Jim Smith Get Better Sound 5th issue of Quarter Notes:

Custom Equipment Mods.
Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Jim Smith Get Better Sound 5th issue of Quarter Notes:

Post by Jag_97470 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:55 pm

I like the story at the bottom from David Aiken of Audio Asylum on room treatments.

http://www.getbettersound.com/quarternotesv2i1.html

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Jim Smith Get Better Sound 5th issue of Quarter Notes:

Post by Don » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 am

Quote from article:

[Note: Although I fully agree with David, I still caution folks to be careful that you don’t over-treat your room. However, I must admit that I have often over-treated my own rooms, and then realized that I had gone too far. In that respect, it can be comparable to focusing a lens.]

Jag,

Recently went through this process. My initial mindset was the more the better when ordering. Boy was I wrong in my particular case. :shock: Initially covered about 70 to 80% of my room. Ended up taking most down except behind listening area (listening couch about 1 ft. from rear wall) and 1st reflections on side walls. Put corner traps up and they still remain. Experimented with 1st reflection on ceiling yesterday. Not a very big WAF to say the least. Have not really heard a difference there. May be due to high ceilings in Home Theatre room. Jury still out on that one, will due more listening this week.

In my particular room, less was better. Once I put everything up, had to turn my treble all the way up to hear the highs and they still were not prominant enough for my tastes. Room no longer had that live sound. However, in my opinion and having just gone through this, every room will be different based on seating location, throw rugs vs wall to wall carpeting, curtains, furniture, ceiling heights, dipole vs front radiating, location of equipment, etc.

My suggestion to everyone exploring this area, use push pins instead of glue. That way you can take up and down during the process without damaging the walls. Fortunately, I went this route without any damage to the drywall.

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Re: Jim Smith Get Better Sound 5th issue of Quarter Notes:

Post by thuffman03 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:47 am

Very interesting read.
Some cool Carver stuff!

Return to “!!! MODS !!!”