Judge for yourself

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Judge for yourself

Post by stereo_dog » Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I am posting this for entertainment purposes. It is a series of email messages concerning a transaction I had on Ebay. Let me know what you think:

Original auction link: (notice end time, payment time, and shipping charges within text).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=013

Here is the following email messages started by the seller:(the message has to be read from the bottom up)

"How could I do that when I already shipped your stereo out to you earlier today, that is what the receipt I sent you was from remember? Like I said if you feel its fair that I pay the extra shipping cost then what can I do? I didnt mean for this to turn into a debate, I just assumed you would reimburse me for the shipping cost. I didnt know it would be that much or I would have listed it as that much.

-------------- Original message --------------

> Look, cancel the sale and refund my money if it upsets
> you that much.
>
> Joe
> --- fresnocaligal@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I had no idea the shipping cost would be that much,
> > I had it set at 55.00 because that is all it cost me
> > to ship out the last stereo like this, they must
> > have lived closer or something, But if you feel that
> > its fair that I pay the other 12.50 than what can I
> > do? I sent you a copy of the receipt so you could
> > clearly see how much it cost me to ship to you, I
> > guess I should have just waiting and told you the
> > cost before I shipped it, but I assumed I would be
> > reinbursed, but if you want me to pay par t of your
> > shipping cost, then what can I do? I guess its my
> > fault for assuming you would reimburse me, I should
> > have just sent it parcel post I guess, and yes it
> > would have been cheaper, but I thought I was doing
> > you a favor by getting your stereo to you in 2 to 3
> > days instead of 2- 3 weeks.
> >
> > -------------- Original message --------------
> > From: Joe Humbert
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm confused, you had shipping listed within the
> > > auction text as $55.00, to anywhere in the Cont.
> > US.
> > > Usually if it's in the auction text, the seller
> > has
> > > already researched the shipping and/or packing
> > > charges. I paid what was invoiced. I would be
> > willing
> > > to split the difference, or $12.50. If you would
> > have
> > > told me upfront the shipping would be more, I
> > would
> > > have negotiated that at that time. I also was nice
> > and
> > > paid very quickly for the auction, you required
> > > payment in less than 3 days, I paid in less than
> > 24
> > > hours. I'm willing to work this out.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Joe
> > > --- fresnocaligal@comcast.net wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi, this is your tracking number from UPS. your
> > item
> > > > has been shipped, little problem though.....You
> > paid
> > > > 55.00 dollars for shipping Iam gonna send you a
> > copy
> > > > of the receipt, it cost me 80.51 to have your
> > stereo
> > > > packaged and shipped. The cost for shipping
> > alone
> > > > was 64.28 plus the packageing cost. I'am sending
> > a
> > > > copy of the reciept to you , and I would
> > appreciate
> > > > it if you would pay the 25.00 dollars it cost me
> > to
> > > > ship your item to you. It is not fair that I
> > have to
> > > > pay it, I could have shipped it parcel post for
> > > > cheaper but you would not have received it for
> > 2-3
> > > > weeks. I figured I would be nice and cover the
> > cost
> > > > and now it is your turn to be nice and reimburse
> > me
> > > > for YOUR shipping cost, you can send the 25.00
> > via
> > > > paypal to the same email address you sent your
> > > > payment to. Please email me and let me know if
> > you
> > > > intend to reimbu rse me or not, Im attaching a
> > copy
> > > > of the reciept.. > > > > "

No one asked me how I wanted it shipped, I paid the invoice.
Am I in the wrong, because if I am, I will apologize to this person.
Thanks for your help.
(2) Silver Nine t's, TFM-4.0t, (4) M-500t, (2) M-1.0t, AV-705x, C-19, Sunfire TG-III, AL-III

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Re: Judge for yourself

Post by frankieD » Mon May 19, 2008 7:43 pm

I've had a limited experience with ebay but this seller has almost 300 transactions. He should know what he is doing. I don't think you owe him anything more.

If he is upset at having to pay more, he should consider it tuition. He learned something. You would think he would have already learned it after 300 sales.

Just my opinion.

bikerdude523
TFM-55

Post by bikerdude523 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm with frankieD.
I think the seller is jacking you up. If he would have listed the shipping at 80.00, I doubt the auction would have received any bids, or at least influenced the selling price. I used the online UPS calculator and came up with 60.00 with out packaging. Why couldn't he have done the same? Or if he would have packaged the unit his self he would be out only 5.00.
After getting an actual packaging and shipping quote, he should have worked it out with you before shipping!
Your offer to split the difference is more than I would have done. Auction had ended, invoice was sent and promptly paid ............Done deal.
Sounds like a learning experience for the seller, But your feed back score may suffer.
It seems the true question is, (Is preserving your feed back score worth 25.00 to you).........Crappy deal.
2 channel rig
Sunfire Classic vacuum tube Preamp: (3) M-4.0t's: SD/A-490t: Polk Audio SDA SRS: Velodyne SMS-1: (2) Velodyne DLS5000R's

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Post by stereo_dog » Mon May 19, 2008 8:43 pm

You guys will love this ending. I Paypaled the $25.00, plus an additional $5.00 for her "pain & suffering" basically because I was tired of the whining, you know, pay for it to go away. I also explained my position one last time, with the hopes that it would finally sink in. Here's the email I got back:

"Ok, first of all it was only 25.00 difference, not 30.00 and second of all I can clearly see your pissed off about having to pay the extra shipping cost, and I can tell where this is leading...I can clearly see you are gonna go off when its time to leave the feedback so I tell you what...when your echeck clears I'm just gonna send you your money back, I dont like to argue over money and I would rather just eat the money it cost me to ship it to you rather than having to feel like shit for asking you to reimburse me. so as soon as your echeck clears I will send you the money right back, so that way you have no reason to leave me negative feedback and you have no reason to be pissed. I will just chalk this whole thing up to lesson learned. so sorry for any inconvience this has caused, and echecks usually take up to 3-5 days to clear. and when it does I will send you back your money, if you can cancell the echeck on your end than please just do that. because you are making me feel like I have done something wrong, and I would rather just give you your money back..."

My response:
"Sorry, I meant for it to be a charge against my credit
card. You clearly do not understand, I do not want to
argue, but an ebay auction is a contract, for BOTH
sides. If shipping was a concern, a line in the
auction text stating "shipping costs are approximate,
please wait until the auction is completed for final
shipping costs", would have been more descriptive and
understandable. I received an invoice which had the
purchase price, the shipping cost, the insurance. If I
did not pay the invoice, you would have also been mad.
I always pay invoices within 24 hours of the auction's
end, that is a simple thing to do to keep seller's
from getting "pissed off", which usually results in a
good transaction. You, on the other hand, feel that I
"owed" you $25.00 simply because you sent the package
via one carrier over another, and that it was the
"nice" thing to do. I also think the "nice" thing to
do is pay ontime, but I never asked for any "special"
treatment for it. Consider the $30.00 a payment for
being "nice" to a fellow ebayer. By the way, do not
assume that I was going to leave negative feedback for
you, you do not know me and you do not know what I am
thinking. I would think the fact that I sent payment
(although I did screw up and send an echeck) should
make you feel that this ended with a good conclusion
(after, all, that is what you wanted?). I guess you
feel you have been "screwed" because I not only paid
you the $25.00, but I sent $30.00, man, what an insult
that must be!!
thank-you for a truly crappy transaction.

Joe"

Her final response:
"like I said your money will be returned to you."

Mine:
"I give up
have a nice evening.

Joe"

Then I promptly left positive feedback. Even when I try to be nice... I get shit on.
Go figure.
(2) Silver Nine t's, TFM-4.0t, (4) M-500t, (2) M-1.0t, AV-705x, C-19, Sunfire TG-III, AL-III

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Welcome to Flea-Prey. Land of the [fill in the blank]. ](*,)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

bikerdude523
TFM-55

Post by bikerdude523 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:33 pm

The seller is clearly feeling guilty about it. After she sends the money back to you, I would resend it to her and drag her guilt out for a while. Or better yet, send her a 30.00 gift certificate to the UPS store. O:)
2 channel rig
Sunfire Classic vacuum tube Preamp: (3) M-4.0t's: SD/A-490t: Polk Audio SDA SRS: Velodyne SMS-1: (2) Velodyne DLS5000R's

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Mon May 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Just my opinion, but if you don't want anything further from the lady, let it drop. I don't foresee anything positive from further interaction and life is too short.
ImageImage

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon May 19, 2008 10:25 pm

If I mis-quote something, I almost never go back on my prices...
I would have either ate the $25.00 in shipping myself, or would have gone over to USPS and sent it at the correct shipping.
Either way, I would not have asked for the $$ from the customer, especially if it were my fault.

She's an idiot, for shipping it a more expensive way than stated or needed, and then expecting the customer to pay up, for her poor judgment... Dee Dee Dee !!!

On the other end... I would have done that same thing you did, I would have sent $25-30, and let he know that was un-called-for, and wait for her to send me a refund.

Splitting the difference, was a good/fair deal in my eyes !!!

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:34 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Splitting the difference, was a good/fair deal in my eyes !!!
Fair enough. Let bygones be bygones.

.........That is, unless the fucker weighed 300 LBS! Ouch! [-X
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 pm

I bet all her ducks will be in a row the next time she quotes shipping charges! Occasionally shipping charges quoted on an auction are inflated to a ridiculous amount by a seller who wants to profit on the back end also,never heard of a low figure, till now. I think you bent over backwards to be nice about it,which from a strictly legal standpoint,you had no obligation to do. Joe Walsh has an album titled "You can't argue with a sick mind" gdb

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue May 20, 2008 3:07 am

She knew exactly what she was doing; I've been on eBay for 10 years now with over 150 transactions. I screwed myself one time by not calculating shipping correctly and didn't even break even on the item! I ate the difference and so should she.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Post by stereo_dog » Tue May 20, 2008 5:47 am

Thanks guys, for all the info/opinions. I'll wait and see if I am refunded. I'll never buy from this seller again.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Tue May 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Almost everything I've sold on eBay has cost more to ship then what the "shipping calculator" had come up with (or I opt to send priority because it's only a few $'s more as a favor). Also, some times what I've bought has cost a seller more to ship then he thought...in all cases no one said anything about..mostly evens out over time..lot easier just to "pay and go" and forget about it. Not worth the hassel. If one gets shorted badly, then he/she should learn from the experience and do a better job of estimating.
Personally, I would have told her to honor our contract and eat the difference. Not my problem, we had a deal; if shipping was higher, I might not have bid as high, etc., etc.
I'm currently in the early stages of a somewhat similiar saga with a buyer. Some folks you just cannot satisfy no matter how hard you try...
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

icravcarver
TFM-25

Post by icravcarver » Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 pm

As a frequent flyer on the epray site, I have never questioned or asked for more money if something costs more to ship than I estimate. Heck, then biggest problem I have is my crappy scale is usually off from the USPS or UPS scales (not by much). Or I repackage just before shipping and screw up the weight with more or less packaging. Whatever the case, if it is more to ship, then it is my dime for the security in knowing I packaged it the best way to insure safe arrival. If it is less, I see if there is a quicker way to get it there for close to what was estimated or refund the difference. This is how those assholes that started the "Make Money by Selling on Ebay" videos have f**ed the system.

That person is just a screwball and ruins it for all of us that are just trying to legitimately (spelling?) sell something that we no longer can use and feel that someone else may enjoy. She knew what she was doing. If she didn't after 300 some odd transactions, she doesn't belong in our universe!! [-X
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:12 pm

treitz3 wrote:Welcome to Flea-Prey. Land of the [fill in the blank]. ](*,)
How 'bout just Land[fill]

bwaaahahahahaha

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”