8" Driver Fraud and New System Addition Happiness...

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

8" Driver Fraud and New System Addition Happiness...

Post by elgrau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Ok; I'll try and keep this as short as I can. As I mentioned before (I think), I've been building The Epicure (EPI) 1000's from "factory spec" info found on http://www.humanspeakers.com. All well and good until I saw this ad on ePrey from "alaneallen" for "Genesis & EPI speakers 8" woofer replacements NEW".....:

"New 8" replacements for EPI (Epicure), Genesis Physics, Burhoe acoustics, Reynolds, Advance, early Boston A-70, others.
American made, for the early "New England sound" clique. PLEASE NOTE: This unit is NOT the one used in the passive radiator type (EPI 200, Genesis 210) for example. It is the one you would use in the EPI 100, 90, 105, 110, 180, 102, 202, 250, 1000 etc, or the Genesis 1, 11, 1+, 10, etc. It also works in the "special" units built by Genesis for Fred Locke Stereo, Audio Lab, HiFi House, All Star Audio.
New and boxed. American made! The last run built as Gesisis closed. Cones are not doped. Units sport the famous Burhoe paper dustcap.!"

Most of this ad turned out to be pure bullshit. The drivers were not "EPI/Genesis" quality, and when I tried to tell him this he of course got all offensive and claimed his drivers were from the "later EPI's", that used round magnets, etc., etc. Again, pure BS. Two of the eight drivers also had other "issues" (low freq "rattle&hum"), so I sent one off for an independent evaluation from a true speaker expert, and here is report that came back:
Hi Ed,
I received your package yesterday and did a bit of an autopsy.
Here are the notes I scribbled as I dug into the woofer:
1. the surround roll profile is too small for "original" linear
excursion.
2. the surround seems a bit "old" - well, at least that sort of
confirms his claim that these have been sitting around a while.
3. The magnet and front plate look "right"
4. The cone is too light/thin to be correct - GPC and EPI used much
heavier, felt/paper pulp cones.
5. The spider (rear suspension) does not allow for the original linear
excursion either.
6. The voice coil... well, I attached a picture to tell 1000 words.
The original voice coil had a 3/4" long winding, to allow for a 1/2" peak
to peak linear excursion. They were heavy, four layer coils with an
inductance of about 0.87 mH (this helps roll off the woofer without an
external coil). The CK woofer has a winding length about 5/16" long, 2
layers, with about 0.2 mH of inductance.

It's not even close. They may be decent woofers in another
application, but not for what he is selling them to be used in.

He should change his ad's blurb to "over 100 eBayers ripped off!"
(end of "autopsy")

So avoid this guy (alaneallen, ID #?); he's a flim-flam artist/fraud who has a lot of buyer's who don't know any better on eBay fooled...Won't bore you with all of my attempts to get him to refund my $'s; I'll probably just have to chalk it up...

Now the good news; I've been able to locate plenty of genuine vintage EPI drivers on eBay and now have all but two of the eight 8" drivers in my 1000's replaced with EPI drivers, and the sound is absolutely beautiful, full, and extremely detailed (and will only get better when I finally receive the last two "new" EPI drivers from Huw at http://www.humanspeakers.com!). I'll try and upload a pic of one of the speakers

They look just like the "factory" 1000's (see same site mentioned earlier for pics) EXCEPT I used maple veneer on the sides instead of cloth covered masonite, for a more "modern" look...and they are really beautiful. I'll try and upload a pic to my picture site and then post....I also have compiled a Word document "construction recipe" and "lessons learned" re this project, if anyone is interested....Ed
http://www.myfabrik.com/elgraupics/publ ... C27281[img]
Last edited by elgrau on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:08 pm

I posted some "more better" pics of my new speaks....
plus the picture of the CKC ("Clayton Keith Crap") driver voice coil vs original EPI....
When my final two of eight EPI 8" drivers arrive (2/12), I'll do a sound review post of these EPI 1000's as soon as I can. Guess I better get this posted before something "crashes" #-o
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 pm

One more pic with new "steampunk" (unintended effect) speaker grills installed:

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”