Dreamer's Last-Ditch Listening Day--Maryland

Meetings / Gatherings
Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Dreamer's Last-Ditch Listening Day--Maryland

Post by Dreamer » Wed May 30, 2007 1:07 pm

OK. We;re doing the big move to Fayetteville the weekend of the 9th of June. So there isn't much time for all you Yankees to hear Dreamer's system...

--+--LAST DITCH LISTENING DAY--+--

Bring your favorite CDs or other digital sources. (The turntable is sort of out-of-commission at this point--my cartridge is shot...) If you have preferred drinks, bring them, but I'll have the usual sodas, tea/coffee and some beers, as well as a small spread of munchies.

Considering my schdule (and the step-daughters work schedule) I'm looking at either this Friday evening (1 June) starting at 7 or 8), that way it can run late if we want, or Sunday (3 June) maybe starting around 1pm. It all depends on everyone's schedules...

If there is enough interest, we'll do it. If not, then you'll have to drive to NC in a month or so to hear the new setup!

I live in a condo, so unfortunately grilling is not possible here (yet again, I fall short of DTB300! ;) ) But if we do a Sunday afternoon thing, I'll have a nice selection of munchies and maybe some little sandwiches or something.

So let me know if you're free, DC/Baltimore area people! I know its short notice, but it will be fun...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed May 30, 2007 1:22 pm

I am SO there! Either day works for me.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed May 30, 2007 4:33 pm

I've actually cross-posted this Meet on th eMartin Logan list, and there migh tbe one or two of those folks too, if this pans out.

It's looking more and more like Sunday is going to be the day. I've ordered a new outboard DAC (a Benchmark DAC1-USB) and it is suppsed to get here Fri or Sat, and I REALLY want it in the system for this meet. I also have a line on a used Sunfire True Jr. Subwoofer locally (Springfield VA) and I might be going to pick that up on Friday or Saturday...

So it looks like I'm pretty much decided on Sunday. I'm thinking Afternoon some time. Maybe start getting here around 2pm--that will give me time to clear things up a bit, make it all nice for guests... :doubt:

If it runs long and we get hungry, we can order pizza, or there's a pretty good Thai/Japanese place across the street that makes good sushi and GREAT noodles...

How does that sound?

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Wed May 30, 2007 4:58 pm

That Super Junior will amaze you, and most likely piss off your neighbors...Mine does a great job of both! \:D/
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed May 30, 2007 5:46 pm

One more thing:

We have cats. Three to be exact.

Hopefully that isn't an allergy issue for anyone...

--Richard

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Wed May 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Dreamer wrote:
It's looking more and more like Sunday is going to be the day......
--Richard
GRRRAAUUUGGGHH!!!

I'm working on Sunday! Awright dammit! I'll be on the clock, but I'll make a Herculean effort to be there, at least for a little bit.

Um...when and where exactly?

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed May 30, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm thinking to start around 2pm--that gives the church-going folk time to get home and still make it at a leisurely pace.

We can go as long as we want I think, but at 10pm, we need to quiet it down...

I'll PM all the attending people my street address and phone# on Saturday, so you can MapQuest it or call for directions. I live right behind Columbia Mall, so even if you'r enot familair with the area, it's easy to find--just a few turns off Rt 29.

We may have one or two Martin Logan folks too. Should be an interesting afternoon...

--Richard

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 pm

I will be in NYC over the weekend for some family obligations. If I escape... I mean, if I return early enough, I might swing by to meet some of the other forum members.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 pm

just received an email from a very dear friend reminding that she is having a gallery opening in Rockville from 1-4 on Sunday. Darn, forgot all about that one...

So how about this, if I shoft our start time on sunday to 6 or 7pm, would that work for y'all? If Sunday evening is not OK, I DO have Saturday afternoon free, but I do have somewhere to be by 8 or 9 Saturday evening. Also, I don't know if my new Benchmark DAC will be here by Saturday afternoon, so it may just be the "old style" Dreamer Rig, with the addition of the Krell...

Let me know which one works for you folks. I'd prefer the Sunday evening time, but I'm COMPLETELY flexible...

Sorry for the schedule change, but I REALLY should go to my friend's opening. She hasn't had a show in about 2 years, and this may be the last chance I get to go to one of her DC-area openings.

I especially apologize to "garcianc", because if we switch to Saturday, he can't make it (which is why I'l meaning more to Sunday evening...)

Lets get this nailed down.

--Richard

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Sunday evening is better for me as well.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 pm

My new Benchmark DAC arrived today (Friday), so it will be up and running in the stack, along with the new Krell pre...

I'm dong the "happy dance" today!

Man this DAC sounds good. I'm hearing things I've never heard before--and I don't just mean shades of detail, or a little more soundstage, I mean I'm hearing NOTES, bass slaps, drum stuff I've never heard before--or at least never heard it so distinctly that I noticed it. Man, is this Benchmark DETAILED!

Pricey, yeah, a little, but compared to the "audiophile" brands, this thing is a steal. And if you get it through a "pro gear" shop, like someon who caters to recording studios or broadcasters, you can get a pretty SERIOUS discount. I saved almost $300 buying it through a little studio supply shop here in MD...

If any of you Carver folk are thinking about upgrading your digital front-end but you already have a decent CD player, you should SERIOUSLY consider picking up one of these Benchmark DAC1 units.

Unfortunately they don't come up too often on EBAY or Audiogon. And there is a reason for that--I don't think I'll let this one go for a LONG time...

--Richard

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 pm

OK, let's do this.

Time: Sunday, June 3 2007, starting after 6pm

Place: Dreamer's House

Event: Last chance for DC/Baltimore area folks to hear Dreamer's system...

Things to Bring: your favorite CDs. I may have the turntable back online by Sunday, but I've got some vinyl to demo it with if it's a go...

I will provide munchies, maybe some sandwiches or something, and sodas and I'll have a few beers on hand too. If you have something you like to drink that is out of the ordinary, bring it.

PM me for directions and contact info.

--Richard

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:33 am

See you this evening! Is garcianc going to be able to make it?
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:25 am

Have a good time, guys. I have other commitments or I'd be there.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Well I'm tucked safely back at home after a 1.5 hour drive; I spent about 4 hours at Dreamer's place listening to everything from Diana Krall to Bela Fleck to an unusual French jazz group with an even more unusual name (help me out here, Rodney!)...

We were only three (Dreamer, weitrhino & myself) but we had a great time.

Richard produced a nice spread of treats & we had great conversations about a variety of topics, not the least of which was CARVER GEAR!

Richard has a very nice system; hearing the Martin Logan speakers for the first time was a real treat.

Thanks, Richard!!
Last edited by TNRabbit on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”