FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:26 am

Looking for some ideas re: DTL200 MK2

<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 pm

Looking for some ideas re: DTL200 MK2

I recently acquired a DTL200 Mk2. It powers up & the tray opens & closes smoothly. The problem is the red Disc Error light stays on at power-up & even after I put a CD in the tray & close it. The player doesn't seem to recognize the disc. The word "DISC" flashes for a while on the display, then stops.
Any ideas on what I need to look at when I open it up?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
You can never have too many components.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Looking for some ideas re: DTL200 MK2

I see no one has responded.
All I can say is I am just a couple post short of 100, so I am posting here and hoping you work it out.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:58 pm

I don't know what to tell you except take it in for service. I had this same thing happen on my Hardon/Karmon CD player. The laser did not read the disc and would error just as you are seeing. When I compared prices I found this CD player currently sold under $100 bucks and it was not even worth it having it serviced. I still have it, but just replaced it with another new player. At that time I replaced it with a Toshiba CD player that was "cheap". I recently gave that to my daughter as I purchased the OPPO Blue Ray player. Good luck!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:34 pm

GregW wrote:I recently acquired a DTL200 Mk2. It powers up & the tray opens & closes smoothly. The problem is the red Disc Error light stays on at power-up & even after I put a CD in the tray & close it. The player doesn't seem to recognize the disc. The word "DISC" flashes for a while on the display, then stops.
Any ideas on what I need to look at when I open it up?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

It's probably the laser pickup gone bad... are you using a burned CD or a bought one? Sometimes the burned ones don't pick up on the old equipment...clean it good with a commercial disc scrubber and try again....if not...well it don't look good!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm using bought CD's, though it will play burned ones, albeit not very well.
When I first took off the cover, I used a camera lens cloth to clean the optics, & surprisingly, it began playing the CD. It appeared to me that when the CD was loaded, it took the motor a bit of time to get the disc spinning....sometimes I'd get a high pitched whine & then it would take off. I thought maybe a few years of inactivity may have froze up the motor. However, once I let it play for about 10 minutes, it tracked well & played a couple other CDs I loaded. So, I played it the rest of the evening, about 3 hours total & all seemed fine.
Sooooooo.....I let it sit overnight, came home from work the next day, put in a CD, & it was back to square one. I noticed when it tried to spin up, it made a sound like rubber on plastic, kind of a squeal like you get when sneakers grip a smooth floor. I figured that may be the pad the disc sits on when it's first inserted. ](*,)
Anyway, that's my dilemma, I'm not going to putz around the insides of the poor thing & ruin it, I just wanted to get an idea from you kind folks about what I may be looking at for repair.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Did you try cleaning the lens? If you have not, use a cotton swab with a 50/50 solution of alcohol and water.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Yes, I did use the cotton swab w/ alcohol the first cleaning, & then used the lens cloth to get off any smears I may have left. It worked OK until the following day, then....... :-({|=

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum