Silver 7t pops on power off

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
Wardsweb
M-400t CUBE

Silver 7t pops on power off

Post by Wardsweb » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Any suggestions on troubleshooting why, when a friends of mine powers off a pair of Silver 7t amps, he gets a loud pop in his speakers after 20-30 seconds? It seems like a cap is draining and triggering it.
~There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.~

UncleMeat
TFM-35

Re: Silver 7t pops on power off

Post by UncleMeat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Both speakers or just one? Those are monoblocks, it would be strange if it were in both.

Les Johnson

Post by Les Johnson » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:11 pm

In solid state, you have caps supporting the + and - rails. Smaller value ones towards the actual loads. When those discharge unevenly, often age related, then you tend to get shutdown pops.

Especially if those amps haven't been recapped already, I'd start with all the smaller value electrolytic caps. The bigger guys are of the same age too, it's just that the small ones seem to drift in value and need replace firstest. The good news, if there is any, is the cost in those is pretty lite.

Uneven between the rails on discharge does equal popping in my experience. FWIW. Your mileage may vary.

Daddyjt
Newbie 50+

Post by Daddyjt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:09 am

Wardsweb wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:20 pm
Any suggestions on troubleshooting why, when a friends of mine powers off a pair of Silver 7t amps, he gets a loud pop in his speakers after 20-30 seconds? It seems like a cap is draining and triggering it.
Some useful info here, perhaps...

https://thecarversite.com/index.php?/to ... ent-114088
Too much to keep track of...

Currently enjoying Legacy Focus 20/20, driven by McCormak DNA 225, BillD C1, Oppo 105 FLAC

Wardsweb
M-400t CUBE

Post by Wardsweb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks guys. I will open them up and check them out. If they have not been recapped, I'll start there.
~There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.~

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”