Memorial Day impromptu meet in Southern Maryland?

Meetings / Gatherings
garcianc
TFM-35

Memorial Day impromptu meet in Southern Maryland?

Post by garcianc » Sat May 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks Dreamer for this idea!

Let me be the first to try it...

My trip to NYC this weekend got postponed. So, if I get enough interest, we can have a quick get-together at my house in Upper Marlboro, MD on Monday afternoon(ish). PM me, call, or email and I'll send you my address and/or directions. This is completely informal. So, if you spend more than 10 minutes planning what to wear, bring, etc., you just wasted 9 minutes. All you gotta do is get here and maybe bring some CDs or your favorite adult beverage.

It's too nice for me to be checking for PMs all weekend, so try my cell phone first.

Later,
Nelson
Last edited by garcianc on Mon May 28, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I'd love to! I left a message on your cell phone...

Gary
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 27, 2007 3:31 am

I'll be there with bells on, and a box of goodies too!

I've already Goggle-Mapped your location, and will be calling Sunday to firm things up.

Thanks for volunteering!

I'd LOVE to offer my place for the next one, but as you all know, I'm moving from the area in two weeks to Fayetteville NC. Speaking of which, I'm planning to have a BIG house-warming party sometime in late June or Early July, part of which will include a listening session for all my Carver and ML friends down in NC if they want to come. (I'll post details once we get things all re-organised in a few weeks...)

I'm sure all the Carver nuts down there will be happy to have me, but I'm gonna miss all you Carver folks in the DC metro area (an my ML buddies too!)

See ya Monday!

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sun May 27, 2007 7:42 am

You guys are so lucky to live close to one another. We all live to far apart out here. Sure sounds like fun to have a jam session with fellow Carver audio-fools. Have fun guys. O:)

PS. If you see a Vet or Soldier on your way, Don't forget to thank them.

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Sun May 27, 2007 11:01 am

garcianc,

Well poop!

Wouldn't you know I am working on Monday. I would have liked to attend.

Dreamer,

Poop again! I always figured I'd have a chance to hear your system living as close as I do, but I see it slipping away.

overworked, weitrhino

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sun May 27, 2007 1:46 pm

Weitrhino, you are always welcome to stay at my pad and we'll hop on down to Dreamer's crib [once he's up and running again]. You snooze, you lose. The same goes for Carverfest!!! My door is always open for a forum member. Note: plan on drinkin' some beer \:D/

Sorry I can't make this one Garcianc, gotta freakin' work, but I'll see you and your rig soon enough!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Sun May 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Just got a chance to get back online after some spousal work assignments - which may or may not be finished before you guys show up tomorrow.
Sometime tomorrow I will edit my posts in this thread to delete my address and phone numbers from my posts, to keep the spammers somewhat at bay.
In the meantime, here is my contact info:
Nelson Garcia
[edited to remove address and phone nbrs]
Talk to you guys later.
Nelson
Last edited by garcianc on Mon May 28, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m1.5tman
M-400t CUBE

Post by m1.5tman » Sun May 27, 2007 8:15 pm

Why can't something like this ever happen in Maine ? ](*,) Some of us (like me) are of little means, and circumstance (re: unreasonable wife) prevents me from hosting a fun gettogether. I also have to admit that I fear others would laugh at or otherwise be disappointed by my system. The latter being my greatest concern.
M1.5t; TFM-55; C-1; TX-11a; TX-2; C-9; Pioneer A-717 integrated amp; HPM-100's

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sun May 27, 2007 8:43 pm

I'm going to have to beg off tomorrow, guys. I got my truck together & started it up today only to find about 3 quarts of oil on the ground and I don't know where it came from!! GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

So, thanks for the invite; I was really looking forward to it. Maybe another time....

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your vehicular misfortune TNRabbit. Bummer. I was really looking forward to finally meeting you...

But I'm going to Nelson's anyway. I promise we'll take pics, and post a full writeup of the afternoon's events for you and the rest of the folks here.

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Mon May 28, 2007 8:10 am

treitz3 wrote:Weitrhino, you are always welcome to stay at my pad and we'll hop on down to Dreamer's crib [once he's up and running again].
Much obliged for that kind offer. We drive down to Myrtle usually during the summer to the family condo for a week. That hasn't been nailed down as yet, but I'll let you know when we're coming through.

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Mon May 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, it was just me and Dreamer and the family but it was a well-deserved break for me and I think Dreamer enjoyed himself too.
We almost worked out a trade between Dreamer's Oppo DV-981HD player and my Sunfire True Sub Mark IV, plus a draft choice to be named later... maybe next time...
I might have convinced Dreamer that subwoofers (yes, plural) are not all that bad.
Wish more of you could have made it. Sorry about the short notice but my schedule wouldn't be able to support another get together for almost a month. TNRabbit, feel free to "truck on in" when you are able. Does that truck of yours haul Carver speakers?
Time to sign off. My wife is putting back to work.
Later,
Nelson

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Mon May 28, 2007 8:25 pm

A baby step is better than a fall !
Glad you showed up for Nelson Dreamer. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
I sure wish us nutz on the west side could get together some how. [-o< [-o< [-o<

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon May 28, 2007 8:47 pm

I'm sorry I missed it!! But I got my truck fixed and new she purrs like a tiger! Glad you two were able to get together but I sure wish I could have done so as well...

My truck CAN haul Carver speakers, but I have to pack them up so much it's not worth a small trip to do so. I bubble wrap them, put high density foam around the edges, & wrap the entire thing in shrink wrap (it's an industrial size Saran Wrap).

Here's a short video of my first drive with the truck!! I mention a problem with the brake light but that has been corrected:

Click here to watch First-Drive-After-Engine-Rebuild-1994-Toyota-Pickup-XtraCab-4x4
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon May 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Well, as Nelson said, it was just the two of us this afternoon, but we had a pretty good time. I took my Oppo DV-981HD and compared it against his DV-970HD, and we both agreed there is a pretty big sonic difference when playing music-only CDs (Redbook and SACD), and although I didn't see the video output from his 970, he said that the HD upconversion video on my 981 was definitely smoother and more detailed tthan his player, so I guess I made the right decision by going with the top Oppo unit.

I also took some of my Silver cables from White Zombie audio, which we used to hook up the Oppo, and they also added to it's sound, I think. The speaker cables I too just weren't going to work in his setup (his rack is too far from the speakers, with cables fed through the walls) wo we didn't get s a chance to try that out. And although I brough some of my new RA cones, his rack is pretty tight (and Nelson's not as much of a tweaker as I am) so we passed on that too.

But we listened to a TON of music, from Pink Floyd to Mozart to VM Bhatt to Dianna Krall to Eva Cassidy, and I have to say that his system is certainly authoratative. With two (yes two) subs (a newly acquired Outlaw and a Sunfire True Mk IV) controlled by a Velodyne SMS unit, and some pretty big Polks as his mains, this system is definitely a sweet-sounding 7.1 (or should that be 7.2?!?) system. The in-wall surround speakers (also Polks) make for a VERY neat and tidy install, and he has definitely gone the extra mile with regards to room treatment. Acoustic foam on the ceiling, walls, and in the corners all help take reflections, and make for a very well-controlled acoustic environment, which is important in a complex multi-channel system like this.

We agreed that the subs still need a little tweaking (placement, and also some adjustments on the SMS unit will fix this easily), but all in all, I was impressed.

And I have now come to the conclusion that a Sunfire Sub (or maybe 2) and a Velodyne SMS is a MUST-HAVE for my system, and will probably be my next upgrade, perhaps even before a new preamp. I definitely NEED that last few Htz of bass extension.

When we took the grills off the Polks, they really opened up. The soundstage was a little deeper, and the slight "forwardness" of these speakers was actually tamed down a little runnign with the drivers exposed. I'm not sure why it worked that way--perhaps something to do with early reflections from the wood frame of the tweeter grill, but anyway, they sounded open, clean and VERY detailed. I know some of you think I don't like Polks--this is simply not true. I LIKE Polks--always have--and in this system, they have the potential to really shine. Driven my an Outlaw 990 preamp and a Carver M-1.5t, these speakers have serious authority in the bass, and a nice clean voice in the mids.

Audio gear aside for a minute, the munchie spread that Nelson laid out was also very yummy. The hot wings were exceptional--just a little zingy at first, but they really could sneak up on you. I was halfway through the second wing when the heat hit me, and WOW. His hospitality was an added bonus to the afternoon! We just wished that more folks could have made it out today.

Special thanks to Nelson's family, who graciously let us have our "guy time" today, and really crank it up a few times. Having an understanding family in this hobby is a rare blessing, and on this point, Nelson is definitely blessed.

Now I'm thinking I might have to try and have a "Last-Ditch Listening Day" before I leave the area. Nelson said he was going to be out of town next weekend, but I'm seriously thinking of putting the Dreamer System up for public scrutiny next weekend... Let me think about it for a day or two...

Thanks Nelson. Great system, wonderful music, and yummy munchies! All in all, it was a very enjoyable way to spend a holiday afternoon.

--Richard

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”