IKEA CD/DVD MEDIA RACK

Not sure where to post your Carver topic... Try here.
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

IKEA CD/DVD MEDIA RACK

Post by treitz3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:21 pm

I can't believe I'm actually posting about an audio rack but I just thought I'd let you fine folks here at the Carver forum know what kind of CD rack I have acquired. I had heard about it and saw a photo of it years ago but I was determined to find something better that could grow along with my selection. Well, years later and I haven't really come across anything that would match the house, blend with the other furniture, would provide easy and convenient access to my CD's, one that was easy to dust, looks contemporary and one that puts the CD's at eye level as I'm tired of getting down on the floor to browse through hundreds of CD's. I'm too old for that shit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... %253D%253D

I currently have 10 of them and I will be getting more. Each section of one rack [4 sections per] holds 19 CD's. They do not fit tightly and are easily taken in and out. I have mine mounted right below a light and all 300+ CD's are easily read . Finding a particular CD is a breeze now. I know, I know. I could alphabetize them or categorize them by genre or something but I've never really cared for doing that. I'm more of a grab and play kinda guy and while I may be searching for a particular CD, it's always a pleasure to grab another one to make you completely forget about what you wanted to listen too in the first place.

At 6 dollars a rack, you can tell I didn't spend much and I currently have enough space to hold over 760 CD's. I'll be getting another 5 to 8 racks so that if they are ever discontinued, I won't have to start all over again to find something that matches and can hold all of my CD's, and grow as my CD collection grows. I do believe, with tax, it came to less than 77 bucks for the ten I've got. That's pretty damned cheap. Plus, if your wife doesn't like the color? You can easily paint it whatever color it is out there that would shut her up.

The best part came after the install. The way it actually looks, installed. Wasn't quite expecting what I have now. I installed them right on top of each other, with about a 1/4" in between each rack. Looks fantastic! It also allowed us to get rid of the other CD rack I had that took up floor space. The end result is a cleaner and more modern look, ease of finding a CD and more floor space.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: IKEA CD/DVD MEDIA RACK

Post by OconeeOrange » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 pm

That is just excellent.

It is way too "gay" for my decor, but what the hell --

dyeraudio
TFM-75

Post by dyeraudio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 am

Nice Tom......since I have acquired around 700 CD's and no real place to put them.....here is what I opted to do......this aluminum DJ case which includes a clear sleeve with soft protective insert for the disc. The liner notes from the jewel box slides in front and the CD behind the soft insert. Then I got those alphabetical inserts like you see in music stores to alphabetize them....Kinda of "industrial" but if I wanted to bring 700 CD's to Carverfest '12 it would be pretty easy....the only thing missing is the bulky plastic jewel box.....not to take away from your thread Tom...IKEA does have some pretty cool stuff...on the cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-510-CD-DVD ... 5d2d6d001d
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 am

I kinda like that case option. Been looking for an alternative to my rack to make space for the sub...Hmmmmmmm.... :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 am

=; Pics or it didn't happen~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

dyeraudio
TFM-75

Post by dyeraudio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am

TNRabbit wrote:=; Pics or it didn't happen~
Now hush Rabbit..... :lol: :lol: :lol: hey maybe this weekend you'll have enough guys over to help you move that big ass pool table and improve your soundstage.....hehehehe....sorry Rabbit......cheap shot....... :D....sorry for the shitty Blackberry picture.... :x...thats NOT where it stays but I had to prove it was actually mine....... :D
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm

dyeraudio wrote:....hehehehe....sorry Rabbit......cheap shot....... :D
Hehe, he's earned it. :-"

Alright, I rec'd a PM tonight and the only way to explain it is to post a damn picture. Jeez, you guys are a rough crowd.........

Bunch a' pansy asses..... #-o
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 am

dyeraudio wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:=; Pics or it didn't happen~
Now hush Rabbit..... :lol: :lol: :lol: hey maybe this weekend you'll have enough guys over to help you move that big ass pool table and improve your soundstage.....hehehehe....sorry Rabbit......cheap shot....... :D....sorry for the shitty Blackberry picture.... :x...thats NOT where it stays but I had to prove it was actually mine....... :D

I was talking to Tom....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Finally found time to post the pic's

Post by treitz3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Here you go, Gary....

dyeraudio
TFM-75

Post by dyeraudio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Very nice and clean Tom...... =D> =D> =D>

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Nice racks Tom.... They still take up quite allot of room.
Maybe one of these days you'll upgrade :lol:

Our media rack:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Convenience equals compromise.

Post by treitz3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

No thanks. Can you play SACD's out of one of those? Eh, I didn't think so..... :-"

:D

*jab, jab*

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Convenience equals compromise.

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:36 am

treitz3 wrote:No thanks. Can you play SACD's out of one of those? Eh, I didn't think so..... :-"

*jab, jab*
Actually, I think there IS software that will play DVD-A, SACD, and BluRay music.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Re: Convenience equals compromise.

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 am

TNRabbit wrote:
treitz3 wrote:No thanks. Can you play SACD's out of one of those? Eh, I didn't think so..... :-"

*jab, jab*
Actually, I think there IS software that will play DVD-A, SACD, and BluRay music.
NA NA NuNaNa :lol:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Seriously? Well, hell, bring it to CF if you can. If the DAC isn't up to par, we'll get one that will bring it up to snuff. It would be cool if that would rival or beat the low-life Denon 2910 SACD player I have. Damn, now I'm curious.... :-k

Return to “Misc. Discussions”