FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Interesting bit of Phase Linear trivia....

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Interesting bit of Phase Linear trivia....

Found this poking around on the interwebs:

An Early DBT (Double Blind Test) of Amplifiers

Back in the mid 1970s J. Peter Moncrief (later "IAR") became somewhat infamous for conducting a pretty thorough DBT of power amps. He was an obsessive, and rather meticulous researcher. He spent around a year doing his experiment, and then wrote it up for "Sound Advice" magazine, a San Francisco based audiophile mag that enjoyed some prominence in that period. Just about every serious audiophile in the Berkeley/SF area ended up partaking in the test. I did the test exactly in the period that our Paragon preamp was coming to market. Moncrief was an extraordinary "character" to say the very least. But I digress.

Moncrief achieved some infamy because of his result. He tested high-end amplifiers from the likes of Audio Research, Levinson, Marantz, McIntosh and others from more of a mid-fi status. Maybe 12 to 15 amps in total. The winner of this DBT preference test? Bob Carver's Phase Linear 400. Needless to say, this set the audiophile community on it's literal ear. As anyone can predict, there was a huge rush on PL-400 amplifiers, and everyone had to get one. There were two camps immediately formed. First, "He is full of total crap and this amp is rubbish." Second, "You know, this amp is pretty darn good when you give it a fair listen." And so for a time - maybe a year or so - lot's of Bay Area audiophiles had a PL-400 sitting around and sometimes even in their systems. But, after a while, they were all gone, and everyone went back to their "personal favorites."

His DBT testing schema was pretty darn good for it's time. Far more rigorous than the usual "listening session" conducted by magazine reviewers. But in the end, the outcome wasn't really all that meaningful when applied to the consumer's question, "What power amp do I think sound's best." Just because Consumer Reports declares the Toyota Camry or the Honda Accord, or whatever to be the "Best Sedan" doesn't mean at all that it is best for YOU. Bias rules.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Interesting bit of Phase Linear trivia....

Gary,

Thanks for the post. Both interesting and predictable. :-k :-k
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Interesting... I've only heard a 700b and a 300. I was honestly both surprised and impressed with the 700b, not so much with the 300 though.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks for the post...me and Bob know what the 400 sounds like...and we LIKEY!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Interesting and always Fun to read things that are new to me. Thanks!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

OCCD

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Scarabeo wrote:Interesting and always Fun to read things that are new to me. Thanks!

Interesting
Give me a "Fist" full of coins and I'll save it for Carver gear!!!
<<

Kingshead

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Just seems like when ever Bob's put to the test his challengers always end up crying Uncle.
College Prof.

Return to Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend