video ipod 80gig - $150 (brandon) http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/870638693.html
iPod 80GB Classic 6th Gen EXCELLENT COND/WRNTY - $195 (Wesley Chapel/New Tampa) http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/871105130.html
80GB Ipod classic...Brand new, NEVER before used - $190 (Tampa area) http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/871746867.html

16 GB APPLE IPOD I TOUCH - $199 (tampa) http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/870422583.html
Apple iPod Touch 16 GIG - MP3 Music / Movies / Games / Applications - $200 (Central St. Petersburg) http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/867452247.html
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:24 am

I dislike apple software. :( Is apple that good or is there other options?
engtaz

C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:17 am

I have a Zune player; I've had no issues with it, but the Apple is more versatile.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 am

How lossless is mp4 and what is the sound quality differences of the itough phone and ipod. Zune vs ipod?

Thanks
engtaz

<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:24 am

Zune records in Windows Media Lossless format. Not sure what the difference is.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 am

MP4 is the "video" layer... MP3 is an "audio" layer.... (just in case you didn't know that)
I have no clue which player has the best audio output.... I would expect them to all be about the same quality.
If you are looking for super quality output, I would expect you will need an highr end external DAC.

I always hated Apple as well for years. At 1st the software is a PITA, but the hardware more than makes up for it !!!
TRUST ME, I was hardcore staying away from Apple products for 10 years... Now, I am even thinking about buying the 24" iMac... I have always liked Microsoft, and thought they were doing a great job, till Vista came out...
I played with Gary's Zune at CF... it was cool, but side by side, I'd still stick with an iPod. The interface on the Zune was a little clumbsy... the iPod wheel works way better than the clicky buttons on the Zune, and the iPod Touch, well, that's even more kick ass.

Think Storage... forget about who makes what, and what software you will be using. You'll only use the soft ware once a month, if that. Ipod and Zune are the only 2 huge players. Zune has a 40 and an 80 GB, iPods are 40, 80 and 160 GB.... I am a total tech geek, and I say get an iPod.
Get a used one, and play with it, if you REALLY hate, it sell it and get your $$ back, and buy the Zune.
Once you get used to iTunes, you will change your mind.
Just so you know, I have about 45 GB of music, and I have never spent 1 penny on iTunes.

Well, here's a list of the MP3's I've had.

Rio Carbon: $175 5 or 6 GB
This was probably my favorite player as far as looks go.
They are discontinued (bought out by apple and shut down) and are pretty fragile (don't drop it even once)

MobiBlu: $100 1-4GB
These are "cute" really small and work very well. Pretty durable.
The headphone really suck, and are built into the neck strap, so it's really hard to find anything to replace them.
Just checked their website, and they have a ton of new toys... AND it looks like apple bought them up as well
http://www.mobibluamerica.com/

iPod Shuffle: $75 1-2 GB
This thing is probably the one I use the most... it's STUPID small, and clips on to my shirt pocket.
I use it with a set of BOSE ear plugs and it sounds really good. I change my music out on it all the time, cause I can't put all 45 GB on there...

iPod Classic $150-350 80-160 GB
This one was great, it held EVERYTHING !! That's all I took to CarverFest 07' was an iPod... you can ask Tom it sounded GOOD for being poor MP3 formats. BIG STORAGE for lossless files !!!!

iPod Touch 8-32 GB $200-450
I like the screen on this one the best... Big ass touch screen for watching videos. WiFi, YouTube, AIM, Calc,
Pretty much an all-in-one media player. The biggest downfall to this one is the price... this one ain't cheap.
But you ARE getting what you pay for in this one !!

When it comes to Tech Toys, Apple really has their shit together, and are leading the race by far, and winning.
Microsoft is about 6 months to a year behind them, and always trying to play catch up with them.
I used to be SOOOO ANTI-MAC.... now... I am slowly going over to the Dark Side... as where any Mac user will say...
No.. You are finally starting to see the Light....

Either way... STORAGE STORAGE STORAGE !!!! Get something BIG !!! It will go FAST.........

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:35 am

engtaz wrote:How lossless is mp4 and what is the sound quality differences of the itough phone and ipod. Zune vs ipod?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_data_compression

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:30 am

I need to switch carriers so I ended up with the iPhone. It will do double duty. I don'y mind the limited space on the phone. I tend to switch my soung list offten.

Thanks for the comments,
engtaz

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:59 am

Didn't know you were looking to switch phones, I would have told you to go with the iPhine 1st...
I love mine, and ATT seems to be 100x better than the T-mobile service I had before.
I think mine was one ov the VERY few phones to get a signal to the cabins.
I do have to admit, I almost never use my phone for music... I dono, it's easier to use the Shuffle I have for music.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Return to CARVERFEST 08'