Playing with my CDP.... (PIC INTENSIVE!)

Custom Equipment Mods.
Bill
SILVER-7t

Playing with my CDP.... (PIC INTENSIVE!)

Post by Bill » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:18 pm

I'll add the pics soon, I need to resize them badly. I decided I needed to dynamat my Marantz DV-8300 the other night, so I got some direction from F1 and got to moddin'.

The only part that stumps me is the bottom. Do I need to apply Dynamat to the inside of the chassis or the outside? I ask because I am not quite comfortable completely taking apart the CDP to get to the inside of it....

PICTURE TIME!
Here is a front pic, after I popped the top....

Step 1:

Now here is the top before:

After:

Now the back of the Chassis:

This is as far as I got before the bottom conundrum, and cutting the shit out of my finger...

](*,)
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

jvandyke_texas
TFM-6cb

Post by jvandyke_texas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 pm

What exactly are you trying to do to that CD player?
It's already in a metal box.
Simply sand a few contact points between pieces of the metal case,
and make sure the whole thing's grounded.
Phase Linear 4000 Series I,II, 700B Series I,II, Carver C-4000 champagne, black, C-4000t, TX-11a, AR-XB, Pioneer PL-512, Speakerlab K

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Dampening the chassis.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 pm

jvandyke_texas
TFM-6cb

Post by jvandyke_texas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 pm

The CD player is noisy?
Or it rattles?
Phase Linear 4000 Series I,II, 700B Series I,II, Carver C-4000 champagne, black, C-4000t, TX-11a, AR-XB, Pioneer PL-512, Speakerlab K

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:15 pm

I also curious as to why you'd DynaMat a CDP. That shit is EXPENSIVE!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 pm

This is what I have heard about CDPs in general. They tend to pick up airborne vibration which "can" affect the tracking and transport stability. This is why the really high end units tend to be much heavier and better damped (ever weigh a Wadia, Krell or Classé?). I've found a very real difference in sound just using a set of Sorbothane AVRizers under my CDPs which is why I've ordered Sorbothane pads from Mr. M-500t for all my AVRizers.

Damping is why Sunfire shiopped many, if not all, of its products with those glass mounting plates and why people swear that placing bricks on their amplifiers makes them sound better. Maybe F1nut could give us some more pointers on this.

As for Bill, I'd apply the Dynamat to the outside bottom of your CDP to complete the job taking care not to block any of the ventilation holes or screws. I'd also apply some transparent plastic film over the Dynamat inside the cover to avoid any potential short circuits.

This just another case of something that sounds ridiculous until you understand the scientific logic behind it. Like interconnects and speaker wire impedance effects or speaker stand spikes.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Thats why I can't seem to part with my old Onkyo Integra DX-C909
It's heavy as heck with a copper chassis built like a tank. I just wish I could find a new Transport for it because I love it's warm deep sound.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Nice job, Bill.

You've got enough in there that there's no need to do the exterior of the base. The main idea is to make that thin metal top more solid to help cut down on airborne vibration as Obi pointed out. Put the top back on and enjoy.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Chuck_K
TFM-25

Post by Chuck_K » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:53 pm

i know this is an old thread...but i'm still catching up here.

step 1 is the only step that made a helluva lot of sense to me....

did you hear a differnce after applying the dyna stuff? (be honest)

chears!!

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 pm

OBI56 wrote: Damping is why Sunfire shiopped many, if not all, of its products with those glass mounting plates and why people swear that placing bricks on their amplifiers makes them sound better.
You're spot-on with most of your post, OBI, but this bit is not quite right. The reason Sunfire shipped their amps with glass base plates (Carver did the same with the Silver 9t) is because many people put their amps on the floor, and if you've got carpet, this can be a MAJOR problem with convection cooling, since Sunfire amps don't have external heat sink fins or fans in the chassis. The glass plate ensures that there is enough open clearance under the chassis to facilitate proper airflow. Plus it just looks dead cool... ;)

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:38 pm

Richard, there were several reasons that they had those heavy glass bases and I did forget to mention the cooling consideration. Thanks for pointing it out. My original point had to do with vibration damping and you have to admit that those heavy glass bases did the job. So do solid granite or marble bases BTW, both of which are popular amongst tweakers. I used to think that most of these tweaks were pure crap until I heard them for myself and understood the science behind them.

I mentionned that my Sorbothane AVRizers made a big difference on all of my CDPs and adding some damping material on the insides of their cases also made a big difference. I mentionned this to my buddy who has an Exposure CDP (4 figure price tag) and got him a set of Sorbothane AVRizers for his birthday. He is now also a believer and claims a whole new level of subtlety showing up in his CDs.

Every little thing helps
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

atwaterkent

Re: Playing with my CDP.... (PIC INTENSIVE!)

Post by atwaterkent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:45 am

Dont forget to put aluminum foil over all the windows and of course make sure you are wearing your tin foil hat when playing CDs....

Return to “!!! MODS !!!”