FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 am

Some issues with the AV806x amp

<<

Sean

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Some issues with the AV806x amp

I just got a Carver AV806x (133 WPC x 6 channels) off of Craigslist. It seems to work alright, but it has a couple of issues:

1) The on/off switch on the front of the amp does not work. It stays on all the time, which probably doesn't matter that much, but I thought I might try to fix it. Anybody else ever run into this problem? Any advice on how to fix it?

2) The second issue may not be a problem - it might just be that I do not yet understand the amp entirely. It seems that all the channels work independently, but different combinations of channels being used result in different channels missing from the configuration. The back panel has a strange number configuration for the channels - 1-4-2-5-3-6. Does this influence how you need to plug in different channels? When I tried to use 5-3-6 to run the front three channels, for example, no sound cam out of channel 3. Similarly, when I ran channels 1-4-2-5-3, 5 and 3 had no sound. I am now using 1-4-2 channels to power my front three speakers, and it works fine. I was thinking, however, to try to bi-amp the front three speakers using all the amp's power - if I did, do I need to use certain channels for different parts of my speakers? How about if I use it for five speakers - which ones do I use? Or is there something wrong with the amp if I cannot just plug in any channels I choose?

In general, does anybody else have this amp? If so, have you had similar issues? Does anybody have a PDF of the manual?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. It works fine with channels 1-4-2 driving the front three speakers and sounding beautiful, which is worth the price I paid for it already ($235). But, I would, of course, like to get all channels working properly.

If I am doing something stupid, feel free to tell me. I am a newbie.
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Amps: Carver 806x (fronts), Carver TFM 15cb (rear)
Pre-amp: JBL Professional (JBL badged Lexicon MC-6)
Speakers: B&W 805 Matrix (fronts), B&W 601 (rear)
Sub: Epik Vanquish
Music at the office:
Amp: Sherwood S5000 II tube integrated
Speakers: B&W 620
<<

Sean

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Some issues with the AV806x amp

Let me add that many reviews I have seen on the amp suggest that it can be configured to a 6,5,4, or 3 channel amp (for example, see - http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplific ... 83crx.aspx). I do not see any buttons or switches that would enable these different configurations...any idea how it is done? Perhaps mine is already configured for 3 channels....
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Music at the office:
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:19 am

Sean, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe someone who has this amp can offer more information.

What pre/pro are you using?

...and WELCOME to the forum~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Sean

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:33 am

I am presently using my NAD T763 receiver as my preamp (waiting until I find a good deal on actual preamp). It is also possible that this is the problem, but I do not think so. I actually finally did find an owners manual through vintageaudiomanuals - that may be a good start until I meet somebody here who uses the 806x.
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Music at the office:
<<

Mayank

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:07 am

Sean:

Congratulations - you really scored by snagging this rare masterpiece for a mere $235 =D>

I too was a proud owner of an AV-806x until recently being forced to downsize. Here is what I found in my notes:

1. The power on switch can be replaced by one 15A/125V rating from mouser/digikey. Test it with a multimeter to make sure the switch is indeed faulty.

2. All 6 channels are *identitical* independent amplifier boards. Given its Craigslist lineage, you should first verify that all boards are working. Just connect your preamp output (FR or FL) to channel 1 input and a speaker to channel 1 speaker terminals. If you get audio, the board/channel is good. I would also verify there is no dc voltage at the speaker terminals before moving on to the next channel/board. Repeat for all 6 channels - especially for the suspect channels 3, 5 and 6 on your amplifier.

3. The back panel sequence of 1-4-2-5-3-6 is to allow easy "daisy chain" approach to bridge channels. This is how I used mine as a 3 channel amplifier:

Left: Preamp Left Out to Channel 2 Input. Channel 2 Inverted Output to Channel 5 Input. Channel 2 Red positive (bigger + symbol) and Channel 5 Red negative (bigger - symbol) to Left Speaker.

Right: Preamp Right Out to Channel 3 Input. Channel 3 Inverted Output to Channel 6 Input. Channel 3 Red positive (bigger + symbol) and Channel 6 Red negative (bigger - symbol) to Right Speaker.

Center: Preamp Center Out to Channel 1 Input. Channel 1 Inverted Output to Channel 4 Input. Channel 1 Red positive (bigger + symbol) and Channel 4 Red negative (bigger - symbol) to Center Speaker.

You could of course, not bridge the center channel and instead use it as a 4 channel amplifier, or bridge only one pair and use it as a 5 channel amplifier.

Good Luck.
Mayank
<<

birdyman

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 am

Some where on the web I heard AV705x replaced AV806x. If that is true, by nature of many Carver designs design sharing, they might have same configuration. On AV705x main switch is just conventional AC switch. By nature of contacts of switch, soon or later you need to replace it. You can try the de-oxy spray from Radioshack to try to clean and lube it first and see if you can save it. My 705x has identical 5 amp boards and has no bridging switches so I can not help on bridging.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 am

Sean,

Just purchased an 806X on Audiogon about a week ago for my son's birthday present to drive his PSB's Stratus Gold i's. Looked for a TFM-45 at the time, but none were available. It should be delievered by Fed Ex on Friday. Will probably play with it this weekend. Should have a scanned manual included. Have you received your manual yet?
I will get back with you after I've had a chance to put it through the paces. I will pop it into the main system and run it in a bridged 2 channel mode to see how it compares to my TFM-75. I will swap out the Plat's 4's for my Legacy Focus to get a better comparision. Focus are much easier to drive and should draw a fairer comparsion. Don't think the 806X even in the bridged 2 channel mode has quite the guts for the Plat's. :-k
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Sean,

Sent you an e-mail regarding your AV-806X. Mine delivered late last week with scanned manual. Delivered by Fed Ex and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Popped in Home Theatre room over the weekend to make sure everything was working properly. Temporarily replaced my TFM-75. Running in bridged 3 channel mode for approx. 365 watts a channel. (Future birthday present for my son's PSB Stratus Gold i's). Very impressed with the sound, definetely not slouch running as three channel amp. May keep it for myself based on like new condition. (OCCD is getting stronger all the time) Drop me an e-mail regarding the manual if you haven't received yours yet. \:D/

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum