Dreamer's Last-Ditch Listening Day--Maryland

Meetings / Gatherings
Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Final Report for "Dreamers Last-Ditch Listening Day"

I know that this was pretty short notice, so I was happy that anyone showed up at all. I had a few responses from this list and from the Martin Logan list too, but the only folks who showed were Carver folks!

"TNRabbit" and "weitrhino" showed up. Unfortunately, nobody from the Martin Logan liswas able to make it.

However, expecting three or four people I bought some tasty munchies, and had the spread all layed out by the time "TNRabbit" arrived. He brought a backpack full of VERY interesting CDs, and although he had a few that I don't have, it was mostly artists I was familiar with. "weitrhino" showed up a little later, and had a very interesting jazz CD that I'd never heard of. (I always like being turned on to new music, and I find as I get older it's more and more difficult to "stump" me with music...)

Of course, I had to play some of my favorite "reference" tracks (Diana Krall's "Temptation", Pink Floyd's Comfortabley Numb" off the MFSL Gold discs, Jefferson Airplane's "Embryonic Journey" and some others)

We played all sorts of music--rock, jazz, acoustic--an had an intereting time discussing cables and various amps and speakers. TNRabbit noted that his ALS-III's sound a LOT like my Sequels, but the Sequels have a much wider "sweet spot", although the ALS-III's are perhaps a bit tighter in the low bass.

Even with the newly-found bass extension that my Krell has revealed in my Sequels, I still feel that I need a subwoofer (but everyone else seemed to think the Sequels were doing a pretty good job in the "thump" regions). We discussed some of my other opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of my current system, and I've come to the conclusion that I am probably my own toughest critic. But that's probably because I listen to it every day, and I know all the little quirks and weaknesses. We all agreed that the new DAC really lets the details come out on CDs, and we discussed various cables, and my experiments over the years...

So, thanks to TNRabbit and weitrhino for coming over. I had a good time showing off my gear, and enjoyed your music. I had a good time hearing your impressions of my system, and talking about Carver gear.

I wish that more folks could have made it out, but I understand that it was short notice. The new digs in NC are going to be a lot more roomy, and will hold a MUCH bigger group, and we will have a lot more space for entertaining, so hopefully sometme later this summer, I can have a "Listening Day" in Fayetteville for all the Carver (and ML) folks down there.

I cant wait to read TNRabbit and weithino's impressions... [-o<

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:29 am

Sorry I couldn't make it guys. I have been driving for the last three days.
Left New York yesterday at 3pm, hoping that I would make it back at around 7ish, but it took me 6 1/2 hours with the rain and traffic!!!

I'll try to make the next one. I promise. I'm glad everyone had a good time.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:17 am

Well, we're just glad you made it back safe & in one piece, Nelson! I'm thinking about hosting one in mid July possibly....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am

Please be sure to keep me posted on the local meets up here, guys. I'm going to be traveling back to the area every few months or so, and would love to hear some of your systems too!

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Well Dreamer, let me put it this way..........

You are a gracious host to invite strangers into your home, feed them, and let them critique a system you have obviously spent considerable time tweeking. But it was all good. As I had never heard any ML speakers before I was impressed with their clarity and transparency. Sorry, no goosebumps for me on the vocal stuff---I like guitars! Afterward I thought of a wide range of things I *should * have brought. Maybe next time.

You and Gary (TNRabbit) have humbled me with your knowledge, so mostly I just listened and absorbed. I love my Carver gear. Maybe one day I'll have a complete system worthy of returning the favor.

cheers, Rodney

Oh yeah............Gary bought a tractor.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:50 pm

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:58 pm

Dam Rabbit,
What are you going to do with all that tractor. Thats the size I had back in Michigan. I had approximately 4 acres to mow.
Wheres the freeken Radio ?

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:30 pm

That looks about the Size of my Cub Cadet....What is the size of the deck on that thing? I've got a 54"....The funny part is that we moved into a house with a smaller yard, so mowing takes about 5 minutes now...The house is bigger, but the plot is about the same size....I sometimes mow the neighbor's yard to let it stretch it's legs.... \:D/
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Ehhh, so it can mow. From the looks of that thing, can it do wheelies?

Glad you guys had a good time. Seems as if F1nut had a good time as well with his engagement. Listening to different rigs in their home environment, tweeked and all is, to me, THE best way to enhance your knowledge of this hobby. I'm glad for all of you! =D>
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 pm

This is the LAST mower I will ever buy ('cept for a push/trim mower).

I had a lower model (4513) which stayed with the ex. I decided to move up...!
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:30 pm

Funny thing is, I am in Mechanicsburg, PA at the moment. Want me to drive it back for you? I'd like to open her up on I-270 and see what she can do.

Seriously, if you need anything, I am here until Thursday. I am just a traveling fool...

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:54 pm

treitz3 wrote:Ehhh, so it can mow. From the looks of that thing, can it do wheelies?
I don't know about TNRabbit's, but the damn Cub flies around the yard, and I could mow the yard at the old place three or four times before I had to gas it up...I know for a fact a John Deere won't do it....My neighbor had one, and almost every time he mowed he was filling that mofo.....
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:33 am

Nelson: Are you driving a pickup?
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:55 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Nelson: Are you driving a pickup?
I sent you a PM.
Nelson

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”