FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:16 am

CT-17 Single Channel Problem

<<

ActionJaxn

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 am

CT-17 Single Channel Problem

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody can be any help with my CT-17 Pre-Amp. If I'm in the wrong section, please point the way.

Anyways, the problem is:

I get most of my audio through one channel. The balance knob is adjusted at center so no problem with that. There is no problem with power amp as I have tested with two of them. When I switch the pre-amp to hologram, there is some noise present on the other speaker. The audio will switch to the other speaker when I switch the audio wires. Also, the audio coming over the regular pre-amp channels sounds like I'm getting some distortion. When I switch to remote output, the sound is great, but I have no direct control over it from the front panel switches. I'm assuming that this is the way remote output works so no problem there.

If anybody that can help has suggestions, please let me know. If more information is needed, please let me know. Thanks.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 am

Re: CT-17 Single Channel Problem

When you turn on the SH, you will get some sound on the non functioning channel because the circuit cross feeds to both channels. The first thing I would try is cleaning your selector switch very well with deoxit cleaner. Spray well to flush and rotate the knob back and forth a bunch of times. Repeat this several times. Also check the RCA input connectors for oxidation or loose wires inside on the channel input that is not working. Next (or first actually) check your cables, I've had cables go bad without any visible damage. Simply switch out your IC's with ones that you know are working. If all of that fails, send your pre in to either Rolland or Rita for repair.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

ActionJaxn

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 am

Sasquatch,

When you are telling me to spray the selector switch with deoxit, are you referring to the balance knob or the hologram switch? I have not noticed any oxidation on the rca plugs, but I can hook directly to the solder connections, I will try that after spraying once I get the info back from you. Thanks for your help. If anybody else has any more info to share, I'm all eyes.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:10 am

Isn't these one of those pre/tuners that has jumpers in the back for a processor loop? If so, check to make sure those are solidly in place, or replace them temporarily with some short RCA connectors.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:38 am

I was talking about the pot that selects the input device on the pre, if the CT-17 has one and not buttons to select your source. I'm not familiar with the C-17's control layout. If you have the cover off, also look for any leaking capacitors. You might have a failed one in the channel that is out. Also look at the cold solder connections as they sometimes come loose during transit. Hopefully someone with more electronics knowledge than I will chime in, as I can only repeat what I have heard are common causes of dropping one channel. It won't hurt to deoxit the balance pot, so I'd try that too, but I doubt that would be the cause.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum