I'm stumped!

Meetings / Gatherings
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

I'm stumped!

Post by treitz3 » Sun May 27, 2007 6:12 pm

Just got off the phone with Maddmaxxx and he asked me what the Kazzba was, and I was stumped. All I remember is it was a song, or something positive from the late 60's to mid 70's. My memory is failing me.

Could someone fill us in on the "Kazzba"? #-o
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Kahuna
TFM-45
Location: Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab

Post by Kahuna » Sun May 27, 2007 6:38 pm

I think it's Casbah. As in "Rock the Casbah".

"Rock the Casbah" is the title of a song by The Clash, and was released on their 1982 album Combat Rock. It was later released as a single, and is their only song to become a Top 10 hit in the United States, reaching #8 on the Billboard Hot 100.[1]

The song was inspired by the banning of rock music in Iran under Ayatollah Khomeini. The song gives a fabulist account of the ban being defied by the population who proceed to somewhat "rock the casbah", causing the King to order jet fighters to bomb any people in violation of the ban. The pilots ignore the orders, and instead play rock music on their cockpit radios.

The song does not mention Iran or any other Islamic nation. The lyrics include a mish-mash of Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, and North African terms such as sharif, bedouin, sheikh, kosher, raga, and casbah.

According to the album notes on the box set The Clash on Broadway, "Rock the Casbah" originated when the band's manager, after hearing them record an inordinately long track for the album, asked them facetiously "does everything have to be as long as this raga?" (referring to the Indian musical style known for its length and complexity). Joe Strummer later wrote the opening lines to the song: "The King told the boogie-men 'you have to let that raga drop'". The rest of the lyrics soon followed.

The song is one of the few in which drummer Topper Headon played a substantial role in the writing of the music beyond the percussion tracks. The instrumental opening was a tune he had written on the piano some time earlier, and had toyed with during rehearsals before being incorporated into the song. In the 2000 Documentary Westway to the World Headon played drums, bass, and piano on the record for the song. Headon claims that, while he thought he was merely playing the song for the band, his performances were, unbeknownst to him, recorded.[citation needed]

The Clash made low-budget music videos for several of their songs, and the one for "Rock the Casbah" may be their most memorable. Filmed in Austin, Texas, it depicts an Arab and an Hasidic Jew skanking together through the streets, often followed by an armadillo, interspersed with the band performing in front of an oil well. The humorous tone of the video fits the song, although it is easy to read the antics of the Arab and Jew as a desire for better relations between Israelis and Arabs. Many Muslims objected to the Arab man displaying a liquor bottle, as alcohol is forbidden in Islam. The video also features their first drummer Terry Chimes, because at the time of its release Headon was out of the band, due to his growing drug addiction.

The single version of the song features a mix different from the album version. The single version has more pronounced bass. Also when Joe Strummer screams "Of that crazy casbah jive" at the end of the third verse the word "jive" is sustained for a few seconds with a synthesized echo. The single version of the song is what is played in the music video.

The song became an unofficial anthem for U.S. forces during the first Gulf War largely on the basis of the line about dropping "bombs between the minarets". In fact, it was the first song played by Armed Forces Radio at the start of the war. This has been seen as highly ironic given the band's well established anti-war stance. Conservatives counter that it is entirely appropriate, as "rocking the casbah" (as with bombs) was seen as one of the objectives of the U.S. military effort.

In 2006, the conservative National Review released their list of the top 50 "Conservative Rock Songs", with "Rock the Casbah" at #20,[2] noting its frequent requests during the Iraq War, despite the fact that The Clash has a left-wing ideology. Despite, or perhaps because of, its popularity with soldiers during the Gulf War, "Rock the Casbah" was one of the songs deemed inappropriate by Clear Channel following the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Other versions of "Rock the Casbah" have been recorded by the Austin, Texas band One Bad Pig, on the 1992 album Blow the House Down; the Australian band Something for Kate; the band Solar Twins on the movie soundtrack for the 1999 film Brokedown Palace; the Algerian rock singer Rachid Taha (in Arabic) on his 2004 album Tékitoi; and the band Trust Company, on the 2005 album True Parallels. Will Smith's song "Will 2K" of the Willennium album samples "Rock the Casbah" both instrumentally and in some of the lyrics. Richard Cheese recorded a lounge cover of the song on his 2004 album I'd Like a Virgin.

"Rock the Casbah" also has a degree of notoriety for how often its lyrics are misunderstood [3], which is featured in a 2006 television commercial for Cingular. Two men download it to a phone, but confuse the lyrics ("The beets had some cataracts," "The sheep don't like it," "Lock the cashbox," and "Isn't it 'stop the catbox?'"). A number of people noted the similarity to the phrase "Lock The Taskbar" and this has been referenced in a "Youtube Video" and a site on YTMND which use images of the Windows interface.
"The only thing in this world that gives orders, is balls"

German engineering in the haus..........Jah!

I'm from the United States of KISS MY @$$

Handle every stressful situation like a dog: Piss on it and walk away..

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sun May 27, 2007 6:49 pm

From what I can come up with it's was either a Salon or Auditorium in Europe somewhere. #-o #-o #-o

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sun May 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Now that I thought about it for awhile I remember that song. I hated it when it first came out but then it grew on me and I wound up liking it.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:15 pm

All I remember from that era was "Ayatolla...Assahola" on bumper stickers throughout the neighborhood. I never knew. I was riding BMX bikes at the time. Twelve years old.

TXS for the knowledge! Kahuna. Are you gonna be known as the "sleeper" of posters!!! That was an excellent post!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 am

The Casbah (French) or as transliterated from Arabic Qasbah (from qasbah, قصبة, 'citadel') is specifically the citadel of Algiers and the traditional quarter clustered round it. More generally, kasbah denotes the walled citadel of many North African cities and towns. The word made its way into English from French in the late 19th century (the Oxford English Dictionary says 1895), hence its conventional English spelling. Etymologically rooted to Khaybar, an ancient city in present-day Saudi Arabia where the local Jewish population was famous for holding out against the spread of Islam. Khaybar was famous for its fortress and in ancient Hebrew means "fortress". Khaybar then became the generator for the name Khyber Pass connoting toughness and a fortress-like environment.

In Rabat, since 1912 the capital of Morocco, the Casbah of the Oudaya is the military barracks encircled by walls with gates, built in the 16th and 17th centuries on ancient foundations.

In popular culture
The 1938 movie Algiers (a remake of the French film Pépé le Moko of the previous year) was most Americans' introduction to the picturesque alleys and souks of the Casbah. In 1948 a musical remake, Casbah, was released.

The aforementioned movie was spoofed in The Cats Bah, a Looney Tunes cartoon in 1954 starring Pepé Le Pew, himself a spoof of Pépé le Moko. The amorous skunk often uses the phrase "Come with me to zee Casbah" as one of his pickup lines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/23/arts/ ... yt&emc=rss
Last edited by DaveS on Mon May 28, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 am

I ran across some of this on the web but I didn't think they were related.
Hum, Learn something every day. =D> =D>

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon May 28, 2007 10:14 am

DaveS: King of Wikipedia!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Re: I'm stumped!

Post by DaveS » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:40 pm

It`s really a place that is confinded where just about anything goes. Kinda like Greenach Villege. AND I SPELT IT FUNNY FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Made you look.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

basspig
TFM-6cb

Re:

Post by basspig » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:06 pm

treitz3 wrote:All I remember from that era was "Ayatolla...Assahola" on bumper stickers throughout the neighborhood. I never knew. I was riding BMX bikes at the time. Twelve years old.

TXS for the knowledge! Kahuna. Are you gonna be known as the "sleeper" of posters!!! That was an excellent post!
Somewhere around that time, perhaps a year or two later, the phrase "Where's the beef?" also became ubiquitous...
ahh, catch phrases and colloquialisms... so quaint, so American.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-

kingman

Re: Re:

Post by kingman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 pm

basspig wrote:
treitz3 wrote:All I remember from that era was "Ayatolla...Assahola" on bumper stickers throughout the neighborhood. I never knew. I was riding BMX bikes at the time. Twelve years old.

Somewhere around that time, perhaps a year or two later, the phrase "Where's the beef?" also became ubiquitous...
ahh, catch phrases and colloquialisms... so quaint, so American.
Somewhere around that time, perhaps a year or two later, the phrase "Where's the beef?"
...Clara Peller circa 1984... Now how would I know???? Hummmmm?????Image
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

nooshinjohn
SILVER-7t

Re: I'm stumped!

Post by nooshinjohn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 am

Attachments
the_more_you_know2.jpg
the_more_you_know2.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Triangle Art Reference SE prototype, with Walker Precision speed controller and Origin Conqueror tonearm and Dynaudio 20x2, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Oppo BDP-93

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”