DIY power cords and speaker wire

Custom Equipment Mods.
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: DIY power cords and speaker wire

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:50 am

F1nut wrote:Ray and Roy.....Roy and Ray.....

What brand/model of power conditioner?
Jesse.... it was an inexpensive unit from AR. But, it has a huge warrantee policy to repair/replace anything that gets damaged by electrical storm or surge. I use it at home to cover everything EXCEPT my Lightstar gear. They have power conditioning built in.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:15 am

"Hot damn, I use the same "acid test" and the whole issue is far from a waste of time, Ed."

By "whole issue" F1, I meant the part about caring what anyone else thinks about one's choice of tweaks (this thread issue degradation)....not the "whole issue" of achieving better sound. I agree, THAT issue is not a waste of time.
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:46 am

PT 2400 has removable PS cords.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm

TNRabbit wrote: FYI to you both: I've found this "acid test" is sometimes nothing more than a recording that has been compressed. When you lose the dynamics, the soft whisper in your ear is almost the same level as the drummer pounding on the snare. So be careful about using previously unheard things in a song to determine that you've reached a new level in sonic ecstasy. I'm not saying this is an absolute, but compression can definitely cause this phenomenon.
Gary, I was referring to gear tweaks, not a new recording.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
Jesse.... it was an inexpensive unit from AR. But, it has a huge warrantee policy to repair/replace anything that gets damaged by electrical storm or surge. I use it at home to cover everything EXCEPT my Lightstar gear. They have power conditioning built in.

ray
Ok, thanks. When purchasing surge/power conditioners one should always check that it has unrestricted high current abilities. From the noted results using yours, it definitely does not.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm

elgrau wrote:"Hot damn, I use the same "acid test" and the whole issue is far from a waste of time, Ed."

By "whole issue" F1, I meant the part about caring what anyone else thinks about one's choice of tweaks (this thread issue degradation)....not the "whole issue" of achieving better sound. I agree, THAT issue is not a waste of time.
I gotcha now Ed, thanks.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 pm

"Gary, I was referring to gear tweaks, not a new recording."

what he said, too...(once I own the CD, I'm not likely to replace it with anything else...being the "cheapskate" that my wife and kids know me to be...the damn deadbeats... :lol: )
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

elgrau wrote:
what he said, too
I was sure that is what you meant too, but didn't want to speak for you.

mcnishra

Post by mcnishra » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Dr W. or anyone please help! I found some garnet shot that is used just like steel shot. This stuff was given to me free (Cheaper then buying steel shot) and I wanted to know if I could use this instead of steel shot. Please let me know. I can't find anything on the internet that advises otherwise :-k

Dr. W
TFM-35

Post by Dr. W » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:21 am

micnishra,

I don't believe garnet will have nearly enough iron content to create the electromagnetic shielding that steel shot does.

But the shot will probably create some damping effect. Since it was free give it a try. Make two identical cords, one with garnet shot, the other with steel shot.

My guess is the one with steel shot will sound substantially better.

Dr. W
Bruce A Weiland, my system here -->> http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl ... ce_weiland

mcnishra

Post by mcnishra » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am

I appreciate the info... That makes a lot of sense. I found a vendor on eBay that sells steel shot but the size is s170 (0.5mm). Is that too big? I was looking at your recipe for the cables you made and could not figure out which size you used. Can you please advise? Thanks!

Dr. W
TFM-35

Post by Dr. W » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 am

I will have to check. I will get back to you.
Bruce A Weiland, my system here -->> http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl ... ce_weiland

Dr. W
TFM-35

Post by Dr. W » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 am

There was only a felt tip pin marking on the box I was given; S-110.

A quick search returned this

S110 Carbon Steel Shot

SAE Size No. SAE J444
Shot Tolerances Screen Opening* in - mm
S110 All Pass No. 30 Screen .0234 - 0.600
10% Max on No. 35 Screen .0197 - 0.500
80% Min on No. 50 Screen .0117 - 0.300
90% Min on No. 80 Screen .0070 - 0.180

Based on the above, you should be OK. Just eyeballing mine they look like 1/3 to 1/4 millimeter, but you can see the specs above.

Bruce

mcnishra

Post by mcnishra » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks a lot Bruce! I'll give it a try and hope for the best. :D

Return to “!!! MODS !!!”