Dreamers "Audio Open House" in NC...

Meetings / Gatherings
Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Dreamers "Audio Open House" in NC...

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:12 am

OK, the big move is this weekend. I've got all my equipment boxes out of storage and sitting in the living room, to pack tomorrow night (I guess it's going to be loading the truck to the tunes from a boom box this weekend).

We'll hit Fayetteville sometime Sunday night, and unpack Monday and Tuesday. Working with this schdedule, I should have tune-age by sometime Wednesday afternoon, but even with my substantial experience of moving and setting up my system, I'm planning on giving it at least a week of tweeking to get everyting really "dialed in" to a listenable level in the new place. I've never really had a room this big to play with, so it's going to be a fun excercise I'm certain...

Anyway, I'm thinking that sometime around the end of June, a Saturday Cook-Out & Audio Fest migh tbe in order, to sort of introduce the Dreamer Rack to the fine Carver folk of the Tarheel state... :)

Grilled brats, german potato salad, some sort of BBQ, and quality libations are what I'm thinking for feeding y'all. (maybe THAT sort of fare will entice more people to show up!). And there are several Martin Logan folks in that area too, so I think if I give several weeks notice, and the bribe of brats and beer, I might have a pretty decent party on my hands. \:D/

So is Saturday, 23 June or Sat. 30 June going to be good for any of you folks down there? If I do this on the 23rd, I know I'll have to make it an afternoon thing, because we already have obligations for that evening.

Let me know if either of these days is good. If not, we'll shoot for something in July (the 14th is good for me), and by then I should have this sytem super-tweeked ad sounding schweeet. But I'm NOT bringing the Sequels to CarverFest. The Oppo, the Benchmark, MAYBE the Krell, but the Sequels just don't really travel easily... :-k

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Re: Dreamers "Audio Open House" in NC...

Post by weitrhino » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:04 am

Dreamer wrote:...............Grilled brats, german potato salad, some sort of BBQ, and quality libations are what I'm thinking for feeding y'all. (maybe THAT sort of fare will entice more people to show up!).
What was wrong the the bag of pretzels poured into a plastic bowl??!? =D>

All kidding aside folks, Dreamer threw down the food, just nobody was there to eat it.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am

The shrimp was EXCELLENT. I think I put a pretty good dent in the food; I didn't want to look like a greedy pig (or rabbit, for that matter)!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Re: Dreamers "Audio Open House" in NC...

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:44 am

weitrhino wrote: What was wrong the the bag of pretzels poured into a plastic bowl??!? =D>
Actually, that was a ceramic bowl... =P~

And the good thing about all the left-overs is that I have been getting my serious much on for the last 2 days. I'm planning on a shrimp and mushroom omlet for dinner with those leftovers, in fact... :D

I know you're just joking. The spread WAS sort of thrown together and presentation wasn't up to my normal standards, but I didn't figure y'all would be too offended if I left the potato salad in it's original plastic container...

Next time, the food will be pretty much guaranteed to knock your socks off! And hopefully the sound of my system will do the same!

--Dreamer
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:14 am

The move is officially DONE. We took the truck back last night (with an hour to spare!) and started unpacking things last night. I've got most of the audio gear unboxed and on shelves, but the Martin Logans are still in their boxes, due to the fact that our kitten has become a "climber". so until I can figure out a solution to keeping him away from them (or he gets de-clawed, which is going to happen VERY soon anyway, when he gets "snipped"), the Sequels are going to remain safely tucked away...

In the meantime, I'm listening to the Celestions, which are placed on a shelf out of the reach of our spider-monkey-like kitten. They sound VERY nice driven directly by the Krell, but I'm probably going to hook them up to the M-500t tonight, and throw the H-9AV into the loop too.

MUST...HAVE...SONIC...HOLOGRAPHY....!!!

Now comes the long process of getting everything unpacked and put in it's proper place. Hopefully we can get everything all set up and put away and tidy in a week or two.

We're planning to go to the National Hollerin' Contest in Spivey's Corner this weekend (I hear about it every year on the radio, and on CNN, and have always wanted to go) as it's only about 30 minutes away from here, and I hear they have some great BBQ there. It will be a really interesting (or really annoying?!?) intro to the local culture, I'm sure...

I'll keep y'all updated on the progress, and I'll be posting pics on my website of the process. We have to get a new TV because we left the big TV with the daughters in MD, so all we have now is a little 19" unit, an dit's killing us. And I need a decent gas grill too. So there are some serious purchases in the future, but once we get everything squared away, I'll send out a general invite to all you folks to come over, grill a few brats, and listen to some tunes!

Now it't time to get back to the "honey-do" list...

--Richard

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:46 am

For the reading impaired, here's a visual summary of Dreamer's post:

Congrats on the move Dreamer.

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:26 pm

garcianc wrote:For the reading impaired, here's a visual summary of Dreamer's post:

Congrats on the move Dreamer.
You left a couple out....hahahaha

You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:11 pm

You can clip the kitten's claws back to just outside the pink area (the quick) and he won't be able to hang on. Use a regular pair of fingernail clippers.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:09 pm

My cure for speaker climbing kittens was cheap, quick and effective. Came nicely packaged in a red plastic tube with a nice brass base too.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 am

skip wrote:My cure for speaker climbing kittens was cheap, quick and effective. Came nicely packaged in a red plastic tube with a nice brass base too.

Was that the .410, 20ga, or 12ga version of "kitty repellant"?...

No, birdshot and electrostatic panels are probably not a good combination, although I have been tempted to take him on a trip to " a farm" out along I-95. :evil:

--Richard

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:29 am

Red shells are 12 ga. I am enough of a humanitarian to use an efficient load for the job. Too much chance of an escape with .410 or 20 ga. A minimum of #6 shot is also recommended. Buckshot at 5' is good if you don't want to have to deal with the remains. It isn't recommended to administer the cure while the offending party is in the act. Unless of course you are hard bitten by the upgrade bug and have a spare set of speakers to tide you over until the new equipment arrives.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:09 am

Skip, it's been said before........you just ain't right! :p
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:20 am

Hmmm... that reminds me of THIS "Carver fest"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZOKGeOlIY

Not that I am advocating cruelty to interior latex paint.

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:16 am

Poor paint. O:)

George

Post by George » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:40 pm

One of the "mature" pilots in my squadron enjoyed blowing stuff up and videotaping it. Around 1995 he decided to blow up a clothes dryer with an ungodly amount of explosive. I don't know how far away he really was, but immediately after the blast, an object was frisbeed at the speed of heat, right over the camera. It was the dryer door. He doesn't do that shit anymore.

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”