Southern MD get-together?

Meetings / Gatherings
Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:52 am

OBI56 wrote:So, I'm back to looking for a REPUTABLE manufacturer of higher end cables to try this again. Any suggestions?
First I want to apologise for hijacking this thread, but I feel that this MUST be addresses out in public, not as a a PM ao that other folks get this info...

Have you tried CALLING the folks at White Zombie to get it replaced? I've had them make me several custom cables, and had them ship stuff "emergency" fast, and they are ALWAYS very helpful, polite, and seem to go the extra mile for me whenever I contact them.

I'm sorry you had a bum cable--but truth be told you are the first person I've EVER heard of that got a defective cable from WZA. I know about dozen people who have bought perhaps a total of severl thousands of $$ of cables from WZA, and I've NEVER hear of one that was messed up "right out of the box". Call them dude--This is a VERY small operation, producing a high-end boutique produt--they are NOT Circuit City or Best Buys--some mega operation that will sell you crap then leave you hanging. WZA bases it's entire business on word-of-mouth advertizing--believe me, they will probably do everything they can to make things right with you.

But before you get replacements, remember, the WZA cables use solid silver conductors--they are not NEARLY as flexible as standard copper cables, and they will not take kindly to being bend hard at the connector either, so give your cables plenty of room behind your components to loop around gracefully.

But really, give Tom a call at White Zombie. Tell him y that you want to resolve this problem, and I am sure he will do you right. Oh, and be sure to let him know you are on the Carver forum, and feel free to drop my name as someone who suggested their cables. Once he knows you are potentially part of the "word of mouth" network, I'm sure he will expedite your situation, and get things set right...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Dreamer wrote:
OBI56 wrote:So, I'm back to looking for a REPUTABLE manufacturer of higher end cables to try this again. Any suggestions?
First I want to apologise for hijacking this thread, but I feel that this MUST be addresses out in public, not as a a PM ao that other folks get this info...

Have you tried CALLING the folks at White Zombie to get it replaced? I've had them make me several custom cables, and had them ship stuff "emergency" fast, and they are ALWAYS very helpful, polite, and seem to go the extra mile for me whenever I contact them.

I'm sorry you had a bum cable--but truth be told you are the first person I've EVER heard of that got a defective cable from WZA. I know about dozen people who have bought perhaps a total of severl thousands of $$ of cables from WZA, and I've NEVER hear of one that was messed up "right out of the box". Call them dude--This is a VERY small operation, producing a high-end boutique produt--they are NOT Circuit City or Best Buys--some mega operation that will sell you crap then leave you hanging. WZA bases it's entire business on word-of-mouth advertizing--believe me, they will probably do everything they can to make things right with you.

But before you get replacements, remember, the WZA cables use solid silver conductors--they are not NEARLY as flexible as standard copper cables, and they will not take kindly to being bend hard at the connector either, so give your cables plenty of room behind your components to loop around gracefully.

But really, give Tom a call at White Zombie. Tell him y that you want to resolve this problem, and I am sure he will do you right. Oh, and be sure to let him know you are on the Carver forum, and feel free to drop my name as someone who suggested their cables. Once he knows you are potentially part of the "word of mouth" network, I'm sure he will expedite your situation, and get things set right...

--Richard
Hi Richard,

I bought my cable from a dealer on eBay, not directly from WZA, so my contacts have been only with this third party. They have agreed to exchange the cable, but not refund it as their policy (as is usual on eBay) is that all sales are final. I should have dealt with WZA directly.

I now have serious doubts about this particular cable (which I paid $135 for BTW) being genuine as I can't seem to find any markings of any kind on it and it did arrive in a plain clear plastic bag. Are there any distictive markings that I should be looking for on the calbe before I send it back tonight?

I tend to be forgiving of mistakes if I have had previous good experiences with a particular product, but never when I get something defective on the very first time around.

If the new cable, when it arrives, is up to snuff, then I will retract my negative comments about WZA, but I will still remain very leery about doing business with this particular vendor.

I was definitely a bit too quick to condemn WZA and have no excuse except that I was really pissed at having problems with a highly regarded product.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:23 pm

OBI56,

I didn't realise that anyone was selling WZA cables on EBAY except for the company itself. I've bought all my cables from them through EBAY (except for the digital IC that I called and had them custom make for me), and I've never had a problem.

All WZA cables use "LOC" locking RCA connectors (except the balanced ones, and I think they use Neutrik XLR connectors). They also have shrink tubing at the ends (coming out of the connectors) that is stenciled with the WZA logo, and the model name of the cable, usually in gold or black ink. Some of their cables also have a bit of shrink tubing in the center of the cable stenciled similarly.

As far as packaging, they actually DO send them to you in a plastic zip-lock baggie. But all the cables I've received have been packaged with an adhesive label on the bag with the WZA logo, an the connectors have been wrapped in red felt to keep them from being scratched in transit. Their packaging is sort of "homebrew", but it keeps costs down, and it's as nice as can be expected for the price I suppose.

If the cables you bought didn't have the logos, they are probably NOT genuine, unless they are some sort of prototype. Tom is always changing and improving his cables, an sometimes he sells prototypes to his "regular" customers.

Sorry, it sounds like you got "fakes" of some sort. Hell, they may not even have solver conductors. If you ever get a chance to hear REAL cables from WZA, I guarantee you'll be amazed.

And remember, that other brands that DO make silver conductor cables (Kimber, Siltec, Transparent, Crystal) are REALLY freaking expenive--about 4 or 5 times what WZA charges. So if you get the "real thing", you are getting a fantastic deal indeed.

Maybe you should post some pics of your cables, so those of us who own the real thing can see what they look like. I'll try and post some pics of my cables soon, for a reference. If what you have turn out to be counterfeit cables, you should contact WZA and let them know the EBAY user name of the cat who sold them to you. Maybe they can do something about getting him shut down.

Good luck...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, what I have in front of me here doesn't look anything like you describe. They are almost twice as big around as my Monster Cables but clear. You can clearly see the silver braided shields under the jacket. No writing at all on the actual cable (looked with my big magnifying glass under a powerful light and the gold plated connectors are covered with a chromed shell and have molded strain reliefs. The actual connectors do not seem to have any kind of locking mechanism.

Upon very close inspection, it is obvious that these are machine made and not hand assembled. The packaging had no markings and was heat sealed and the connectors had small plastic bags with elastics to protect them.

So, I have to conclude that these are obviously NOT real WZAs and that I have been duped. No wonder the vendor didn't want me to contact WZA directly and let them deal with it. I remember that this was his only pair at the time because I had asked if he had a second pair that I could buy and he didn't.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them to my server so you can see them.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm

OK, Here we are. These are pics of the cables I have in most of my system, the "Cuervo Carmesa", which are actually a discontinued model. They are essentially the same as the "La Cacanya Cables" they sell now--a foil-shielded, tri-litz braided silver cable with silver LOC locking RCAs. (oh BTW, the "LEFT CHANNEL" labels hanging off my cables are NOT stock--I am just VERY anal about my cabling...)

Most of the cables he makes now have black or gray-silver jackets, except for the "Zero Point Zero" cables which have no shielding or jacket at all, and even these are VERY clearly marked with the brand logo, as you will see in the pics below.

Here are a few pics of my "Zero Point Zero" balanced cables that run from the Benchmark DAC to the Krell preamp:

Please post pics of yours. I'd love to see what you have. In the meantime, go to their website and take a look at their pictures, and you'll see what their other cables look like...

White Zombie Audio

--Richard

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 pm

OK, back to the ORIGINAL theme of this thread, the upcoming Maryland Carver Listening Day!!!

As it turns out, my sweetie is working this weekend, so I we've got nothing planned, which means I am free to travel! So lets get this thing hashed out, and I'll be there Saturday afternoon with bells on (and a car-load of gear and tweaks!)... :D

--Richard

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Just kill me now you guys ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:58 pm

OK, the cable looks almost identical to the one in your first picture, but the connectors are completely differnet and definitely much cheaper. Also, my cable is a double cable except for the last foot et each end where it is split off. Not having looked at the White Zombie website, I had nothing to compare what I recieved with and never bothered to even look. As I said earlier, I'll be posting pics tonight when I have access to my server.

Funny thing is that the 1 channel that does work does sound significantly clearer and more detailled than the Monster Cables I already have. And a quick multimeter test doesn't show any signs of a short circuit or any difference in resistance between the 2 channels, so I'm puzzled at what is wrong with the cable.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:59 pm

weitrhino wrote:Just kill me now you guys ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
BANG!!!!!

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Sorry "weitrhino". I'll take the rest of this thread off-list, into PMs...

So how about some chatter on the upcoming Maryland Carver Day?

--Richard

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:17 pm

weitrhino wrote:Just kill me now you guys ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I'll blow the horn on my way by and razzberry you....

O:)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Dreamer wrote:OK, back to the ORIGINAL theme of this thread, the upcoming Maryland Carver Listening Day!!!

As it turns out, my sweetie is working this weekend, so I we've got nothing planned, which means I am free to travel! So lets get this thing hashed out, and I'll be there Saturday afternoon with bells on (and a car-load of gear and tweaks!)... :D

--Richard

Richard: Mike said earlier in the thread he didn't have easy access to do any equipment swapping this time around; maybe later. Don't put too much effort into transporting stuff. I'm bringing a few CDs only.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:15 am

Oh, I missed that part...

OK. I'll just bring some CDs, and maybe a pair of cables or something...

If someone can just PM me an address, I'll just mapQuest it or something. I used to live in Columbia MD, so I sort of know Ellicott City--shouldn't be too hard to find...

--Richard

BlueMDPicker

Post by BlueMDPicker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:57 am

PM sent.

BTW - I don't have SACD capabilities. I've never gotten into that, and probably never will. I can handle CD, HDCD, LP, Reel-to-Reel, and cassette though.
Last edited by BlueMDPicker on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carver 2CH: Rega Planet 2000 CDP | Schiit Gungir DAC | MMF-5SE | Seduction Phono | Lightstar Direct preamp | Lightstar Reference amp| Polk Audio SDA 2b Studio with crossover upgrades
Tube 2CH: Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP | Dynaco ST-70 | DCM 75+75 | Joule Electra LA-100Mk III | Marchand XM44 Xover | Innersound Isis MK3.5 Hybrid ESL Speakers
Main 2CH: Wadia 301 | PS Audio Digital Link III with Cullen Level IV mods | PS Audio GCPH | Bluenote Bellavista turntable with Dynavector 20X | PS Audio GCP-200 | Innersound Active Crossover/Bass Amp | Sanders Sound ESL Amp | Innersound Eros MK III Hybrid ESL Speakers
HT: Panasonic 58" plasma | Yamaha Aventage RX-A1050 | Revel LE-1 | Revel Ultima Gems and center | Revel Sub-15

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 am

Dreamer wrote:Sorry "weitrhino". I'll take the rest of this thread off-list, into PMs...

So how about some chatter on the upcoming Maryland Carver Day?

--Richard
I think Rodney was referring to the fact he won't be able to come to Jan '08 MCD....?? O:)

And please don't take this to PMs; it's good info and everyone needs to be aware that there may be an impostor on eBay and what to look for. You might want to let WZ know....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”