Dedicated line project

Custom Equipment Mods.
Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Dedicated line project

Post by Jag_97470 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks again Steve. Maybe I was not thinking correctly, the reason I wanted and told the electrician I wanted 15 amp is because the PS Audio boxes are 15 amp/not 20, and if something happened/shorted component or whatever, I wanted to make sure the breaker tripped. I was thinking if I ran off the 20 amp, this might not trip if something happened? I really don't know, those were my thoughts & I told the electrician this is what I wanted. Maybe I am wrong? Don't know. Thanks

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:Thanks again Steve. Maybe I was not thinking correctly, the reason I wanted and told the electrician I wanted 15 amp is because the PS Audio boxes are 15 amp/not 20, and if something happened/shorted component or whatever, I wanted to make sure the breaker tripped. I was thinking if I ran off the 20 amp, this might not trip if something happened? I really don't know, those were my thoughts & I told the electrician this is what I wanted. Maybe I am wrong? Don't know. Thanks
That makes sense to me ,I was wondering about that..If the outlets were 15 or 20 amp....If you can get away from the 2 pole 15 , and go with 2 single pole 15 amp breakers , that would be ideal then...Of course keeping in mind that you run 2 new sets of # 12 3 wire branches to you new out lets...

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:12 pm

stevewithrow wrote:
Jag_97470 wrote:Thanks again Steve. Maybe I was not thinking correctly, the reason I wanted and told the electrician I wanted 15 amp is because the PS Audio boxes are 15 amp/not 20, and if something happened/shorted component or whatever, I wanted to make sure the breaker tripped. I was thinking if I ran off the 20 amp, this might not trip if something happened? I really don't know, those were my thoughts & I told the electrician this is what I wanted. Maybe I am wrong? Don't know. Thanks
That makes sense to me ,I was wondering about that..If the outlets were 15 or 20 amp....If you can get away from the 2 pole 15 , and go with 2 single pole 15 amp breakers , that would be ideal then...Of course keeping in mind that you run 2 new sets of # 12 3 wire branches to you new out lets...
Thanks again, I might just do that down the road. Now at least I know what needs done! You the Man!

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:09 am

Jag_97470 wrote:
stevewithrow wrote:
Thanks again, I might just do that down the road. Now at least I know what needs done! You the Man!
Thank you Jag , you rock.....We will have to get together some time....

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:46 pm

stevewithrow wrote: Thank you Jag , you rock.....We will have to get together some time....
Yes definitely, I'm never up that way much, but if your down this way (Roseburg) give me a buzz. :D

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 am

Cutler-Hammer is another good brand of panel/breaker. :)

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 am

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Rainman
SILVER-7t

Post by Rainman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:Thanks again Steve. Maybe I was not thinking correctly, the reason I wanted and told the electrician I wanted 15 amp is because the PS Audio boxes are 15 amp/not 20
Jag, just to let you know each of the PS Audio power ports are BOTH 15 & 20 amp ready. They are capable of doing either 15amps or 20amps depending on how it's hooked up, what it's hooked up with, and what it's hooked up to....
They do not list an amp rating for the soloist in wall boxes by the way..

Rainman

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/desc ... ccessories
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Rainman wrote:
Jag_97470 wrote:Thanks again Steve. Maybe I was not thinking correctly, the reason I wanted and told the electrician I wanted 15 amp is because the PS Audio boxes are 15 amp/not 20
Jag, just to let you know each of the PS Audio power ports are BOTH 15 & 20 amp ready. They are capable of doing either 15amps or 20amps depending on how it's hooked up, what it's hooked up with, and what it's hooked up to....
They do not list an amp rating for the soloist in wall boxes by the way..

Yes, thanks Rainman. I have done more research on the soloist and it is the same way. They list it as 15 amp only because of electrical codes, but will also handle 20amp. Yeah!

Rainman
SILVER-7t

Post by Rainman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Glad to fill in a blank. I figured it could only help in your project if you had all of the proper info on the products you & the electrician are using. One other thing that can only help is to use wire that is as large as is practical and affordable to make the run from your wall boxes to your panel. There is a reason why those boxes will handle much more serious wire than the standard 14-4 or 12-2 Menards special romex. I am sure some will disagree with the importance of this and they are entitled to do so, but if anyone would not use the best affordable wire for this I would only have one question. How many of my fellow forum bros. have walked into a cell site and looked around? Even though most of the equipment in such sites uses only a fraction of the power as your audio gear everything is still always fed with quality Cable instead of "weenie wire." About the only place standard romex is used in a cell site is to run the exhaust fan in the $hitter. There couldn't be a reason for this could there? I know why it's done and let's just say the people at companies like Motorola, Ericcson, and Nortel know a bit more than any of us about powering up gear and having to do it using your usual super crappy utility power. One of our forum mates (Radioeng2) has credentials covering everything that is power from the source at the utility company all the way to the power cord on the back of your gear. So hopefully Marc will chime in here and help everyone learn about this subject. Many people do not think about this because it's behind the wall so it's "outa sight, outa mind" The nice thing here is we can stop this topic right where the "$800" power cord starts since no one wants to be the "pivot man" :-& we will avoid that whole circle jerk =D> Sorry I got a little long winded here, but this is an affordable improvement that is unfortunately far too often overlooked because it CAN ONLY HELP your gear to perform at it's best and isn't that what it's all about? A quick testament to this is I was able to eliminate all unwanted noise from all of the gadgets in our home while also having our sound stage become MUCH wider by simply tightening everything in our service panel!!!!

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:38 pm

Very well said Rainman! I think some don't even consider or even think about it when plugging in audio gear. To me, or what I have been trying to accomplish is start at the outlet and the rest will come. But, as you can see from my post and pictures I am learning a lot.
Thanks for your interest and I think this is a subject that is often overlooked.

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:36 am

Rainman wrote:Glad to fill in a blank. I figured it could only help in your project if you had all of the proper info on the products you & the electrician are using. One other thing that can only help is to use wire that is as large as is practical and affordable to make the run from your wall boxes to your panel. There is a reason why those boxes will handle much more serious wire than the standard 14-4 or 12-2 Menards special romex. I am sure some will disagree with the importance of this and they are entitled to do so, but if anyone would not use the best affordable wire for this I would only have one question. How many of my fellow forum bros. have walked into a cell site and looked around? Even though most of the equipment in such sites uses only a fraction of the power as your audio gear everything is still always fed with quality Cable instead of "weenie wire." About the only place standard romex is used in a cell site is to run the exhaust fan in the $hitter. There couldn't be a reason for this could there? I know why it's done and let's just say the people at companies like Motorola, Ericcson, and Nortel know a bit more than any of us about powering up gear and having to do it using your usual super crappy utility power. One of our forum mates (Radioeng2) has credentials covering everything that is power from the source at the utility company all the way to the power cord on the back of your gear. So hopefully Marc will chime in here and help everyone learn about this subject. Many people do not think about this because it's behind the wall so it's "outa sight, outa mind" The nice thing here is we can stop this topic right where the "$800" power cord starts since no one wants to be the "pivot man" :-& we will avoid that whole circle jerk =D> Sorry I got a little long winded here, but this is an affordable improvement that is unfortunately far too often overlooked because it CAN ONLY HELP your gear to perform at it's best and isn't that what it's all about? A quick testament to this is I was able to eliminate all unwanted noise from all of the gadgets in our home while also having our sound stage become MUCH wider by simply tightening everything in our service panel!!!!

Rainman
Be careful here , you are comparing a commercial application ( The Intels ...Motorolas , ect....) to a residential application . They are not the same.....Commercial = Nuet and ground are almost ALWAYS isolated in the panel...... Residential = nuet and ground are bonded in the panel ...I worked at Intel in Arizona for 4 years as an electrician......It was all about Isolated power , ( every tool had its own nuet and ground ) and wire size was was per manufacture . Also they where real careful of derating power and voltage drops.....The only time we would up size wire and breakers is when we would hook up a motor that had a locked rotor and draws alot of current at start up.... , but then draws alot less current at running operation....But im not going into how that works , you wouldn't understand ......As far as my house....My stuff is dead quite.....I didnt have to spend hundreds on cords or outlets.....It was built in 1935...

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Hey Steve, I tested a few different item's in the kitchen to see if there was static in the TV. Guess what, The coffee bean grinder > no static, hair dryer > no static, > blender > static! Yes, I think that brush motor and of course being over 30 years old isn't helping. I feel much better now! \:D/

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:Hey Steve, I tested a few different item's in the kitchen to see if there was static in the TV. Guess what, The coffee bean grinder > no static, hair dryer > no static, > blender > static! Yes, I think that brush motor and of course being over 30 years old isn't helping. I feel much better now! \:D/
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> ...That is very awesome.......!!!!!!....Trouble shooting is fun.....Some times....

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Time to lose the Waring.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to “!!! MODS !!!”