April 4 mini git together

Meetings / Gatherings
tinpan
TFM-45

April 4 mini git together

Post by tinpan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:07 am

I had a nice little get together for a couple hours last night, filll35u with his lovely wife and Rabbit came over. We checked out a couple of the systems at the house and retired to the garage.

Here's a shot Phil, he likes to move around a lot so he pretty much stood the whole time.

Myself, feeling a little relaxed just grabbed a chair and snapped this shot of Rabbitt, who with 4 hours of sleep in the previous 48 hours, was even more relaxed than I.

Nana, my AKC registered tennis ball retriever, had to get his shot in too.

Phil got a chance to brush up on different tubes, we listened to 3 different 300b set ups all with different transformers, a KT120 set up and an EL 84 set up. I pretty much took the opportunity to laugh at BASSPIG's stupid little test on the Baby Black Beauty's. You can critique my horn set up with these amps for a lot of things, but not having bass isn't one of them. Anyway, I'm still laughing :D at the big dummy.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: April 4 mini git together

Post by radioeng2 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:37 am

Boy does that look like a good time!! Wish I could hear that!!

Great to see Gary in there. Hope he's off sleeping it off today!

Sorry you had to suffer through that terrible measuring Baby Black Beauty performance! #-o Where's an "expert" when you need one....? :lol:

Mark

PS...thanks for posting the pics!!
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 am

Cool !!!! Thanks for sharing Tinpan!!!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:10 am

Looks like you guys had a good time! \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:09 am

radioeng2 wrote:Boy does that look like a good time!! Wish I could hear that!!

Great to see Gary in there. Hope he's off sleeping it off today!

Sorry you had to suffer through that terrible measuring Baby Black Beauty performance! #-o Where's an "expert" when you need one....? :lol:

Mark

PS...thanks for posting the pics!!
He was there supervising the build, you know , the guy who designed it in the first place. He's the fellow who's been building amplifiers for oh say 40 fucking years and has what...about 200 fucking patents on amplifier design. Pretty much makes him an 'ampliplier expert' don't it?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 am

Looks like a good time was had by all.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Looks like an awesome time was had! =D> Would love to heat it some day!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 am

Looks like a good time for sure! Hope Rabbit got himself some sleep! I envy you that huge garage! Man, it would be so great to have all that space!
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

trav0810
TFM-35

Post by trav0810 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 am

helicopterpilotdoug wrote:Looks like a good time for sure! Hope Rabbit got himself some sleep! I envy you that huge garage! Man, it would be so great to have all that space!
I hear that, if I had that kind of space, I wouldn't be looking to sell my SDA's. Awesome space! I bet that was a great time.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Nice
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:02 pm

tinpan wrote:I had a nice little get together for a couple hours last night, filll35u with his lovely wife and Rabbit came over. We checked out a couple of the systems at the house and retired to the garage.

Here's a shot Phil, he likes to move around a lot so he pretty much stood the whole time.

Myself, feeling a little relaxed just grabbed a chair and snapped this shot of Rabbitt, who with 4 hours of sleep in the previous 48 hours, was even more relaxed than I.

Nana, my AKC registered tennis ball retriever, had to get his shot in too.

Phil got a chance to brush up on different tubes, we listened to 3 different 300b set ups all with different transformers, a KT120 set up and an EL 84 set up. I pretty much took the opportunity to laugh at BASSPIG's stupid little test on the Baby Black Beauty's. You can critique my horn set up with these amps for a lot of things, but not having bass isn't one of them. Anyway, I'm still laughing :D at the big dummy.
You ever get those cabinets? I dont see any in the pictures hehehe....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

tinpan
TFM-45

Post by tinpan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:45 pm

No I didn't, I measured and measured and measured and I couldn't find a way to make them fit. Each speaker would have been 12.5 wide and there wasn't a way to place them without losing a door to the kitchen or other part of the garage.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Tinpan have you rolled any tubes thru the Baby Black yet?

BTW Those "garage" speakers would look good in my basement! :D
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

fill35U
M-400t CUBE

Post by fill35U » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Thank you again, Tinpan, for being such a gracious host! You have some amazing gear, and a beautiful home. The photos don't do them justice. The stable of Packards is pretty awesome, too!

So many systems, so little time! I rarely have a chance to even meet other audiophiles, let alone hear their setups. I learned a vast amount in the few hours we had.

Lol, yes, I am the exact *opposite* of a "head-in-the-vise" listener. Sitting in the sweet spot at full volume is what I do if I want to take a nap. So I like to be surrounded by music while I'm moving around and doing other activities. Besides, I wanted to check the near field and off-axis of all the different types of speakers! :D

Gary is a terrific guy, too! Hopefully next time he won't be running on empty.

One thing I realized is that I need to get on the ball, do the FLAC thing, and store all my music. Right now I'm spinning CD's. I've seen the light! :)

Next time, my girl wants to hear you play some of your banjos- she *loves* banjo music!

I'll let you know the next time we're passing through.
Living room system: TGP IV, TX-8r, TD-1400, PT-2400(x6), PM-1.5a(x3), TFM-45(x2), TFM-55, Silver Amazings Mk IV

Spares/projects: C-9, M-400, PM-350(x2), M-1.5t(x2), PT-2400(x2-1/2), PT-1800(x4), TGP I, Architectural True Sub, pm420

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 pm

looks like a great time was had.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”