FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:14 pm

"Bob Carver is a Rube" ??? Get a load of this SHIT !!!

<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: "Bob Carver is a Rube" ??? Get a load of this SHIT !!!

Toy Maker wrote:
Ricardo-HTRookie wrote:Wow, cool forum. You can say the F word here.

Just passing by. On my way out now.

That's right... this IS still America.
For now at least.....

That shit is scary James......
Last edited by stevewithrow on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Toy Maker wrote:(I have heard) from a few different people now, that the Silver-9 Tube amps my father got his hands on are:
"The best Tube amps in the world" Now just how realistic is that statement ??
Not very realistic at all. It's a completely subjective subject. Much like food. You may have your version of the "best" mac-and-cheese....but others may not like yours and I have "the best". It's all BS when someone in our hobby says that something's "the best". Also, I believe that you may be confusing the Silver Seven's with the Silver 9's. Only a small handful of folks in the world have even heard the Silver 9's to my knowledge. The S7's were/are what is held in high regard.

That said, the amps that Dave bought [the lucky bastard that he is] are still regarded as being some of the best produced throughout the history of audio. Problem is, not many folks have heard them. That's about to change but I doubt the observations will change that much, at least that's my educated decision based upon my experience with Bob's work first hand without having ever heard them.

Those that attend Carverfest this year can make their own observations and come to their own conclusions as to how they sound.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Tom, I think that you are missing one key word in your statement about the Silver 9 tube amps:

Only a handful of people have heard OF the Silver 9 Tube Amps, let alone heard them.

The Silver 6 Tube amps are also rarely heard of or known despite there reputedly being about 50 pairs in existence and DaveS also owns a set of those.

The Silver 7 Tube Amps are the ones that the most people have heard about, have been reviewed in magazines and touted as being AMONG the best amps ever made; all 50 pairs of them. The Silver 9 Tube Amps are the rarest of all the Carver Amps as production figures for them vary from 2 to 4 pairs in total (Bob owns 1 pair, the Editor of The Absolute Sound received a pair from Bob and DaveS's pair are the only ones I have been able to document)

From what I have been able to piece together, the Silver 6 (12 tube) were rated at 300WPC, the Silver 7 (15 tube) were rated at 375WPC and the Silver 9 (20 tube) were rated at somewhere between 525 and 575WPC .

This might explain why the early Silver-7t amps were rated at 375WPC and the later ones (as well as the Silver-9t) were rated at 575WPC.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:15 pm

There must be 7 pair of the Silver 9s out there. Up until recentlly Bob didn`t have a pair but built 2 pair in Candy Apple Red for himself and someone saw them and bought a pair from him. I never took mine out of the box (Rita & Bob get to take them out for the first time since they left the BENCH) to look for a serial number so this is just guess work. I`ll ask Bob Tuesday for the real story.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:48 pm

mrbigbluelight wrote:Hello, F1 !

Was going to post some cat pictures, but didn't want to funk up your thread. [-X

Well, gotta go watch Pineapple Express on my DENON AVR988 and Polk speakers.

\:D/

I'll mess up the thread...it's a messed-up thread, anyways...

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:49 am

DaveS wrote:There must be 7 pair of the Silver 9s out there. Up until recentlly Bob didn`t have a pair but built 2 pair in Candy Apple Red for himself and someone saw them and bought a pair from him. I never took mine out of the box (Rita & Bob get to take them out for the first time since they left the BENCH) to look for a serial number so this is just guess work. I`ll ask Bob Tuesday for the real story.

Good to know Dave. Sooner or later all of this is going to get straightened out.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:52 pm

:-k
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 pm

... They killed the thread....
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm

guess since they killed the thread they will have to go back to sparing about Emovita and what AVR is better with a Polk speaker.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:29 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:... I killed the thread....

There, I fixed it for you.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 am

The Unofficial numbers are as follows.

Silver-6 Tube amps - 12 tubes (approx. 50 pairs built)
Silver-7 Tube amps - 15 tubes (approx. 50 pairs built)
Silver-9 Tube amps - 20 tubes (approx. 4 pairs built) "Prototypes Only"
Cherry-9 Tube amps - 20 tubes (2 pairs built so far) Bob's custom personal amps. We should have photos of these soon.

Silver-1 Tube Preamp - 21 tubes (2 built) "Prototypes Only"
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 am

F1nut wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:... I killed the thread....

There, I fixed it for you.

Thanks F1... personally I am glad its dead :-"
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
Previous

Return to Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend