It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 am

SDA 450 belt replacement

<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:41 pm

SDA 450 belt replacement

Hi all:
On the subject of replacing that little belt that opens & closes the CD tray on an SDA 450.....

How do you get the old belt off to install the new one? I don't want to break anything or take apart anything that doesn't need to be disassembled, so I'm asking for your help. Basically, I'm at a loss to see a way to get the tray out of the way of the pulleys.......I'm sure it's something easy, but I guess I'm too dense to see it. ](*,)

Thanks in advance.

Greg
You can never have too many components.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: SDA 450 belt replacement

Sorry but I don't know. Not much of a audio repair guy. I am sure someone will chime in.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm

GregW wrote:Hi all:
On the subject of replacing that little belt that opens & closes the CD tray on an SDA 450.....

How do you get the old belt off to install the new one? I don't want to break anything or take apart anything that doesn't need to be disassembled, so I'm asking for your help. Basically, I'm at a loss to see a way to get the tray out of the way of the pulleys.......I'm sure it's something easy, but I guess I'm too dense to see it. ](*,)

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Greg,
I have replaced that same belt on my SD/A-450. It's a bitch but it CAN be done without dismantling the transport. There is just enough of a gap between the top of the [large] pully and the transport to pull the belt over the pully but you will have to stretch the belt to make it thin enough to pull thru the gap. I used a very small pick with a hooked tip to pull the belt over the large pully first, then hooked it and pulled it over the small pully. I am planning to replace the electrolytic caps in mine early next week anyway (waiting on caps from Digikey) so maybe tommorow afternoon (?) if I have time I can go ahead and take the cover off and snap some pics showing how I replaced the belt. So-- hang tight dude and we'll get er' done for ya. By the way, I couldn't fine a drive belt so I whittled one out of a bicycle tube and it works fine.
Charlie
<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks Charlie,

I'll be looking forward to your "play by play". =D>

Actually, I just got the belt over the smaller pulley (came in from behind on that one). I have some "detailed use" tools in my gun cleaning box that may help to stretch the belt to clear it under the tray arm onto the big pulley. Thanks for that tip. I've been so paranoid about breaking something that I didn't even think of doing that. [-o<

I got my replacement belt from the fine folks at Belts for Anything. The SDA 450 is a 2.500 Inside Circumference (IC) & a .055 thickness. $2.75 per belt.

http://www.beltsforanything.com/site67.php

Thanks again for the help & encouragement!! :)
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:09 am

Those transports are a bitch!!! Especially if you take apart something that was not made to take apart. ](*,) ](*,)
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:27 am

Let's just hope your store-bought belt can stretch as thin as my bike tube one so that it goes thru the gap and over the pully [-o<
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:06 pm

006.tif
006.tif (1.33 MiB) Viewed 856 times
006.tif
Jazzman53 wrote:
GregW wrote:Hi all:

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Greg,
I have replaced that same belt on my SD/A-450. It's a bitch but it CAN be done without dismantling the transport. There is just enough of a gap between the top of the [large] pully and the transport to pull the belt over the pully but you will have to stretch the belt to make it thin enough to pull thru the gap. I used a very small pick with a hooked tip to pull the belt over the large pully first, then hooked it and pulled it over the small pully. I am planning to replace the electrolytic caps in mine early next week anyway (waiting on caps from Digikey) so maybe tommorow afternoon (?) if I have time I can go ahead and take the cover off and snap some pics showing how I replaced the belt. So-- hang tight dude and we'll get er' done for ya. By the way, I couldn't fine a drive belt so I whittled one out of a bicycle tube and it works fine.
Charlie

Greg,
I've bought several cd players off Ebay with door-not-opening problems and I got confused about which cd player I was remembering in my earlier posts and I left out something very important. When I pulled the cover off my 450 today to take some pics for you, it came back to me that there actually was not enough clearance to get the belt over the pully and I created clearance by filing away some material from the plastic carriage rail. Like you, I couldn't see any way to get the transport apart without destroying it and I finally opted to remove some meat from plastic carriage rail to make clearance for the belt. I actually used a hot knife (butter knife heated on stove) to melt thru and cut away the material, then smoothed it up with a file. It was a bitch to do but provided the clearance to easily replace the belt and it does not impede the action of the mechanism in any way. I'm thinking there should be a better way to do this but I don't know what it might be. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a better solution. Otherwise, what I did will work (see photos):

006.tif

008.tif
008.tif (1.35 MiB) Viewed 856 times
<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Charlie:

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to provide the photos.

Suprisingly, I did manage to get the belt on even with limited clearance.....as with most discoveries, it happened by accident. I managed to clear the back side of the big pulley, but did have a problem getting the belt to clear the center post of said pulley (even when I stretched the belt like you suggested). I got the belt wedged into the center post & used my finger to turn the pulley left & right while pulling on the belt. That little bit of twisting action caused the belt to not only clear the center post but also drop over the front part of the pulley, basically threading itself. After that, I hooked the belt front & rear, stretched it a bit & it dropped onto both the front & back pullies (dental tools are a wonderful thing). \:D/ My tray now opens & closes as it should.

Again, thanks a bunch for your help.

Greg
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:34 am

This is pretty cool, huh? I've already bought a SDA-450 and two DTL-100's off Ebay for peanuts because the doors wouldn't open. 8)
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Wish me luck...I'm starting the belt replacement on a 490t today!!! [-o<
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

kingman

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:38 pm

WOW!!!! That didn't take long!!! I'm a freaking happy camper!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ...I used an old style flat point gap guage to get the band around the big pulley and pulled it into place with a pair of tweezers and toothpick...After that a little finagling and presto!!! IT OPENS AND CLOSES!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm

kingman wrote:WOW!!!! That didn't take long!!! I'm a freaking happy camper!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ...I used an old style flat point gap guage to get the band around the big pulley and pulled it into place with a pair of tweezers and toothpick...After that a little finagling and presto!!! IT OPENS AND CLOSES!!!!!

KOOL!
Geeze, I have feeler gauges too: Wish I had thought of that... your idea is a much better solution than what I did.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Congrats
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Yeah, I've got a bunch of those too. Now that I don't gap my ignition anymore, that's a pretty good use for them.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:44 pm

That is a nice bit of intel. I just changed a 450 belt the hard way... ](*,) ](*,)
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum