FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 am

M500-T paired with Amazing Silver Edition Speakers Clipping

<<

FVTudor

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:10 pm

M500-T paired with Amazing Silver Edition Speakers Clipping

I just traded a pair of JBLs S312 speakers that I was driving with a Technics SU-A6MK2 preamp/receiver through a CARVER M500-T for a set of CARVER Amazing Silver Edition speakers. I updated the preamp/receiver to a new Harman/Kardon AVR 630 and I am running the M500-T off of the Left/Right Preamp Outputs of the AVR.

In the original configuration Technics/M500-T/JBLs S312 I never had the clipping problem. BTW I was running the SU-A6MK2 with the '20 dB down' switch on... I rare occasions when I run the power up to the max allowable on the JBLs I did not hear any clipping - the M500-t was not switching off the output ... :-({|=

Now in the new config HK-AVR 630/M500-T/Amazing Silver Edition Speakers [Note: the AVR shows the volume output on the display in dB] when I get close to -7 dB the clipping kicks in (you can hear the M500-T switching the output off or lower0. What is an amazing sound coming out of the speakers up to this point transforms in a 'gargled' mix of sounds... :?

Any ideas on what it might be the problem? I know I changed more than one 'unknown' in my 'system's equation' but I am just hoping that someone might give me a starting point where to look first. I don't have any experience with the ribbon speakers so maybe this is why I am a bit 'scared' ... I really don't want to 'blow' them but I am not sure in what shape they were when I got them either... I was told that they were in 'perfect' condition... well they sound magnificent al lower volumes...

Thank you for the time you took to look into my pain,
FVT ](*,)
What's MOST expensive MIGHT NOT be the BEST... What's BEST is what you feel COFORTABLE with...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:59 am

The Silver's take alot of power to drive them. Their efficiency is 88.5 dB, so that may be part or all of the problem. I'd recommend a minimum of 500wpc.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

FVTudor

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:54 pm

Thank you for your input. =D> I will run only one speaker with the M500-t bridged to get the 500 W out of it... this way I can verify the hypothesis. I will let you know the results.

FVT
What's MOST expensive MIGHT NOT be the BEST... What's BEST is what you feel COFORTABLE with...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:30 am

FVT,

Sounds good, I'm interested in the results.

F1
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum