FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:41 am

Christmas Q&A with Bob

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 am

Christmas Q&A with Bob

Bob and his wife are here in Fort Myers for the holiday. Peggy's mother lives here, and they come to visit every so often.

I spoke to Bob today, and it looks like he will be coming over to the house for at while on Tuesday.
I thought of this after we spoke, so I will have to check with him tomorrow...
I thought it might be a cool idea to have a mini Christmas Q&A from and for the forum members.

Not sure this will happen, but if you have something you'd like to ask, post your question here, and if we have the time, I will go through them and see if he's up to answering a bunch of questions for everyone.

Please keep the questions short and clean.
CHOOSE YOUR OPTION... THEN CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW
**SPEAKER SET - 2ND CHANCE OFFER**

SPEAKER STANDS - PICK UP / SHIP
<<

MRHP

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:04 am

Re: Christmas Q&A with Bob

Bob how is an amplifier "voiced" and over the years have you voiced each amp a little different or tried to keep them all similar?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Peggy!

Thanks,Eric
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 pm

James, ask Bob what would be a suitable replacement driver for the midrange in the Andromeda 3's
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

pmat

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Bob, would you consider producing a poor man's tube amp that regular Joe's could purchase?
Power is the aphrodisiac of audio
<<

DavidL

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:07 am

James, if not too late, inquire as to the the C-1 Tone Controls. I read the owners manual but my understanding is still fuzzy.
1. The 8Hz/2 Hz push on button: push on ( button depressed) activates the tone contour control in 2 Hz range versus 8 Hz with the button not depressed: 2 Hz -vs-8 Hz range?? Or does button depressed keeps boost to a maximum of +10 dB versus a maximum of +12 dB with the button not depressed? In both 2 hz range & 8 Hz range simultaneously?
2. Why 2 Hz and 8 Hz ?

Thank you for any clarification.
C-1/ BillD mod + M-1.0t mk II + Sunfire CRM-2 + SubRosa SRS-210R w/ SRA-2700EQ amp + SD/A360 changer or Yamaha CDC 555 changer, Nikko NP-550 TT
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:10 am

Nice James, Thank you for all you do.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:44 am

Is that design using the KT-150 he mentioned a couple years ago going to come to market?

Wouldn't a simple push-pull pair of KT-150 style amp with a triode/pentode switch be unique on the market?
This is the year of "The Fest"!
<<

Robert R

TFM-55

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:19 pm

James went to pick up Bob a hour ago, and now they are doing a little shopping on the way here.
So any time now, the fun begins.

Roy, go home early "sick" and haul on down here!

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:22 pm

ask Bob if he would be willing to design an SET amp featuring a single KT 150. I wager the set folks would love that kind of power :D

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Robert R

TFM-55

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Bob's time here was very limited today (Tuesday), so everything was a rush. Mostly we messed with the new Fest speaker crossovers, a job to be continued Friday, with an earlier start. He really wants these to be exceptionally good, and though he said they were already quite good (he especially approved of the sound-stage), he wants to tone down the highs some more. We knew that there was a need for that, but Bob has a cute way of doing it.

As far as the sensitivity of these speakers, they are higher impedance than the CRM2s, but with a Carverfest tube amp running off the 8 ohm tap he figures they will hold their own very well.

As to the Q & A, that didn't happen yet. I did get a chance to ask a few questions on the ride back to his place (Peggy's mother's apartment, 45 miles away !)
I got his reaction to triode amps, and he isn't at all interested in building any.
But an amp running a single pair of KT-120's per channel (times 2 for stereo) is in the works already, to sell (this is tentative, now) in the range of $3000.

Also, Bob reiterated that the Sunfire service information is perfectly OK to publish, as it's in the Public Domain.

All in all a productive afternoon.

RobertR
<<

milsap195

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:54 am

I am kinda supprised that he has not started making the baby black beauty amp again that was a hit. Did he mention anything about making a matching pre amp for his current products?
Modified Carver VTA 180 with KT-150's, Oppo 105, Emotiva xsp-1, Anthony Gallo Classico 4
Sansui SR838 tt
<<

Gene C

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:44 am

Hey James, this sounds cool. Could you ask Bob about how the 305 tube amps would do in comparison to the SS amps (like the Silver 7t) on shorting loads between .7 and 2 ohms? The shorting loads are in reference to the Infinity Kappa 9a speakers. Thanks!
Living room...Sunfire TGP-III 11.4 setup 4 Silver Seven t's/Infinity Kappa 9A (main)/ 4 TFM-45's/ CRS3 (main) /Sunfire CRS3C (center)/Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 v2/Jolida JD-9 II /Apple TV/Wadia 171i/SD/A-490T /WA6/Infinity PS-312 sub & Sunfire Signature Sub (rear)/2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 watt subs (front)/AV-806X/4 Infinity C255ES bi pole speakers for sur, sur back and side axis/70" Sharp Aquos LC-70LE733U/Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray/Douglas Interconnects & 9ga speaker cable.

Garage... CT-17/M-0.5t/TFM-15cb/AV-64/AudioSource EQ Eight Series II 4 Infinity micro sl speakers/2 Martin Logan Motion 4/Infinity Entra 12" Sub.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:40 pm

Robert R wrote:Bob's time here was very limited today (Tuesday), so everything was a rush. Mostly we messed with the new Fest speaker crossovers, a job to be continued Friday, with an earlier start. He really wants these to be exceptionally good, and though he said they were already quite good (he especially approved of the sound-stage), he wants to tone down the highs some more. We knew that there was a need for that, but Bob has a cute way of doing it.

As far as the sensitivity of these speakers, they are higher impedance than the CRM2s, but with a Carverfest tube amp running off the 8 ohm tap he figures they will hold their own very well.

All in all a productive afternoon.

RobertR

I'm glad they'll work with my current round of amplifiers, I've got 24 watts max to work with. I'd like my power to see a flat impedance curve.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Robert R

TFM-55

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:19 pm

The way things are shaping up now, the final impedance should be around 7 ohms. I ran a frequency sweep and found very mild changes over the range - nothing abrupt or outlandish. Should give no amplifier any trouble. Guessing the efficiency figure might be around 89, but the jury's still out on that.

And Bob says the CRM-2's are actually higher than 4 ohms. So there's less difference than the "nominal" values would lead one to believe.

Latest thinking still considers adding a control or two. Pots, especially higher wattage ones needed for crossovers, are not cheap, and we have to consider costs all the time; switches are less money, but less flexible. With the speakers up higher and angled down right at the listener, the Sunfires seem overly bright, and of course so do these, if we set them to match the CRMs response. So possibly a high frequency trim switch or pot. The other proposed control, if it happens, is still classified...

Humbug day tomorrow. We will probably work on the project, because everything must be set up and ready for Bob, who comes Friday AM.

Still time for question submission - either forum can play, of course. Maybe someone who goes there can start a post. How about it, GeneC?

RobertR
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 pm

There's a thread over there already.
**SPEAKER SET - 2ND CHANCE OFFER**

SPEAKER STANDS - PICK UP / SHIP