Airshow

Not sure where to post your Carver topic... Try here.
radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Airshow

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:59 pm

The one thing that I can think of that's a good for a man's soul and well being as a good fire....

An Airshow!!

This is a two day event at the airport here.

The last airshow here was just before 9/11.

Based from this airport here are the giant big old planes that go around the world refueling military aircraft. I see those big ol' giants, straining up and away here all the time...on there way who knows where with up to 32,000 gallons of fuel on board. Pretty cool stuff those big birds. But you also can't help but go crazy when these nimble little jets go streaking past...

But the big draw of the show....(Day 1 yesterday drew about a 100,000 they said) was the Blue Angels!

What a sight! The ground crew marching out in file after a simultaneous salute. The cockpits all coming down together. The precision in every aspect. Just a wow...

I'm setting at home this afternoon, about 4-5 miles from the airport with occasional roar of jet engines thundering even here!

But give the older guys there due...they were really pretty cool too!

The days setting couldn't have more beautiful. Warm, sunny blue skies and the roar of high performance engines all again the backdrop of the Smoky Mountains. Oh...and the scream of the jet engine too!

As a functioning passenger airport, they had to at times pause for regular air traffic to come and go.

I'll bet there was more than one lumbering midsized Delta jet pilot with 122 on board....looking over, saying "I could do one of those too!" 8)

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Airshow

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Speaking of fire...I love a good fire. But not when it's aimed at part of business! As in NOT a forest fire!

We're kinda dry right now around here. Often, this is the case in the fall but not usually in the spring.

This afternoon, fire broke out at a residence above Sevierville and has spread to being a forest fire. At this point, about 5 hours in, they say five homes have burnt to the ground. About 150 acres have burned. The road to my transmitter site is closed off. I couldn't get there if I needed to. The forestery folks have gotten a plane involved and I see video of them dropping fire retardant around a batch of homes part way up I usually drive past. The 10 homes around the top, where my site is, have all been evacuated. 13 departments involved at this point.

In pictures posted this afternoon on some tweeterbook people out there, you can see the towers hanging right over the fire area. [-o<

These are anxious moments waiting for the skimpy information I can get ahold of. Nothing I can go there and do. To top it off, there is also a report over to the east another county or so, another fire has broken out. Started on the NC side and has spread to the TN side.

We almost got burned out up there about a half dozen years ago. I hope that will remain the closest call.... 8-[

Mark
Last edited by radioeng2 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Here's a picture not too long after it was reported...

I sure hope the Titanic exhibit being in the foreground isn't an omen.... :shock:

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:24 pm

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Well, not quite an all clear but they're now reporting that the fire is 100% contained. Between calm conditions, drops from helicopter and airplane, it didn't get worse. Whew...

I'll have to go and see if I can get up the road tomorrow. See if power was cut off or is still off. How much my generators have run. That's another thing that has happened before, cut off power over the risk of poles burning down. Go see just how close it was.

Mark

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Neat pictures Mark. Thanks for sharing.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Had the fire problem twice, would be happy never to have it again.

About 10-12 years ago neighbor burned about 20 acres of us when the idiot decided to burn brush on a windy day. Came close to the house.

Then 2 years ago was part of a 1000+ acre fire. Came 1 ridge or about 150 yards from the house. Some MFN little pick was going around starting them. Turned out to be some firechief's son.

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Mark, the biggest airshow in the country is about 25 miles from us every year!! EAA is in oshkosh every year for a week! we went one year & enjoyed it. people from around the world come to oshkosh every year for it!! 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Mark, the biggest airshow in the country is about 25 miles from us every year!! EAA is in oshkosh every year for a week! we went one year & enjoyed it. people from around the world come to oshkosh every year for it!! 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

nooshinjohn
SILVER-7t

Post by nooshinjohn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:40 pm

The last airshow I went to had an F22 Raptor flying before the Thunderbirds came and did their thing. People were packing up and leaving after the Raptor landed. Before the T-birds got wheels up, half the crowd was gone or leaving.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Triangle Art Reference SE prototype, with Walker Precision speed controller and Origin Conqueror tonearm and Dynaudio 20x2, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Oppo BDP-93

Return to “Misc. Discussions”