Last Second Bidders

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

audioassassin77
TFM-45

Post by audioassassin77 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:12 pm

i dont know that i would feel safe giving my account password out to auctionsniper.com. anyone else use this?
.....a VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER.

I am slowly going CRAZY 123456 switch..CRAZY going slowly am I 654321 switch.

Kahuna
TFM-45
Location: Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab

Post by Kahuna » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:21 pm

audioassassin77 wrote:i dont know that i would feel safe giving my account password out to auctionsniper.com. anyone else use this?
I don't use them, but I have used **Deleted** for a few years now with great success. (No worries about giving them my acct. password). ;)
Last edited by Kahuna on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing in this world that gives orders, is balls"

German engineering in the haus..........Jah!

I'm from the United States of KISS MY @$$

Handle every stressful situation like a dog: Piss on it and walk away..

bob p
SILVER-7t

Post by bob p » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:47 pm

i share Kahuna's concerns about giving automated bidding outfits access to my eBay account. I won't do it under any circumstances.

I typically only used eBay once a year to sell extra Indy 500 tickets. While I was not using the account somebody cracked my password. It was a strong alphanumeric password, but they used a brute-force password cracking method, and they had plenty of time to crack the password without being detected. While my back was turned there were all sorts of auctions going on under my User ID, all without my knowledge. People won auctions and never received merchandise they had paid for. It was a horrible mess.

When I went back to eBay a year later my account was locked and I had to go through an interview to get it unlocked. They wanted to be damned sure that I was who I said I was before they unlocked my account. In the interview, they asked what items I had sold and when I had sold them. I told them that my last transaction was to sell Indy 500 tickets a year ago. They told me that there had been all sorts of other transactions since then.

Of course, they tried to put the blame on me, but I told them that they were negligent for allowing transactions to take place on my account that did not originate from my static IP address. They didn't know how to respond to that.

To make a long story short, somebody had hijacked my account and was selling non-existant Bose stereo gear. BOSE! I felt so violated! We cleared up the mess and eBay purged all of the transactions from my account and feedback ratings. Now I'm back to 100% +FB, and I have to log-on regularly just to make sure nobody's hijacked the account. What a friggin' PITA.

I have one of those accounts that's very desirable to hijack: 100% +FB on LOTS of transactions. Having had my account hijacked once already, there is NO FUCKING WAY* that I would give access to my account to some bidding service that I don't know from Adam. for all you know, they could be a front for an account hijacking outfit. I'd rather do all the sniping manually.

* Pardon my French
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.

hongman
Newbie 50+

ebay sniping

Post by hongman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Sigh, I must admit to using a snipe service, after going thru the pain of losing auctions at the last second. The service I use sells you a number of "snipes" pretty cheaply, and unsuccessful auction bids don't count against your snipe account. Since I travel alot, and can't monitor ebay when I am in the office, this on-line snipe program is the way to go for me, as my computer doesn't even have to be connected to the internet for the snipe to be placed. I have used this service to win auctions in the past 7 months for the Carver Gear I got for myself and my dad, 2 C-16's and an A220. I have never had a problem with using the snipe service, and only once did a deadbeat e-prey seller rip me off, unfortunately to the tune of $95 for a pair of Sidi bike shoes a couple of years ago. Knock on wood, I've either gotten better at spotting honest and dishonest sellers, or I've been really lucky, as I have gotten a lot of stuff from ebay that I have been delighted with. I don't win every auction I snipe, but I get my share! I would agree with the other reply that ebay's method of "pushing" the auction price up according to everyone's max bid puts you at a disadvantage, as eventually, everyone knows what your max bid is, and can act accordingly. Various sniping programs have been around for years, and ebay's setup means you can't beat the sniper the majority of the time.

If you are interested in the snipe service I use see the link below

http://www.snip.pl/en/

Since I don't sell anything on ebay (yet) I am not worried about my site password being hijacked. My PayPal info is not shared with the snipe service, so theft of my ebay id wouldn't do anyone any good.

Happy Sniping for that Carver Pro Rack Mount..!!

Steve \:D/

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:25 pm

Another thing that stinks about the way eBay software works is you can actually outbid yourself. For example, suppose you enter a maximum bid on an auction item and later choose to raise your maximum. If you were the last bidder when you raise your maximum amount the bid amount increases. You should not be able to raise the bid simply by changing your maximum.

bob p
SILVER-7t

Post by bob p » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:19 am

yes, i have noticed that too. that is definitely a bug. hopefully, when you revise your max bid, the bid increment is still small enough that the uptick isn't painful.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”