Lightstar Listening Session, MD - 1/12/08

Meetings / Gatherings
tfm75
SILVER-7t

Post by tfm75 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Man Rabbit my TFM-75 weighs 47 lbs and it's on top of my shelf and just this morning I went to turn it around to get to the back and it nearly smashed my finger.

That Lightstar must realy be a beast. By the way it looks like you guys had a great time. Those cables feeding the system make mine look shamefull =D>

Anyways glad you guys, got to get together.
Maybe I can do the same out on the west coast with the guys out here \:D/

BlueMDPicker

Post by BlueMDPicker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:34 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Incidentally, I learned another interesting tidbit while there; the original Lightstar amp weighs 98 (Yes, NINETY-EIGHT!) pounds!! DAMN!

Ask Mike how he squeezed it into his (very nice) rack....
I looked it up this morning Gary, and 98 lbs. was the shipping weight for the amp and preamp combined. I guess that figure stuck in my head. The amp's actual weight is a diminutive 72 lbs. O:) and the pre 16 lbs. Sorry for the misinformation. At 72 lbs. it was quite a chore to "install" in the Redline rack single-handidly.

It's actually kind of girly gear compared to the manly LE-1 amp in the other system :lol: :

MSRP $6,000.00 (USD)
Solid State
Power output at least 725W
Inputs Left and Right Balanced XLR and an Unbalanced (RCA)
Dimensions 17''W x 7''H x 21''D
Weight 103 lbs.
Number of channels (1 or 2)
Last edited by BlueMDPicker on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carver 2CH: Rega Planet 2000 CDP | Schiit Gungir DAC | MMF-5SE | Seduction Phono | Lightstar Direct preamp | Lightstar Reference amp| Polk Audio SDA 2b Studio with crossover upgrades
Tube 2CH: Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP | Dynaco ST-70 | DCM 75+75 | Joule Electra LA-100Mk III | Marchand XM44 Xover | Innersound Isis MK3.5 Hybrid ESL Speakers
Main 2CH: Wadia 301 | PS Audio Digital Link III with Cullen Level IV mods | PS Audio GCPH | Bluenote Bellavista turntable with Dynavector 20X | PS Audio GCP-200 | Innersound Active Crossover/Bass Amp | Sanders Sound ESL Amp | Innersound Eros MK III Hybrid ESL Speakers
HT: Panasonic 58" plasma | Yamaha Aventage RX-A1050 | Revel LE-1 | Revel Ultima Gems and center | Revel Sub-15

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:37 pm

When I received my LS amp, the UPS lable said 81 pounds... It's a damn BRICK for sure.
Last edited by Toy Maker on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 pm

-thanx so much, for posting pics and sharing thoughts[rabbit i did'nt construe you as being negative]

-fantabulous [rig/s]=P~

-I AM JEALOUS...WOW :-#
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

BlueMDPicker

Post by BlueMDPicker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:12 am

Follow-up on the R2R issue:

I completely disassembled the Akai deck this morning to find there are no belts whatsover (a good thing in my book.) I then took the chassis to the garage and hit everything really well with the spray nozzle for my air compressor, lubed any contacts I could find with Caig, and it works! Whew! I really like the sound of this deck and was agonizing over getting it repaired or making a landfill deposit out of it.

Okay, we're ready to hear Miles Davis live in San Francisco now. \:D/

Edit: Listening to it now. It's truly astonishing musical reproduction.
Last edited by BlueMDPicker on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carver 2CH: Rega Planet 2000 CDP | Schiit Gungir DAC | MMF-5SE | Seduction Phono | Lightstar Direct preamp | Lightstar Reference amp| Polk Audio SDA 2b Studio with crossover upgrades
Tube 2CH: Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP | Dynaco ST-70 | DCM 75+75 | Joule Electra LA-100Mk III | Marchand XM44 Xover | Innersound Isis MK3.5 Hybrid ESL Speakers
Main 2CH: Wadia 301 | PS Audio Digital Link III with Cullen Level IV mods | PS Audio GCPH | Bluenote Bellavista turntable with Dynavector 20X | PS Audio GCP-200 | Innersound Active Crossover/Bass Amp | Sanders Sound ESL Amp | Innersound Eros MK III Hybrid ESL Speakers
HT: Panasonic 58" plasma | Yamaha Aventage RX-A1050 | Revel LE-1 | Revel Ultima Gems and center | Revel Sub-15

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 am

D@mn! Don't know when I'll be able to make it back up there....when was Richard going to be up? O:)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

BlueMDPicker

Post by BlueMDPicker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 am

I believe it was Feb. 2-3.

BTW - I have the same performance by Miles on LP. No comparison. You are there with this 7.5 ips tape.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:03 am

FYI Mike: this is my current 2-channel setup:

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Looks like you got all that stuffed in the bathroom !?!? [-X

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Mike/Gary - was that active crossover an Marchand? If so - they are very nice.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

BlueMDPicker

Post by BlueMDPicker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Yep, it's a Marchand XM44 which was custom built to parameters supplied by the speaker designer, Roger Sanders.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Looks like you got all that stuffed in the bathroom !?!? [-X
Pretty much; it's an 11'x11' bedroom.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:43 pm

TNRabbit wrote:D@mn! Don't know when I'll be able to make it back up there....when was Richard going to be up? O:)
Yes, I'll be in Columbia the weekend of Feb 2-3, and we were thinking I could visit BlueMDPicker on Sunday the 3rd...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Richard, after hearing both your sets & Mike's electrostats, I've realized they sound MUCH better as you get further away from them. Something is missing if you're too close, regardless of how close together the speakers are...interesting....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:05 pm

TNRabbit,

And this is probably more pronounced with the Innersounds, because they are flar-panel electrostatics. The one big difference between ML's and most other ESL's are that the Martin Logans have curved panels, giving them a slightly wider dispersion, and a slightly wider "sweet spot". But yeah, ALL electrostatics sound better in BIG rooms, with the listening position well back from the speakers.

My setup would sound better if I moved the couch back another 3 or 4 feet, but that would put the seating a little too far back from the TV for me...

ELS need big rooms to sound good--even the smaller ones like the Innersounds and my Sequels. Those REALLY big ML's--the Monoliths, the Prodigy, and the flagship Statement e2 need a room about two or three times the size of my media room to sound their best.

There is no such thing as a great-sounding apartment rig with electrostatic speakers, and most modest-sized homes don't even have rooms big enough to let them really sing...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Return to “Mini Fests / Get Togethers”